1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 900 Ss Restoration (slow)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wolfram, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Don't know the answer of the top of my head - sorry.

Love Dr Thompson!

• Like Like x 1
  2. BAD NEWS!

Most of my pictures in this thread are hosted in my Dropbox public folder. I have had an email recently stating that they are discontinuing this feature, and all old links will cease to work from the 15th March.

99% of PHOTO's will disappear from this thread - as will spreadsheets and other uploaded files.

They propose another method, which i am just about to try with a test image below...
    [​IMG]

Which seems to work. But it will be touch and go if I have the time to convert all my links before the 15th. Some comments on other threads will be affected, but I cant look for everything before the 15th. I'll have to prioritize this thread.

This has annoyed me - does anyone use a simple system to post pictures here they would recommend as an alternative? I want to leave Dropbox as a protest if possible.

3. I just post direct from phone

4. testing that out

1489330608188-1787549479.jpg

5. how do you get an inline image embedded in post from phone direct?

6. I wonder if someone can help me. i have a 1997 ducati 900ss and cant find where two wires grey-black connect and its not in the diagram. the wiring harness flows to the left of the bike and it looks like it goes back to the front of the bike. the grey-black wires have green tips/connectors. does this go into the regulator?

7. got a pic?

8. On my 1997 750 I don't recall any Grey/Black wires.

White/Black, yes. They definitely don't go to the reg/rec.

More likely: - Front indicators - left side, switch and warning light (right side was White/Green)

9. i managed to finally find it. the wires were detached from the socket that belong to the side stand.

thanks for responding.

10. i managed to finally find it. the wires were detached from the socket that belong to the side stand.

thanks for responding.

11. So you meant a 'Grey' wire and a 'Black' wire rather than 'grey-black' wires?

#511 Ghost Rider, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2017
  12. Arquebus, Im after the following part number 067020005 - WARNING LIGHTS MARKING PLATE. Any idea where I might find a new or used but un excellent condition? Also im new to the forum so.maybe you can recommend where I could post this...

13. New ones are expensive for what they are - you can get one if you phone Craig at Moto-Rapido (mention you are a forum member and you might get 10% off). If you private message sniffipn (a member on this forum) he should have a spare as I let him have two spares when I sold him my SS. Whether he would sell it to you is his choice, of course. (Even if he can find it among all the other stuff I let him have).

Use the Wanted section for other parts you need.

AL

#513 Ghost Rider, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2017
  14. I tried ordering one a few months ago from another South Coast Ducati Dealer only to be told they are no longer available.
    I was there anyway and took their word for it, so would be interested to hear if the ever helpful Craig can still get them.

Nasher

15. Well, It took just over 12 months but it did happen. The fully restored 'as good as new' 900ss broke down.

I limped home, but with a bad missfire. Just took the plugs out to find them well sooty

I'm fairly sure this is due to a bad ignition system. Suspects are:

Plugs
    Leads
    Coils
    Igniters
    Connections to igniters
    Pick up

Is that it? could the reg/rec or a dodgy battery cause missfire?

I'm thinking of getting an oscilloscope to help fault find this. Has anyone got any recommendations for that?

16. Was the misfire 'regular' or varied?

Regular suggests ignition / electrics; varied suggests fuel / carbs.

I changed the HT leads to wire core type; plugs and caps (both to NGK). Carbs can be an effing nuisance trying to tie down a misfire, usually a backfire on the overrun or spitting through the airbox..

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Had similar symptoms that were eventually traced to dodgy cdi igniter. Also changed the regulator.

This site has prices lower than I'd previously seen.
    https://www.carmo.nl/index.php?main...86_1440_1612&zenid=3muo2plne8mvnv86490kkesra6

#517 corrosio non forsit, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I did have a backfire on overrun when I had the K&N with open airbox on. I have swapped back to standard airbox lid now and it was running fine. I strongly suspect ignition because it was of very sudden onset.

19. Uprated coils help with fouled plugs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. I have reinstated all the photos on this thread :)

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information