1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 1260 Vs '15 Dvt - Back-to-back

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rainman, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Great write up, well done

2. Very true. I don't regret having the 959 Panigale for three wonderful seasons. Circumstances has changed and I have a two bike budget.
    I needed a sport bike that could also be used to ride two-up with some possible luggage space. The 1260 PP is it.
    The Monster will now serve as my hooligan / track sport bike.
    Perhaps one day I will return to a Panigale.

#162 DarR, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  3. The 1200s is exactly the same, gets better with use, don't notice it at all now.
    Found a few false neutrals but I think that was more about me getting used to a new bike.

4. My 1260 was a little difficult to select neutral for a thousand miles or so, but improved with miles. No problem whatsoever now.

5. Really interesting write up
    I am running the Hypermotard 821 SP at the moment but intend to take the plunge in the next couple of months into a multistrada.
    I am torn between the 1260S and the 1260 Pikes Peak
    Any thoughts or advice from existing MTS owners would be greatly appreciated
    Do you think the significant extra cost on the Pikes Peak represents good value?
    I understand I need to pay extra for heated grips on the PP?
    The Ohlins suspension is manual adjustment only, what is the automatic set up like on the S model?
    All comments and advice greatly appreciated guys
    Cheers

6. When I was first looking at buying a Multistrada a year ago I was thinking of the PP, but when I looked at things in more depth, and following a conversation with the dealer I realised the 1260s was the bike for me. I loved the look of the PP, but could not really justify the extra cost. Now a year later I am more than happy with the look of my S and have no regrets on that front. I also realised that for what I wanted from a bike, the skyhook suspension suited my needs the best. I'm not really worried about being able to fine tune the suspension as with the Ohlins, the skyhook does it all (for as much as I need) at the press of a button and works brilliantly. I went for the touring pack, so have the heated grips and main stand, which should be standard on all bikes in my opinion. The grips incidentally work great. Either way the 1260 is a fantastic bike, the best by far I have ever owned. Hope that helps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Horses for courses I suppose, the PP has benefits like better wheels which do make the bike better in terms of handling and acceleration which appeals to sports bike people and the bike is somewhat lighter too, but those who really don't want those small benefits it's a waste so the standard bike with electric suspension and centre stand and heated grips fulfil the criteria of those who want creature comforts I guess. What ratio of sports/touring do you really value is the question which is why the two models exist?
    For me I would prefer the PP because I would take lightness and better components over the durability of the models with the extras. That is my opinion only though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Also if I had the chance why can't they bring in a 'R' version, that would be awesome.

9. Heated grips are an option on both.
    The biggest differences between the Peak and the "S" are 1) the lighter forged wheels for quicker handling and 2) the top of the line serviceable Ohlins suspension. Those two account for the lion's share of the price differential. The rest is pretty much cosmetic.

#169 DarR, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  10. Thanks DarR, much appreciated

12. Thanks Peter T

13. The automatic "Skyhook" suspension of the "S" will electronically adjust the pre-load and dampening for various riding styles and road conditions. It would have been nice to have the same on the Ohlins. I debated this myself when deciding between the two models.
    My concluding reasoning:
    I will only miss the soft "Urban" setting on the "Skyhook" for poor asphalt. Otherwise, the bike will always either be in "Touring or Sport" where the Ohlins excel. The lighter forged wheels should more than compensate for the longer geometry of the new 1260 vs the previous 1200. Last but not least, I like the Termi (although non-functional) and the bling of the Peak.

15. I went for a 1260PP, debated about the S as I hand 1st gen Ohlins with electronic adjust previously and thought it was excellent

If your doing a lot of two up touring I think the S with skyhook is hard to beat to be fair

I’ve had the 1260 PP set up for my weight with an Ohlins tech and its fantastic, still plush enough for comfort but superb confidence handling, I think the lighter wheels do help, don’t do much two up touring now, so PP is the one for me, but I would miss the sky hook if I was still doing a lot of touring two up

And the PP Makes me smile every time I open the garage door :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. I have the 1200s which is great for dialling up settings depending on the load, luggage and passengers.
    I have tried the other power settings but find that it's in sport all the time.
    It takes a bit of time to adjust to the lower or slower power deliveries.
    I think the answer is in the type of riding you plan to do, big miles with a passenger then the luggage is essential but if you are out for a daily blast, Pikes Peak all the way

18. It's not just two-up touring that Skyhook is good for. Select Touring or Sport mode and the suspension self adjusts from compliant at low speed to firming up incrementally as speed increases and or road conditions dictate. It is a reactive system that responds to your, and the roads, inputs. It is a clever piece of kit and you have a suspension guru right there with you adjusting the settings in real time. No matter how good Ohlins are, or how well set up, a fixed adjustment can't replicate what Skyhook does.
    Whether you are sensitive enough to notice the difference, or care that much, is a different topic.
    My advice is base your choice of S or PP on other criteria, such as lighter unsprung weight, appearance, resale value or bling factor.

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Skyhook really comes into its own when you change your load frequently.
    If you're always packing the same weight and style, the Ohlins are superior. They are also simple to adjust manually for an occasional passenger. Moreover, the Ohlins are easily serviceable which is something less frequently discussed. I'm servicing my Monster's Ohlins in the spring where it has 12,000 kms.

#180 DarR, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
Do Not Sell My Personal Information