1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 1200s Vs 1260s

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by benjit, Sep 28, 2021.

?
  1. 1200

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. 1260

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  1. Definitely nothing wrong with a 1200, i had mine for 8 years and loved it, now on a 1260 and love it even more!
    Just a more finished and refined example over the 1200 for all the reasons others i previously said
    If your budget allows, i would go for a 1260 and not look back

• Like Like x 1
  2. As always, choices are so individual and personal.
    That said, if you've never owned or ridden a Multistrada, in any of its variants, other than the current abomination V4 (Not wishing to re-direct this thread at all....:punch:), to choose one over another will be difficult.
    I've owned a 2010 model, the twin spark 2014-15 model (Non-DVT version) and now the 1260 MTS. IMO the 1260 is far and away the better model of this range, for a variety of reasons, most of which have been mentioned above in the responses others have given.
    If you can afford it, go for the 1260, you WON'T be disappointed. Neither will you be if you opt for the 1200, especially if you fit a full Termi and get the upmap dealt with too. It will transform an already terrific bike.........

I know, I know, not particularly helpful to you with making a choice, but buy the 1260!!!!!! :motorcycleduc: Only though, if it is in red, which as everyone on this website already knows, is infinitely the fastest colour.o_O

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yes it’s nearly as fast as Grey/silver

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. I have a 1200s, still amazes me everytime I ride it, try them both.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I’ll just leave this here…..

BD88CF1F-8B21-44FF-BDDE-98CD4F1E446E.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  6. you can't leave that there mate, its on a double yellow, with restrictions :yum:laughing:

• Funny Funny x 6
  7. Ran out of petrol!

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. You left it in Bourton?

9. I'll just chip in one more time on this... at the end of the day money is the deciding factor. We all have budgets to work with.
    If you can "afford" a 1260 at market price, then current wisdom here says go for it, and that's from owners who have had both bikes. If your budget it less, or the thought of spending more isn't right for you just now, buy a the 1200, its still a fantastic bike.
    I set myself a £10K budget to start. But he 1200's were obviously older (2015/16) and had more miles. I was looking at bikes coming up for the first desmo service (mid teens miles) , and maybe needing new tyres etc. So in the first year Id be spending another £1500 or so
    Then I did some man math's, and back in February, for £14.5K I bought a 19 month old 1260S Touring with 2K on the clock. After my house its the dearest thing I've ever bought !
    But I figured it will be cheaper in the long term for me. And if I "had" to sell Id get some of that extra back.

First world problems as they say :joy:

• Like Like x 3
  10. That's the conclusion i am coming to - so thanks for sharing your experience.

11. One more last thing... I had the reassurance of 5 months Ducati warranty on my bike (factory 2 years from new) Not too long after they started offering a factory 4 years warranty.
    So if you do have the spare £££ for a younger 1260, that's a lot of peace of mind to factor in.

Good luck, and buy the best you can afford :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  12. I saw that and it is a draw - but I think out of my price bracket!
    The next quandary is S vs Pike Peak I think. …

13. 2 words.

Pikes.

Peak.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. S (and buy a sticker kit...)

• Like Like x 1
  15. If you regularly ride 2 up, with or without luggage, go for the S. The flexibility in changing the suspension settings electronically makes it the right choice.
    Also the lighter wheels on the PP are easier to deform when fully loaded (a friend bought a new PP a couple of years back, and bent the rims on both wheels on his first trip)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sorry to disappoint but forged wheels are stronger than cast. In fact, much stronger and stiffer also.
    The strength of forged is very well documented with a simple search.
    Whatever happened to your friend would have occurred with the cast wheels.
    https://www.vividracing.com/blog/cast-wheels-vs-forged-wheels-whats-the-real-difference/

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. I have had 4 now and each version was better in some ways and worse for me in others. The 1200 felt rawer and more Ducati but the latest 1260 is smoother and slicker in every way. I actually preferred riding the 1200 but the 1260 is just a great bike. Either way you won’t go wrong… enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  18. I'm not disappointed, just speaking from experience.
    They are forged 'lightweight' wheels (due to the stronger grain structure), and the lighter weight is in the thickness of the rims as well.
    As a consequence they bend rather than crack. The advantage of forged is that they can be more easily repaired when bent.
    I've known more forged wheels suffer bent rims than cast (yes I have bent a cast wheel - i hit a step ladder in the outside lane of the motorway at 80mph o_O)

My advice to the OP is to make his own mind up. If he prefers a PP then go for it, but if he suffers bent rims it wont come as a surprise ;)

• Like Like x 2
  19. I haven't ridden any of the new variants of the multistrada and I'm absolutely sure they are cracking motorcycles but I love my 2013 PP it's a definite keeper enjoy what ever bike you buy you definitely won't be disappointed
    IMG_1318.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  20. I don’t think so….. There is the 950 to fly the flag so don’t discount the 950, it will probably do everything you need and do it well too unless you really like willy waving contests at bike meets! ;)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information