1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 1260 Multi S - Quick Shifter Problem Between 5th And 6th

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by firecat0_0, Sep 17, 2019.

1. QS was never designed to be an automatic transmission, by it's very nature it is designed for high engine speeds with a heavier load on the drivetrain. Same with the downshift, you want to be decelerating hard for it to be positive. The load cell has to cut or blip the engine at a very specific position in the shift linkage, and no matter how accurate that is the actual engine response is unpredictable. It's also passed through the computer so, you know Ducati, lots of opportunities for erratic behavior. The technology is basic and has no future. Dual clutch is the way to go for high perf. auto shifting.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ....and I was told (when I bought the bike) to shift at four and a half thousand revs!

3. I am not convinced h autoblippr is working on mine, what is it supposed to do when functioning correctly?

4. Downshift smoothly on a closed throttle.

The blip is practically imperceptible. Should just snick down a ratio.

Some more sophisticated quick shifters have the ability to program the delay/cut on up shift and the blip on down. On the Multistrada this is not the case, it's set in firmware but will likely be different for different gears, revs etc. One woukd hope if there's enough feedback from users Ducati may look into doing something in a future firmware update.

#24 Bumpkin, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Ducati themselves clarify that when using the QS: "The Ducati Quick Shift is designed to operate at an engine speed above 2500 rpm".
    There is not, nor has there ever been any requirement for it to function properly by 'riding it like you stole it' or to use it only with the throttle 'wide-open'.
    The best way to use it is to turn the useless thing off.....End of.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. False neutrals here also between 5th and 6th under load. Quite scary when your filtering on to motorway traffic

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Glad to know that it isn't just my bike that's facing this. A little bummed that Ducati isn't acknowledging it nor have a fix in place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. No....I do too. Without any problems.

9. No problem here either, never use it 1st to second up or down. and for it work really well and smoothly you need to be on the gas for the upshift, down is fine.

10. Agree, mine works fine, use it all the time and would miss it if I didn’t have it now

11. agree, use it all the time but do get the lurch between 5 and 6 approx 10% of the time

• Like Like x 1
  12. I was out about yesterday and used the QS a fair bit, no issues experienced but I did not use it between 5/6 and that is the only place I have experienced the power cut.

13. I use it all the time but contrary to another post I find it much smoother than using the clutch if the revs are high. If in slow traffic I tend to use the clutch. I also have the same issue between 5th and 6th. Dealer told me there's not a lot that can be done about it as there's a delay that's programmed in across the gears but 5th to 6th can't cope with it under load. I'm just going to use the clutch at that point, if I remember to.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. I get the pull back almost like I've hit the rev limiter on full throttle only between 5th and 6th and I just want to check something.
    When I took my 1260S into the dealer for a service, I happened to mention that I'd installed one of those little red throttle spacers to take up the throttle slack. He mentioned that they had another customer had one of these and the throttle jammed open on a track day causing him to go straight on at a bend and so they do not recommend them. I've not taken mine out yet but just a thought, if you've had the 5th to 6th gear issue, do you also have the throttle spacer installed. I ask because I don't recall having this issue prior to installing but that could because I was in the running period. Just a thought.
    Steve

15. I don’t believe it’s anything to do with the spacer

I don’t have one fitted by the way

16. Good to know, thanks.

17. I have the spacer fitted and have not had a problem with the QS as described

18. One has to wonder if these have actually been through a testing procedure. As in fully documented testing to destruction, then passing and guaranteed not to cause death. I somehow doubt it. But people still buy this stuff and insert it in the throttle. Are they guaranteed to not slip sideways under any possible condition and jamb the throttle? What kind of liability insurance does the manufacturer have?
    Not something I would ever consider installing

• Like Like x 1
  19. I’ve been told by the dealer never to use the quickshifter from 1st to 2nd.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information