1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 1260s - 1,500 Miles Completed. Opening The Taps.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rainman, Apr 19, 2018.

1. beveling the discs the little noises

2. I asked on first service about this and was told this is normal on ABS brakes. I find it strange too. Cleaning the front disks with brake-cleaner seems to help, so I usually do this on every wash.

3. I have this too. Never had it on my previous bike which had ABS though.

4. Strangely enough, the engine braking issue that I've made earlier reference to, is still a problem for me on the 1260, seeming to have improved slightly and I do mean, slightly, but I am beginning to adapt to it. In Haute Savoie, it also caused me to change my riding style to 'get on with it', as many a hairpin necessitated adaptation, as noted by Blairso above.
    I also get the front disc 'groan', which absolutely wasn't there on my 2014 Pikes Peak (Non-DVT), but no bar vibration. I'll get the disc issue checked out in case it's a warped disc problem.

A couple of other issues now evident:
    • The cruise control differs 4mph between the green indicator on the LHS mid section of the dash and the speedo reading, at every level, by which I mean on the green indicator when it says 70mph, the bike is actually doing on the speedo reading 74mph, etc, etc. Likely a warranty issue!
    • The pannier on the rider's RHS clashes with the upper section of the exhaust cover slip-on section, which now has a dimpled finish, replicating the heat deflector on the pannier inside face. Likely a warranty issue!
    The bike has now done circa 3,500 miles, 2300 of which were on the recent European trip.
    Definitely now run-in and loosening-up.

Regards
    TonyN

• Like Like x 2
  5. Groan is most probably a pad thing and not a disc thing. I have changed my rotors (after warping one with a disc lock) and changed the pad brand as well (both now are EBC). The groan was instantly gone, only to return during very wet days. Probably nothing to do with warping of the rotors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Had the groaning brake issues since the 2013. Its to do with the Brembo pads. Which also leaves a lot of dust buildup on the discs. Doesn't help in our moggy, sticky weather. I don't profess to washing my bike often enough and did used to go on 200mile plus weekend rideouts regularly throughout the seasons and B roads/goat trials. The brakes seize very often and had a few premature wears of the pads. Prolonged seizure does warp the discs. Happened to my 2015. I think must have been when I went to Ireland. Wet, farm roads, seasalt. Expensive replacements.

I've tried Carbone Lorraine and Ferodos before. They both work well. Do have a different feel to the Brembos. But the Brembos can be intolerant of some brands. The ferodos i fitted didn't sit well and juddered on soft to moderate braking pressures. CLs were ver nice. My favourite amongst the non-OEMs.

Take home message. Clean your brakes regularly!

7. I have had the disc groan on previous Multis but not on the 1260 so far, I do wipe the front discs over regularly so that may help.

The cruise control difference is interesting - same on mine. The speedo will always read over or if calibrated it will be accurate, manufacturers are not allowed to have the speedo reading slow or we could claim back any speeding tickets :)! On mine the cruise control speed reading is always the same as my Sat Nav GPS speed reading (and my sat nav is not paired to the bike).
    My assumption is that the 1260 has a GPS Receiver on it somewhere that is used by the Cruise Control - Why? Could it be that it is used by the Ducati App? I don't use the App and the bike isn't paired to anything. Could it be used by a future integrated Sat Nav update for the Dash?
    My dealers doesn't know about it and is as puzzled as I am - any ideas?

8. I'm not sure if the app uses the onboard satnav as it does require your phone GPS to be switched on. But one never knows.

Can't 100% be sure, but the bike like the Panigales may have a datalogger for track purposes. I think those do use GPS to measure speeds so won't be surprised if there is one on the bike. If they can fit one in a phone....

Edit: Well no. The DDA+ kit is a plugin module for the Panigale and comes with a GPS radio. Not to say one isn't hidden in the multi. Will make sense in some ways because app reads off data from the IMU for other parameters like lean angle etc. Where does the IMU store the data? Rather than make something new, why not just plug in a DDA+ module which is developed and off the shelf in the factory?

9. I had the same thing on my 2017 1200S. The exhaust cover slip-on section was replaced under warranty by Snells. Each time it is taken off, the slip-on has to be positioned carefully before tightening the screw, as otherwise it may touch the pannier. An average tyre fitter will not know this.

The black cover over the exhaust flapper valve also has to be removed to take off the rear wheel. It is held on by three screws which are tiny, corrosion-prone, and made of cheese. They can seize in place. I replaced mine with stainless screws, using copa-slip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BTW you can remove the exhaust and the black cover plate together, just remove the small screw at the bottom of the black cover (the one most prone to corrosion!), loosen the clamp screw on the pipe and a few wiggles and it all comes off in one piece, reverse for reassembly.

11. On the brake groan, Chuki raised a point that I've had also on occasion on mountain bikes with disc brakes before, is that I find chamferring the leading edge of the brake pad has helped reduce noise

12. The cruise control 4mph+ issue is not an issue. It's actually adaptive cruise control; meaning it will go upto 4mph faster on a decent & then automatically throttle back to or close too the set speed. On flat gradients the bike will keep the speed spot on.

13. Tried that. Improves, but not eradicate.

14. I don't agree, as it was precisely the very same on even gradients on an extensive section of motorway, so still bemused, especially as when using it initially on the France trip, there simply wasn't any difference.
    It might have something to do with the conversion from KMH, back to MPH once returned to the UK, but probably not, as this doesn't make that much, if any sense.

Regards
    TonyN

15. Does calibrating the tires make any difference?

16. I don't know, but I'll try that potential 'solution' out and feedback.

Regards
    TonyN

17. I can’t see ABS making a jot of difference to the sound of the brakes.

That said, I’ve noticed the sound. At times it’s like a distant siren on mine. I often find myself looking for an emergency service vehicle in my mirrors, only to realise it’s me making the noise!

18. The cruise control difference is simply that the little green numbers show the actual speed at which the cruise is set. It differs from the speedometer, because the speedometer is intentionally incorrect, as stated in the manual, it is approximately 5% high.

My front brakes groan too, and no cleaning stops it for more than a few miles.

I've never noticed any bar vibrations to speak of, and I actually like the engine braking.

19. I found it really easy to adapt to driving a Tesla - the regenerative braking feels just like a Ducati on the overrun :)

20. Have now got to 3000 miles on my 1260, all weekend riding from picking it up at beginning of May. From day one it has been smooth gear change and loads of torque which has just improved with more miles. I would agree that coming off the power to engine braking can be ''jerky'' that last bit when throttle is closed, this has improved at 3k miles and I think I have naturally adapted. I dont find it an issue, but understand the other comments. Have contemplated installing the little plastic adaptor thats available to take out the throttle slack when closing to see if that makes any difference. I do need a new tyre for rear in 500 miles max!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information