1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 1260 Vs '15 Dvt - Back-to-back

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rainman, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Thanks for that, all I have to do know is work out how to go about swapping locks around

2. Top box lock is straightforward (be aware of the spring and ball bearing, panniers need the plastic top section which surrounds the lock removing, 2 screws on the outside and 6 inside if memory serves

#82 Nigel Machin, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Really easy...... 2 screws inside top box behind lock, remove the whole locking mechanism and clasp, 1 screw to remove the old barrel, insert new barrel (you get 3 with the bike) and reverse to refit...simples! ;)

4. Thanks for your replies that answers everything

5. Nah, not if you've been riding a Multistrada. Tank range would do your head in for a start and the Multi offers much better protection from the elements. The Yamaha luggage isn't waterproof (although they come with a water-proof inner liner) and you're left with a very ugly set of bolt-on apparatus. The MT-10 is a hooligan and a very practical one at that, but having done 100 miles per day commutes on the first MT-10 I owned I'd still jump on the Ducati for the task of touring.

6. A few observations after my first couple of rides.
    The heated grips are definitely hotter than the original DVT.
    The engine pulls like a train all the way through the rev range, only to running in RPM at the minute, I assume this will only get better.
    It's my first experience of quick shifter/auto blipper and I'm very impressed both up and down.
    While installing the fog lights discovered the side panels are partially held on with Velcro! which didn't work too well. Whether it was the cold conditions to blame I'm not sure, but most of the pads detached from the bodywork, rather than the Velcro separating. The connector for the lights has been trapped under the petrol tank, so I couldn't get to it, and didn't fancy stripping my new bike down any further, so the dealer's going to have a look at the first service. Surely this connector should be easily accessible, as are the handsfree petrol cap and Satnav supplies, it was on my 2015 DVT
    The drain hole in the swingarm where the rear shock mounts actually works, the water drains away instantly.
    Ducati have slightly changed the design of the rear rack, just enough so my Ventura rack no longer fits, why!
    So mostly positives at the moment, hope it continues

#87 Blairso, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Did my own test ride on Friday while my 2015 DVT was being serviced and having the disc and pump recall done. Had the 1260s in grey for most of the day. The bike only had 50 miles on it so I never went above 5k revs.
    The guy was surprised when I mentioned the longer wheelbase - he had no idea about it. And I also informed him the payload has stayed the same

Grips - very toasty and definitely an improvement. Only needed the low setting.
    Seat - felt a bit more firm but I put this down to it being new.
    Suspension - as above but it felt improved for sure. Of course, it might just be the standard setting has changed slightly.
    Turning - I have to say I was conscious of the longer wheelbase and it was a little slower to turn in. In my view it made for a much nicer ride. The whole thing just felt a bit more stable. I think for touring which is where I do 90% of my riding, the bike will be much improved.
    Engine - Loved it! Even on the low revs the engine just pulls no problem. Like a previous poster I had to check a couple of times to see what gear I was in as it just took it in its stride. I’d love it to have been fully run in. The torque and engine mapping were spot on. I didn’t notice any flat spots or surges.
    Display - not convinced it’s better. I think probably because you get used to it and I’m sure I would. It was easier to change riding mode but the info on screen is less detailed.
    QS - worked a treat although the gear box would not find neutral at all at any point! I had to turn the bike off to find it. I’m assured it will ease with wear but if it was to stay like that it would become tedious.

I enjoyed the ride a lot. So much so I did a deal on my bike when I got back . A red s touring pack is booked. It was only when I got back on my own bike I realised both bikes are brilliant at what they do but - the new version in my mind is much improved. I was renewing my bike this year anyway and was considering BMW, KTM but this bike is improved enough to forget those without hesitation. Ducati apparel can stay a while yet

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

8. I wouldn’t , though I guess it’s where you’re going that makes the difference

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I was the same. I had already planned to change at the beginning of February no matter what, but had Ducati not made the improvements that they have then I would have been riding a BMW S1000XR already. I'm glad that I didn't and I'm feeling that my decision to stick with Ducati has been vindicated.

