1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 1260s Or V4s

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by meng, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Maybe they will have addressed that somewhat by the time the revised bike comes out.

2. Not if the speedo runs off the front wheel :upyeah:;):joy:

3. V4 engines are always heavy on fuel.

4. I understood BMW fixed that problem with later revisions?

5. Coming from a 1260S and transforming to a V4S I don't really understand all the negatives from 1260 owners. I guess it has something to do with keeping themselves from taking the jump and justifying having the 1260 a while longer :)

I have to say the V4 is a major improvement to my liking. Everything seems better on the V4 compared to the 1260. A lot of small and some major changes.

Forums and articles have a tendency to create huge problems from something someone just said or wrote and did not really justify.

Like the fuel consumption mentioned above in this thread. Some reporters have complained about fuel consumption when testing the MTS V4S. Well, trashing a bike a couple of hours makes consumtion huge! And, 170bhp does require some fuel.

When ridden alongside a BMW R1250GS at touring speeds they reach about the same milage from a full tank, so it can't be that bad, can it?

And the 19» front wheel is a very nice touch for those of us wanting to go some offroad. Multistrada has long suffered in the offroad department, this change makes the bike more true to its name.

If you want a pure road bike, go buy a pure road bike or simply wait for the Pikes-peak version if you want a (little less) multistrada without offroad capabilities :)

#25 Espen, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Fair enough. Each to their own and all that.
    For me it was mainly down to the engine and how it delivers its power. The V4 is a great engine, its powerful and torquey. I just found it a bit too revvy compared to my 1260. It is almost too refined for my liking. Mind you I remember a lot of 1200 owners saying that about the 1260 when it first came out! :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Looks aside the V4 by all accounts could be the best of the crop for this year in that segment .... it’s not my bag but given the choice it would be a no brainier :bucktooth:

8. I mainly question what percentage of Multi owners actually want to do any "offroad" besides a dirt/fire road on occasion. Judging from these forums and the Multis I've seen in the wild, that is a small percentage. Most people wanted a powerful bike where you sat in a reasonable position. In fact, I think this is the majority of people buying GSs as well.

And I'll wait and see on the gas mileage, figures are depressing to me. I wonder if I test ride one if they'll let me put two tanks of gas through it? My old dealer would have, but Ducati wouldn't play nice so after 37 years they no longer sell Ducs.

Yes, people like me didn't like that the 1260 was more refined, which is exactly why I worry when they say this is even more so. I still stand by disliking that about my 1260? Did the people that expressed that opinion suddenly do an about face that I'm not aware of?

The bike is definitely worth a test ride, especially from reading about the new ergonomics, but if its power delivery is too much GS like, or it gets 32 MPG (US) then it won't be mine.

9. Sounds like you’re more into old school bikes. None of the new bikes I’ve tested are unrefined

10. Well, I thought my 2011 1200 was about perfect in power, power delivery, and handling. I don't really consider 10 years ago as old school. If it had a working rear brake and cruise control as standard, I think it would have been the perfect motorcycle. I wish I still had it. The 1260 is a close second, but got heavier and more refined (less exciting). We'll see what I think of the V4S. I hope I'm wrong and decide I want it, because the seat surface is more flat which would be nice.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wait, Multistradas are supposed to have rear brakes? Neither my 1200 or my 1260 have anything effective past a hill stop brake :D

• Like Like x 2
  12. Picked up my 2018 1260s loved it confirmed i made right decision not to buy v4 seen this post About v4 engine recall
    Not sure if true

13. Rumour mill in full swing, blinking Chinese whispers at this stage :rolleyes:

14. Haven ridden both, you're either buying a rip off GS (V4.. No shockers there) or a proper duke.

No Chinese whispers there mate, just opinions. Everyone welcome to their own.

15. I was referring to the rumour that the recall on the V4 requiring the replacement of the engine and for some shipping back to Italy. Well aware of the differences in opinion on the V4/V2 Mutley, my post wasn't about that but the video I quoted.

I've not tried the V4 yet, I'm going to be at my dealers on Tuesday and did ask on the phone but they aren't doing test rides at the moment apparently due to Covid. No intention to trade in my 1260. I like a V4 having owned a series of VFRs, I tested the Panigale V4s early last year and liked the idea of that in a Mutley. However, the execution of that concept, in theory, doesn't quite hit the mark for me. Riding it might possibly change that opinion but it's looking like a test ride won't be possible for a couple of months now. On the bright side there might be some second hand ones on the market sooner than expected...

#35 Bumpkin, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Entirely my mistake then. Apologies.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Not according to the other thread.

18. Had my 1260s in for a service so took out a V4 for a few hours top of range model, my observations:
    Gearbox much more refined
    QS more refined
    Good balance on bike and weight lower down
    19' inch front wheel nor a major problem on cornering but issue with being able to gets sports rubber versus stock tyres - did not like these on 1260s
    Engine nice, funny mix of twin and 4 - but not a massive difference from twin on 1260s
    adaptive cruise actually works well
    seat - absolutely bleeding awful! - that would need to be changed to buy one

For me - a great bike but no compelling reason to change at this point

19. wonder how that would work with keeping the heated seat option? The bike will probably throw up a fault saying the seats missing :laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  20. I bought my 1260 just a few weeks before the V4 was announced. At first I was really upset I didn't wait. That V4 engine seems really sweet and the new display is awesome. But nothing else really interested me. In fact, when I saw the first photos of the V4 I was thrilled I got my 1260. To me the V4 looks like a bigger, fancier V-Strom. I got the 1260S Grand Tour and I absolutely love the look, single sided swing arm, and the value of the side cases, heated grips, and aux lights. I don't know others' experience, but I priced out the GT and a regular 1260S, then added the touring package and it was over $1000 more after the dealer's installation charges.
    Now after getting more miles on my 1260 I absolutely love it and don't ever think about the V4. All of this is purely subjective, but that's my experience with the same dilemma.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information