1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 1260 Vs '15 Dvt - Back-to-back

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rainman, Feb 5, 2018.

1. I agree with noobie, who are you you imposter :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Looking at that pic it brought back to mind the big fork leg reflector wars :), anyway, I thought the reflectors were there for euro 4 compliance (and safety of course :laughing:), but my mates XR doesn't have them, so why I wonder did Ducati fit them. If they were left off think how much cheaper the Mullti would be :).

3. Listen @feckers, Gareth and that Norbert noobie may think their funny.........And erm OK, yes you are, but just watch it!! .pointyfingeremoji: :D

• Love You Love You x 1
  4. Sorry Wayne, I couldn't access your conversation, something got messed up with my account; please send it again, or just put it in this forum and cause a stir!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. As @pilotpaul demonstrated with his photo The grey one does need that little bit of red. Who will paint my frame?

6. Ducati will if you give them 20795 quid. o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Ahhhhhh!.................................your back, hope they didn't hurt you :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I was missing you Gareth but am unharmed mate, normal service is resumed (read as, talking bollox) :upyeah:

#68 Wayne58, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rainman, if you could only have one bike, would it be the 1260 or the mt10 sp ? And how does the sp suspension compare to the Ducati semi active?

10. Must admit there is a certain temptation to the MT 10 SP touring

11. This past weekend I test rode a 1260 Multi S. I can only compare this to my old Multistrada, a 2011 S. Here is what I thought:

1) Brakes: front brakes are about dead even, I couldn't detect a difference. With any luck, the 1260 won't need the rear brake reverse bled every 15 minutes like my 2011. I give them a tie, with a possible win if the 1260 has a dependable rear brake.

2) Ergonomics: I give the upper hand to the 1260 here. The 1260 is shorter (I'm 5' 8") and has a wider seat; I liked the reach to the ground and the seat much better than my 2011. The handlebars will still need to come back towards me with some Rox Risers just like my 2011, but the 1260 appears to have more cable slack to facilitate this; on my 2011 I had to lengthen the cables. I give the win to the 1260.

3) Handling: Although there has been much ado about the rake and wheelbase changes, on my test ride I couldn't tell the difference in handling, but I wasn't out there trying to play Valentino Rossi either. I give them a tie.

4) Suspension: I rode the 1260 down mostly good roads, and it was smooth as silk. My 2011 had the Ohlins with the SCU, so it was too. On this test ride, I give them a tie.

5) Gauges: This isn't something I care about, so I give them a tie as they both tell me speed and RPM.

6) Engine performance: On my 2011 I had Tuneboy for cruise and remapping, and I had a 43 tooth rear sprocket to help smooth out the lower end and make 6th more usable. It was pretty awesome. The 1260 definitely has more grunt down low. A few times I looked down and was in a higher gear than I thought; it pulls very smoothly from down low, then pulls like a freight train all the way up to around 7k, which is as high as I revved it since it only had 1 mile on it. Is it faster than my Multi? Not sure, but it definitely has more low end, and is smoother everywhere. From a pure usability without modifications standpoint, I have to give the win to the 1260.

7) Fun factor/hooliganism: The longer wheelbase definitely makes the 1260 less wheelie prone. Also, the engine is so smooth and well-behaved in Sport, that it doesn't have the feeling of a wild mustang fighting the bit like my 2011. It may be just as fast and have more power, but the power is much more tame and way less raw and exciting. Putting it in Sport doesn't make you feel like you just released a wild beast anymore. I give a resounding win to the 2011 in this category.

My 2011 Multi was lost in my house fire back in December. If I still had it, there is no way I would trade it in for the 1260. There just isn't enough difference overall, and the motor is more boring.

However, since I no longer have a bike, I bought this one on Saturday. Hall's gave me a good deal, and the better (for me) ergonomics sold me. I am going to miss the 2011's motor and more hooligan attitude. I wanted a new bike for the warranty, and it came down to this one or various leftovers, and I decided that I'd rather have brand new and see if I can live with the less-exciting motor. I mostly do touring, so 90% of the time I'll be glad for the 1260s grunt and smooth characteristics; but the other 10% I may experience some real buyer's remorse. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Don't forget you are comparing a run in loose motor complete with a tuneboy map and modified final gearing to a completely stock standard bike with 1 mile on it
    If you want it a bit more exciting, turn the dam wheelie control off, on my DVT I have found it extremely intrusive and I just leave it off
    I would like to hear your thoughts on it once you get a few more miles up on it

• Like Like x 3
  13. Definitely, I didn't have WC on my 2011 and other guys with DVT bikes have told me the same thing. I pick it up on Saturday, then every nice day I'll play on it and let you guys know what I think as I put some miles on it.

14. Completely different bikes with completely different attitudes. What I would choose if I could have only one would just bring it down to the prevailing intended use, which for me most of my riding is commuting and touring, in which case it's the 1260. Then, at the weekend I'd cry and pine for the MT-10SP simply because it's more fun.

The suspension on the SP is, again, completely different to the setup on the 1260. The SP has Ohlins electronic racing suspension - so the clue is in the name - it's not as plush as the Skyhook setup on roads where you need it. In urban mode the skyhook allows you to ride over speed humps as if they're not there. On the softest setting on the SP you need to lift your backside out of the seat to make the same progress over speed bumps.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Guys,
    Thinking about crash protection, radiator guards, screens, etc., as some of you who have owned the DVT 15-17 model prior to the 1260, will any of the stuff I'm really intent on fitting to the new 1260, when it arrives, simply transfer over, or is it so different that the accessory guys, will have to re-create bits & pieces to suit?

I'm also thinking about Navi-halter sat-nav mount, MRA touring screen,my preferred options, so any feedback about suitability would be genuinely helpful here, as so far when looking about, the only model variants catered for are up to and including the DVT range.
    Cheers for now. :D

16. Should all fit

17. Pick up my 1260 tomorrow and so far all parts / extras from the DVT 2015/17 range fit the 1260, Rad guards, screens, Riding lights, even the Touratech Sump Guard fits the new 1260 engine plus my DVT 2015 Comfort seat fits the 1260!

• Like Like x 1
  18. :) Thanks for the positive feedback guys, now I know where to look for my 1260 stuff!!:thinkingface:

19. Can anyone confirm if the DVT top box mounting plates and brackets fit on the 1260.
    I have no doubt the top box itself will be fine but the design of the rear rack is obviously different on the 1260

20. 100% 1200 DVT to box and mount fits 1260. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information