1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1993 750ss Will Not Run.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dr.Frankinstien’sDuc, Dec 3, 2019.

1. We’ve not been married for long. March will be our one year anniversary. I figure I can get away with more now vs later :laughing:. Then again you might be right :thinkingface:. In which case I will ride off into the sunset on my creation :motorcycleduc:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. He says it's making a “kah-bluh ka-bluh ka-bluh” when he tries to start which sounds like turning over noises.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. I might have misspoke. She will turn over but she will not run. I’m about to post a video to clear up confusion and see how close my onomatopoeia is. :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. could be so many things, a compression test might help as a favourite could be zero or even negative value on exhaust opener shim(s) also worth checking ignition pick-ups and leads into crankcase for failing/shorting to earth respectively.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Fuel pump sounds ok, have you tried coaxing with Easy start spray or similar yet to see if it will produce a cough? Have you got a spark if you connect a slave plug and rest on cylinder head/earth?

• Like Like x 2
  6. I went through two cans of starter fluid :joy:. And I never got that far, I just used my multi-meter in tne plug caps and even on the outlets of the coils and I got nothing. I ordered ExactFit coil kit from CA-Cycleworks.

7. Either way, they are a good investment but it's highly unlikely that the problem is down to coils alone. There is another thread running on here with bike displaying similar symptoms. Reading above post I would be thoroughly checking the ignition pick-ups now, if one or two of these are at fault or the wiring making poor contact or earthing-out then std coils/new improved coils will make no difference. Also - have you tried different exciters units yet just to rule them out?

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Good thinking. Definitely will check the wires coming from the pick-ups tomorrow with the multimeter. And to be honest haven’t even thought about the exciter, good thinking. I’ll check those wires tomorrow as well. Any tips on good replacement exciters/connectors and/or pickups?

9. As far as i'm aware, these are the only aftermarket pick-ups (Electrex) and they are possibly as good as the originals, i've fitted many and price seems reasonable. The original type are still available I think, but no idea of price these days. The originals have a connector fitted as std within the crankcase but it's not an ideal set-up being constantly immersed in hot oil so best insulate carefully. I have often not bothered with the tiny connectors and instead wrapped mechanically and then soldered before insulating.

https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/P8.html

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. The exact cable set done it for mine Frankie, my recent acquired 900ss had been laid up for years. I had fitted new battery and plugs, fresh fuel no good. Strapped a set of exact cables on and hey presto .

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Is your multimeter still working?
    I wouldn't have thought exposing it to the HT output of a coil would have done it a lot of good...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. It’s made for A/C units it can handle a transformer running off 240.

13. Yes, but the HT output of an ignition coil is somewhere in the region of 10,000V !

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. It seemed to be working properly on capacitors yesterday. But could very well could be why it read nada though.

15. Maybe lack of output from the coils enabled it to survive

16. Sorry I’m too lazy to scroll up to see if you’ve already done this but have you pulled the plugs to check if they are sparking outside of the cylinders?

17. I agree. It's important that you establish that there is no spark before investigating further. Use a fresh plug as those in the engine could be fouled.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. You're asking your multimeter to measure very high (kilo)voltages with very short duration pulses; ignition systems are not the place for multimeters. Better off with an oscilloscope with HV probes! As others have said - check sparks with spark plugs;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information