1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 900 Ss Restoration (slow)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wolfram, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Question, did early SS bikes come WITHOUT front brake pad retaining springs? I dont have any, and the rattle is begining to get on my nerves. I notice some sellers on ebay showing calipers and pads also sans retaining springs... was this an upgrade?

2. There are some pin and spring replacements on this page. Didn't have time to check the exact reference but it's a starting point.

Check Goldline P34?

Gutsibits Moto Guzzi Spares & Accessories - The Shop - All - Brakes

• Like Like x 1
  3. Try a KTM main dealer...............Many calipers on Ducatis were / are used on KTMs........

..........and they will probably be half the cost of those (if any) supplied by a Ducati dealer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Google Trevor Pope. They are a KTM dealer with Brembo parts available online.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wolfram you asked the same question on Sunday of me and Paul. The answer is yes, there should be an anti-rattle spring that presses down on the top of the pads, and then sit over the edge of the caliper and is held in place with a pin.

upload_2016-8-26_13-45-48.png

This looks to be the right part for the front brakes

• Like Like x 1

6. Thanks - ive been busy today I havent been able to ring more than 3 suppliers so far (on lunch break) all have said they dont have the right one (including this one!)... I'll try them again.

7. Ordered - second time lucky!

8. This is the same pump after a week in Meths and a scrub with a copper brush. good result - not sure it will work yet!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. Fuel pump, although clean, did not work. Had to de-solder the one out of the black tank. New one on order.

The bike is now it's original red.

[​IMG]

I will fiddle with the black tank sender unit over the winter to fix the fault. One thing I notice was that the red tank sender unit nut does not foul the frame using the same hinge. It is an early type hinge, unlike most that are to be seen on fleabay.

So I will do a photoshoot sometime this week in the original 'back lane' location for direct before and after comparison, and then I guess this Thread is complete. I just ticked over 1500 miles since rebuild with another 100 mile tour of the north york moors with the middlesbrough and district motor club Motorclub | motorsport | Middlesbrough & District Motor Club |

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  10. The upholsterer has finished the seat in Grey - This is the original look for the Black bike. There was enough material to do a second cover, so in the unlikely event anyone else wants a grey one... Give me a shout.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Epic thread wolfram. Very useful to me as I contemplate the rebuild of my newly acquired 92 half-faired 900ss... in bits, with no helpful photos, labelling or diagrams!! Wish me luck... :)

12. I do! I hope you enjoy it. Thats the main thing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Massively looking forward to it. I've just rebuilt a 1992 Yamaha DT200WR and a 1982 DT125LC, so got a taste for it now. The 900ss will be the most challenging yet, but possibly the most rewarding. I'll post progress on here as I go, and I've just created a Facebook group for it. Thanks again for your inspiration and the mass of useful information on here.

• Like Like x 2
  14. PS - like your Hunter S Thompson quote. One of my favourites is "Being shot out of a cannon is always better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God invented fast motorcycles, Bubba.". Putting that on my signature right now!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chappie, theres a wealth of knowledge on here and whatever you may need help with one of us can help

16. Thanks Desmo. I'm in a "phoney war" stage at the moment, having got the bike, in bits, but with no photos or notes/diagrams. The engine is booked in for a rebuild, the tank and bodywork booked in for a respray, and the shock will be going off for a rebuild. Once that's all back the reassembly will start, which is where I'm definitely going to need your help. I do have a workshop manual and the Haynes manual, plus a PDF of the parts list, some experience of Ducati ownership (my fourth) and rebuilding bikes (my third), plus the enthusiasm to do it. With help from you good people on the forum I'm sure it'll be fine...!
    To be fair, apart from the snapped studs (x2, one out, the other still in place and below the level of the crankcase), a missing piston, scabby casings, a stiff shock and probably seized brake pistons, the bike is in largely good nick and 99% complete. It'll be a breeze... hahaha!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wolfram - this is an extremely useful list to me, particularly as I have a tub of fasteners and no clue where they came from or even if they came from the bike (most do, but there's some oddities in there for sure!). It must have taken you ages. I've copied it off and will use it to sort out what I do and don't have.
    One question you might be able to answer immediately though: is the top shock mount bolt threaded along its length? There is a bolt in the collection which is the right length and diameter pitch to fit that role, but it's threaded, whereas I would it expect to have a plan shank and threaded end only where it meets the captive nut in the frame. I think it probably is, from some of the comments I've read, but if you could confirm that would be helpful. Can't immediately post a photo as I'm not at home right now. The photo is the tub of fasteners I've received and cleaned up so far. There are a few more to come...

IMG_6579.JPG

18. Good question, I am not 100% but think they are both shanked

19. IRCC the shock bolts are partially shanked - on my OEM ones and the replacements I used, there was some threaded (other than what was required to tighten the nut up) but I think there was enough to have mostly shank through the eyes of the shock.

20. Hmm. Well, that's what I would have expected, so perhaps the bolt I have is not the top shock mount bolt after all. In which case I have no clue what it's for, or where the correct bolt has gone. Never mind! I would have been surprised if it had been fully threaded, but I'm sure I read a comment somewhere (possibly in wolfram's thread, but maybe not) about the bolt being that way and being changed for a shanked bolt as the writer wasn't happy about it. As I wouldn't be either!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information