As is often the case with new bikes, it's getting better with every mile. Neutrals are now much easier to find (not completely fixed, but I can find N without too much up-down-up-down) and the recent cold snap has really made the heated grips an actual asset compared the previous items. First service is tomorrow but I can already feel a significant difference in the engine and gearbox now compared to when it was brand new.

Now it's loosened up a bit I can say that 1260 and 1200DVT engines are actually chalk and cheese. The 1260 has a fantastic lump and so flexible. The instant roll-on grunt in all gears from 2K upwards is impressive. The 1200 DVT just can't hold a candle to it. I've said it before but you could stay within the break-in rev range for the rest of the bikes life and it would not be too onerous. With most bikes that I've owned from new the break-in period couldn't end soon enough, but this is only the 2nd bike I've ever owned where the break-in restrictions feel arbitrary. I'm not being unduly restricted from making decent progress in my day-to-day riding and commuting whilst running in. The 1260 constantly ridden below 6K RPM will easily see you loosing your license with ease in the UK. I'm almost not bothered about finding out what happens above 6K RPM because everything else that happens before that is just so good.

At the moment, I'm really scratching my head to think of a better bike for my intended use. There is literally nothing on the market that I would rather have. I've got my MT-10SP sitting there waiting for the weather to give us a decent dry spell, but I'm not exactly wishing my life away as the 1260 has completely got my attention right now.

• Like Like x 4
  10. I'm beginning to wish I could afford one now :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Have you ridden the KTM 1290 Super Adventure S? It is an interesting counterpoint to the Multi.

12. No I haven't, never will, and no it's not. It will be a cold day in hell before a 19" front wheel sees the inside of my garage.

• Like Like x 1
  13. why? Rainman?

14. It's obviously a personal thing but I dislike 19" front wheels and the feeling that they mask from the front as a result of the increased gyroscopic moment caused by the rotating mass of the larger diameter wheel and tyre which tend to also weigh more. Additional mass also affects suspension performance, due to inertia caused by the larger un-sprung mass. Tyre choice is also restricted.

I ride sports bikes on the road, not adventure bikes. I spent much of the early part of my motorcycling career on the track and to my mind they are not interchangeable and they are different horses for different courses. A 19" wheel on the road is a compromise where the intended purpose of said wheel diameter will probably never be exploited by 80% of owners, in an area of the bike where I really don't want to make a compromise, ever.

I understand that some people are happy to make that trade-off for whatever reason, and that's their choice. Personally I don't make compromises due to aesthetics, hence the reason I choose to ride a Mutlistrada with 17" wheels and not an Enduro because I will never ride off road on an £18,500 bike.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I tell a lie. My Nissan GT-R R35 has 20" wheels. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. @Rainman I have a 2017 GS TE, as well as a 2015 DVT and they are very different, but trust me the GS is actually very satisfying to ride, most part no expectations of how fast you can ride one on bendy roads, where as most people have high expectations of Ducatis, Riding a GS is a lot of fun, and surprisingly very nimble. There are plenty of very good road tyres to fit, my main point is Ride one, not saying it will change your mind, but you may be surprised how good they really are.
    Consider the Price Difference a far better all round package, It is a very good alternative.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. Trust me, it's never going to happen. I would sooner give up motorcycling than own a GS and it's right up there with Harley ownership. I can't put any of my specific choice of tyres on there because they just don't exist. I don't mean to offend you but your own personal thoughts on a GS are completely subjective and utterly irrelevant because it's purely your opinion. Leaving the emotive element out of it, just from a purely technical stand point it's never going to meet my requirements.

Right now I'm battling trying to make up my mind about whether to trade in my MT-10SP for a V4S or an R1M because I've test ridden a Panigale V4S and as much as I enjoy the practical nature of my 1260S I do miss my sports bikes. Adventure bikes are so far off my radar they might a well be on a different planet. When I said "a cold day in hell", I bloody well meant it. When I walk into any dealership I don't even see them. They are not there.

18. lol, think my point is if you have not tried it is harder to form a true opinion :)

19. Do I take it you don't like 19" tyres then @Rainman ?
    Heaven forbid should you have to ride on a 21" then :)

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information