1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Dvt Camshaft Cover Oil Leak!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by JohnoDuc, May 2, 2021.

1. New to here and I have a question already.
    The Multistrada I have recently bought has a small oil leak from the front camshaft cover. Around the lobes. Seems quite common. What’s more annoying is it had a full Desmo service at Ducati less than a 1000 miles ago.
    Looks pretty straight forward to take off and re-seal. Has anyone else done this? Any advice? What sealant is recommended? I usually use a sealant called Derko for engine builds which is red and this looks to be grey.
    Thanks in advance

2. It's possible the gasket(s) weren't positioned properly when the cam cover was refitted but either way I'd just replace the gaskets with new. They're not expensive.

Personally speaking I'm not a fan of sealant unless specified in a factory manual. I'd use Wurth if necessary.

There are two gaskets and I think these numbers are correct but you may want to check.

Large (outer): 78811331B
    Small (inner): 78811341B

3. Thanks for the info, I would like to think the main dealer would have replaced the gaskets when they had the covers off.
    I have been looking through the manual but cannot find anything on fitting the camshaft covers.

4. They're rubber gaskets so they wouldn't necessarily need to have been replaced but it's impossible to say without asking them. Perhaps give them a call?

If you're looking in the owner's handbook you won't find anything but I think it's only two bolts holding the cover on. Just access that may be the issue.

If you're prepared to have the bike off the road for a few days and you don't want to buy the gaskets in the first instance, then the only way to find out is to have a look.

Then order the gaskets if required. Maybe that won't be necessary!

5. Ahead of me , ...

6. There is a rubber gasket plus ThreeBond 1215 should be applied on the face between each lobe and at each corner at the lobe outers. Screenshot 2021-05-03 at 10.39.20.png Screenshot 2021-05-03 at 10.39.39.png

#6 Derek, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
  7. Thanks for the reply’s, I’m going to be stripping the bike down this week to give it a thorough going over. I have ordered the sealant. If I need the gaskets then I’ll order some after I have got them off.

8. Good luck with it all.
    And not wishing to sabotage anything here but according to my internet search TB1324 is thread lock and bearing fit.

That seems like a very odd choice.

9. Sorry, my mistake. It should be TB1215. I have edited the post to reflect this.

10. luckily that’s what I ordered! thanks again

11. A collective effort!

12. I check the valves every winter,
    the cover gasket I have now reused for the third time and is tight together with the 4 spots three Bond

Do Not Sell My Personal Information