1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1992 900ss Front Brake Master Cylinder

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by DucatiChappie, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Aaaaarrrrgghhhh....!!

So close and yet so far. Bike is now 99% together. Last job before MoT was to bleed the brakes which I have done but the fronts still felt a little spongey. Bike has got new Goodridge hoses on it (twin line setup) from its previous owner. There's no bleed nipple on the top banjo so I thought I would try slackening the banjo it to "burp" it. No joy, stuck fast (my friend who I bought the bike off swears he wouldn't have overtightened it, so it can only have been corrosion, though overall the MC looks in good condition).

Then I noticed that on full left lock the hoses were hitting the instruments (actually they were slowly taking the foam off), which I'm fairly certain would be an MoT failure, so no option but to try to undo the banjo. Long story short, the bolt sheared off next to the MC body. Aargh.

Even with tension off the bolt the stump wouldn't come out, and I tried penetrating oil, heat, a stud extractor, impact and lots of swearing. I've now drilled it as far as it'll go and it's still not shifting, so it looks like the master cylinder is now scrap.

I'm guessing a new one is in the £130+ region, so might try a used one. There's a Monster one on the Bay at the moment for a reasonable £50, though I need to confirm that it will do the job wrt bore size. Alternatively, does anyone here have a spare (in decent condition) they'd like to part with (for cash, obv)?

The stamping on the body of the scrap one is 9K25 15, which I understand means a 15mm bore.

Any help or advice (other than to get better at removing seized fasteners) appreciated.

Cheers

#1 DucatiChappie, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. Which type of MC? The coffin type with the built in brake lever or the plastic reservoir type (I suspect the latter)......

3. No it's the earlier coffin type.

4. The code on the one on eBay is 5D08-15, which I'm guessing means also 15 mm bore, therefore, compatible, right?

5. Monster and SS shared a lot of components.

6. I think the OEM part number you should look for is 624.4.004.1C (which may have been superseded) That includes everything as well as the brake lever.

But you can always fit the plastic reservoir type if you can find one of those.

However, if it were mine, I would take the cylinder to an engineer and get the stub removed , even if it mean a new thread and adapter screwed into that, which could take the banjo bolt at the other end of the adapter.

AL

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. I could sell you one. It's only about 2 years old as I bought it new. I paid full whack from Ducati and it's pretty much mint condition due to this. Therefore I would be asking £75 inc postage. I can assure you it's good as it's only just come off my bike having fitted a Brembo radial master a few weeks back. Can provide pics if you like.

You could buy an older one off eBay but it may have failing seals due to age. I had to buy new as mine needed new seals and there's no rebuild kit I could find for the brake. Could only find ones for the clutch.
    Ian

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks Ian, I'm interested. I'm taking mine to have someone take a look at whether or not it can be salvaged but not until tomorrow. Depending on what he says I might take you up on that. I totally get the risk on buying a used one blind off eBay.
    Thanks and I'll be in touch.
    Cheers

9. No worries, let me know.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  10. If it doesn't work out take up Ian's offer as a skanky 20 year old used one of questionable origin is fifty quid minimum all day long on ebay.

11. Exactly. Mines a bargain

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ian - you're on. I'll PM you.
    Cheers
    James

13. I've got one, I took it off my 2006 Super Sport in 2007 so only on the bike for Less than 6000 miles,
    you can have it for the price of the postage just let me know :upyeah:

#13 borderblaster, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Dilemma... loll

15. Aaaarrghh!! :sob:

16. Borderblaster,

Thanks for your kind offer, it's much appreciated. I've committed to buying Desmoquattro's, so not needed now. But thank you anyway, love the help on forums!
    Cheers
    James

• Like Like x 1
  17. That's OK, good luck with getting sorted and back on the road.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information