1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 1260 Multi Clearance Problem Between Chain And Tyre

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by dddd, Dec 13, 2018.

1. 6 inch rim.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. I saw this post some time ago.
    I was in my garage this afternoon just wiping my 1200s down with ACF when I noticed that the rear "poop scoop" hugger is only about 1mm clear from the sharp edge of the tyre.
    This is one of the advantages of being a bit OCD with a bike, you tend to notice details;)

I reckon that's the culprit here, not the chain.

Was a conclusion reached on this?

3. That "poop scoop" huger was the first thing I removed, once I took delivery of the new bike
    As to progress, its still on going

4. I'm on my third Scorpion II (the second picked up a large flint 5,000 miles on) I haven't had a pillion on or ridden it particularly hard (due to appalling road conditions) and note that after just a few hundred miles I'm getting the tell tale marks on the edge of the tyre! Define "chunky"? a bit over 13 stone?

5. That's not chunky! I hope.

6. Thread resurrection.......

Found this thread whilst looking for another topic & thought I would measure the gap between my tyre & chain after I adjusted my chain, the middle rivet of the chain is exactly on the line of the gauge, but my finger barely fits between tyre & chain, luckily no marks om tyre.

Here is what I found:
    IMG_0580.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. I know that 195/55 should be a profile common across manufacturers but from what people have posted, some tyre carcasses give less clearance between the tyre and the chain. I have more of a concern on the clearance between the tyre and my Arrow silencer, that is less than the thickness of my index finger. Andy

8. My previous 1200S 2017 when fitted with Road 5’s had chunks missing, even though the chain was within spec I thought it was the chain catching the slightly wider tyre, no issues on OEM tyres on my PP but wanted to change to Road 5’s next so need to find out what’s going on too

9. Never had that issue with any tyre on my MTS including Road 3,4,5 Pirelli Angel and Scorpions

#29 michel couque, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  10. neither have I.....

11. Have this issue across multiple Road5s, Not on OEM Scorpions though. Quite honestly it doesn't bother me, it's very slight and that part of the tyre is a sort of sharp ridge with plenty of 'meat'.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. yup ... have same wear on a Dunlop Roadsmart III on my 1260s.

IMG_5370.jpeg

13. Pirreli Road Angel II don't suffer this problem.

14. nor do the stock Pirelli Scorpion IIs

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. I have these exact same marks on my Dunlops RSIIIs on my 1260 and very little chain clearance.

16. Tyres under inflated?

17. 42/38 PSI always, chain properly adjusted; even on the center stand you can see the clearance is very small between the chain and the tire.

18. I have the same problem with Dunlop on my 851. Very little clearance between chain and tire. According to my dealer Dunlops tend to be on the wider end of the spectrum. On my 1260 no problems with either Angel GT or Michelin Road 5.

19. well, aren't you special.
    :p

Do Not Sell My Personal Information