1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 900 Ss Restoration (slow)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wolfram, Jun 12, 2015.

1. results of the oil change - those dremmel wire brush hairs get in everywhere!
    [​IMG]

2. best check the oil screen too before you refill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. oil screen[​IMG]

UPDATE: At 1000 mile oil-change - totally clean - no swarf and no dremmel wires. HAPPY!

#463 wolfram, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  4. yukk! clean in paraffin.

5. I have these - arrived in the post today. I'm perhaps a bit thick as I still cant quite visualize where in the frame they connect. Pictures?

Also - does anyone know if the brackets were painted frame colour originally?

• Like Like x 1
  6. no paint, just plated from factory, they affix inside the top of the frame facing to the rear, I'll get a picture!
    that was harder than I thought, note the nylon washer propping open the gap twixt frame and fairing, this goes between the inside of the fairing and the wellnut face, hope this helps some, camera not great.
    DSCF7144.JPG DSCF7145.JPG DSCF7146.JPG

#466 WAH900ss, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Great! i was thinking they came down vertically (not sure why). Helpful, you have been!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Be very careful regarding your insurance. If you have not filled the proposal out accurately e.g. different colour, they are quite within their rights to void your policy and not pay out in the event of a claim.

#468 Samurai, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  9. Those two little curved silver pieces on the screen filter.......were they soft-ish or hard?

IE, mastic gasket stuff from some bolts threads or aluminium?

10. thinking of filling it out 'white' as the frame and wheels will stay that colour

11. I know what they might mean... but i'm hoping they are bits of aluminium duct tape - I used this to block up various bits during painting. I'll be doing another oil change at 600 miles and hope to see a clear screen!

EDIT: screen was clear at 1000 miles, phew! I have been advised by two ex ducati race/pro mechanics independently that the oil galley way plug problem becomes obvious early on in an engines life... VERY unlikely to occur on an engine that has been trouble free for 14000 miles plus.

#471 wolfram, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  12. #472 wolfram, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  13. very nice, I'm biased but I do like to see that lovely lump on show:upyeah: (seat looks posh, is it new?)

EDIT: ok now I'm conflicted, just looked at your full fairing pics and can't decide, they both look great, I suggest you build another so you have one of each;)

#473 WAH900ss, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Update: As I tried to drive to work this morning I heard a horible grinding noise on hitting the brakes at the bottom of the alley. get off to investigate. nothing wrong with pads, calipers or discs. Hmm... I then spot the 'fork dive' smear on the stanchion and realisation dawns! I had put the bottom fairing strut on back to front! It was hitting the front mudguard on heavy braking. Return to base and remove then reattach. Off to work!

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  15. DIY anti-dive?:)

16. Been repairing my red tank - it seems red hammerite smooth is a pretty good colour match - i'm only doing the underside.
    [​IMG]

This was the 'Cafe Racer' look at work yesterday - funny how this look appeals to some people WAYY more than the full fairings. I like both

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  17. Just pulled the fuel pump out of the red tank - this was the original tank that had stood 13 years with fuel in it... as you can see from the pictures, everything is covered in varnish - it smells just like a furniture polishers workshop. Anyone buying a bike that has stood should definitely go straight to the fuel system and do a complete overhaul.

[​IMG]

I note that the fuel pump is stamped 'made in the UK' - its the only part I have come across to be British.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ew, thats old and foosty, think you need a new filter

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. well, after the supersausage i kept on riding... first to Norfolk, then Ramsgate - turned over to 1000 mile mark post rebuild. on the M2 just after the crossing i had a bit of a scary moment in the fast lane with gearbox crunches and a false neutral. This made me convinced my 'snatchy' clutch was not just a normal one. I booked in to see Ducati Pro Team Ltd – #1 Ducati Technical Centre in Southeast England in Rochester on the way back north. Alec Short did an oil and filter change for me (clean as a whistle). He then stripped down the clutch. I vaguely remember it being mentioned that the stack was 'non-standard' when we opened it up last time. we had decided to keep it like that for some reason ?cost? - Alec swapped out an unusual looking friction plate and added in two standard steels of the right thickness. I now have a standard stack and boy what an improvement! i can pull away from lights without kangarooing and grinding! So thankful for the excellent service from Alec - i put him on the spot with a rush job and he delivered in spades!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Another report concerning excellent service... This time it was italia moto in lincoln... https://g.co/kgs/cJc7q0

I filled up with fuel in Lincoln and the 30A main fuse blew when i turned the key. I pushed the bike to a parking space. After finding a supply of fuses from a classic car shop nearby I traced the short to the fuel tank. I blew 3 fuses before i figured that out. It would be fine if the tank was hinged up, but would short out and blow the fuse when the tank was lowered. I could not find any obvious visual sign of short.

I unplugged the pump and this allowed the bike to run with the tank down. I was then going to attempt the next 150 miles with no fuel pump. I was driving through Lincoln gingerly, when i passed italia moto - Ducati garage. They delayed servicing an 848 (sorry if this was yours!) and helped remove the tank, drain it, remove fuel pump, cut the internal pump supply wire, check for continuity, rebuild all, and get me on my way. We never really got to the bottom of the issue, but think the short was due to the level sender nut fouling the frame. We guess pressure of a full tank was stressing internal wiring. We shifted the tank forward to avoid the pressure and used cable ties to secure it temporarily.

I got home... Ill have to figure out a permanent fix

These bikes have potential to strand!

#480 wolfram, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information