1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 1200 R V 1200s

Discussion in 'Monster' started by J biker, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Great looking’ bins....
    Bike looks good too.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Think I will manage without a shifter, can manage smooth clutchless changes.
    Will investigate mods required to reduce pressure needed at clutch lever as it feels heavy when using it.

#82 J biker, Feb 16, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  3. Quick review from a few miles on mixed roads.
    Ran out of bottle between the corners at 198kmh on a bumpy section of private track. Not really trying tbh and a risk of wildlife from wooded areas at side of road put me off! The biggest problem will be windblast if you like top speed.
    Gearbox, fairly good. Infact barely noticed it, so must be better than average. Clutchless changes smooth with revs and throttle correct. Neutral, its there, somewhere. But all the gears select easy. 6th is fairly redundant tbh.
    Handling very nice. Holds a line. Near the edge of the tyre and not pushing as roads not in top form and also wearing Rokker jeans, not leathers with sliders.
    Brakes. Red hot.
    Bikini fairing...well it looks good. It does fek all ;)
    Seat, good to start, later felt as though was sliding towards the tank and bit hard. It aint a tourer.
    Engine. oH YESsss. Welcome back to a Ducati. Awesome. Flexible to a degree, lumpy if the revs drop too low. Front end was lifting a few times and this was steady run. o_O
    Fuel consumption. No idea really. Filled it and a the dash said something about 6litres per 100km. Wahtever that is in real money.
    Sound. Lol. Yes sounds like it should with the termi.
    Ohlins. Impressed. First time I have had it and barely noticed it apart from the front end feeling harsh only a few times on rough road. Probably just a case of backing something off a tad. To be investigated. But the Ohlins just generally feels plush.
    Pirelli things. Not my first choice for make. This bike had brand new tyres so will wear these out. Maybe around 14degrees this afternoon. Not much left to the edge. When I first looked I thought the chicken strips were bigger than the area that had been in contact, then realised they must be dual compound and there was obvious line at third, two thirds where the compound must change. Think they will be just fine.
    Dashboard. Nice and clear.
    I will need to read the manual. Clock to set, loads of fine tuning via the dash. Where are kids when you need them. Like setting the feking clock on the cooker, could be a bit simpler. There will be an easy way to display the trip, as there is no fuel gauge. Ducati obviously decided they are not very good at fuel gauges anyway.

Love it. I think the GS will still get wheeled out for jollies (when we can stay away again..) though I think the Monster could be Monstrous fun on the right, travel light, tour.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Just placed an order for an Oberon clutch slave cylinder. Next is a radiator guard..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Its a good idea to fit a oil cooler guard at the same time ,Evotech are damn good

• Like Like x 1
  6. They cannot be added to the R. It uses a different brain than the S
    I did a lot of research on that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oberon have despatched from the UK this morning. Order placed yesterday. Efficient.

8. Interested to know if the oberon makes much of a difference as i may upgrade mine to one

20210207_123430.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. I believe the Termis, if you have the upmap from the factory will make it easier to sell later on. Nobody can wonder if they need to adjust anything to keep it reliable.

10. I read somewhere that if you fit the Termi exhaust but not the performance air filter you don't need the Up Map, is that correct?

11. I have an Arrow can, Sprint filter and a Starace induction kit (new airbox intake and velocity stacks) runs beautifully without being remapped

12. The Oberon is a clutch slave cylinder which is an upgrade to OEM and makes for lighter clutch lever movements. Also helps finding neutral. It's this that i'm interested in.

13. Generally it is always worth mapping the bike to the exhaust if that exhaust is a race exhaust. The more technically advanced the bike is the more it becomes a necessity than a nice to have.

My RSV4 is known for major engine failure if a slip on exhaust is not mapped correctly. In fact Aprilia will only guarantee your warrantee if the dealer fits the Akra pipe with race map!!

14. Have you had it on a dyno to check this is true?

15. will let you know how it goes. Due to arrive some time next week. I need to buy some dot4 brake/clutch fluid as well.

16. no, seat of the pants dyno only and a discussion with a man who knows enough about these things to know the implications. I’ve been after an upmap for ages but don’t want the termis.

• WTF WTF x 1
  17. I have an upmap key for my termi's but not sure if you can use it again? I'm assuming that the clever bastards link it to a system and once used it can't be used again? If that's not the case then i'm more than happy to share it with you.

18. Not sure you could ever get a real answer to that. The exhaust people would not want to say buy this AND that because you need it at any time. Yet if from a manufacturer side they need safety built in...
    Maybe if you buy the full system the results would be different too. If I remember correctly there is a different word flashed across the screen depending which exhaust and its corresponding map was installed.

19. alas it’s not shareable, in dealer installation process swaps the Upmap for the stock ecu map. Very decent of you though!

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. More fun today. Lovely handling motorcycle
    Found another bin 20210219_154359.jpg

#100 J biker, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information