1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 900ss Refurb.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by portboy, Nov 19, 2019.

1. 7F861FF1-025C-437E-9738-CB6786CA0BFB.jpeg ^ I don’t remember them but a picture might jog the memory. They nearly always fitted MTA (normally all black as above) which were a very good plug cap in my opinion.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Have you thought about buying new leads from @Exige
    I got a report back from Ducati Mcr yesterday showing them being fitted along with the rest of the work being carried out.
    In the engineers video report he said one of the cables was a lot longer that the original, although not to spec he reckoned it was an improvement on the original as it could be fixed to a better earth on the engine.
    Whilst trying to keep to original as possible I don’t mind making this kind of ‘improvement’

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yes, they are winging there way to me as we speak, Exy has explained the fitment of the negative cable it needs to be re-routed as to avoid touching the belt covers .

• Like Like x 3
  4. ok, so those caps have resistors built into them, that's what the 5000 ohm label is, so you definitely don't want plugs with resistors in them in conjunction.

5. I really wish Stu's cables had been available when I had my SS.
    Even with a new battery it was a seriously reluctant starter and when it did start, it was often as I took my finger off the button, as though the current bring taken by the starting circuit left insufficient for the ignition system.

• Like Like x 1
  6. correct, you have that right as far as i'm interned. There are people running resistors in cap, plug and lead sometimes without realising they don't need to.

• Like Like x 1
  7. indeed Chris, especially when owner goes into the generic store or online order and asks for plugs to fit X, and gets told Oh yea that's ngk XY9e but I've got XYR9E .. they're basically the same, then gets home, fits them and within 100 miles the thing won't fire and the plugs are shagged.

I had this with my very first SRAD, spent back then 40 quid on denso iridium jesus plugs and within a week they were binned.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Here is me caps and coils.....

P1040089.JPG

P1040090.JPG

9. :upyeah:they could be standard - no idea. Same resistance as std (5K ohms). Whatever you do, don't try unscrewing the leads from the coils as it will wreck them - they are not the screw in type - coils are original by the looks.

10. They are the OEM type that were fitted to mine. Junked straight away for NGK caps.

11. Even the later black coils were better than the light grey ones.

If not screw-in HT lead type, then the leads are most likely carbon ones which can break down when new, let alone when old.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. they were just ordinary wire Al, and not always copper from memory.

• Like Like x 1
  13. When I got it, my SS was so prone to fouling that it came with a spare plug under the seat.
    I got some California Cycleworks coils and it was completely cured. It idled and picked up better too.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The caps are Bosch 5 ohms rated, unscrewed the caps and revealed wire HT leads the front pot cap showed corrosion on the self tapped screw, the wire contact in the lead also signs of corrosion, which won't help . Fitted the new plugs no different no sign of firing, just wetted the new plugs (resistor type). Next step ordinary plug caps to be ordered.
    Exy's cable kit has arrived so will be studying them for fitting later, getting a bit cold in the cave.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ouch, yes Exy has warned me so fully expecting to replace them. The bike has been laid up since 2012, but the seller in his advert said he fired it up prior to selling it. Funny it was shipped to me minus the battery ? Unless he clipped a car battery onto it , i stole the bike from him so no complaints.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chilly caves are no fun...

17. Re: cap resistor - there's a 'K' in there Tony :upyeah: haven't read whole thread - have you got any sign of a spark on either cylinder?

18. Hi Chris, yes both are sparking outside the pots.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Thanks Chris.....the ones I removed from mine were in fact a bodge of up the rubber caps with the carbon leads.....it was no wonder they wouldn't stay on the screws.

Plugs, caps and leads were the first things I dealt with when I got the bike.

Interestingly I did also have some brand new Champion plugs of the right OEM reference number but the sparks they produced were tiny compared with the correct NGK ones.

AL

#59 Arquebus, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. It is odd IMO that both spark outside but possibly break down inside.

Even a poor spark should get some sort of bang unless the coils etc are so weak.

It might be a good idea to see if they are sparking at the right time if not already checked.

Also check the pickup wiring.....are they sending to the wrong coil and HT lead?

#60 Arquebus, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
Do Not Sell My Personal Information