1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1994 900 Ss Cafe Racer Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by MonkeyDog, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Hey guys,
    I'm just at the start of this journey.
    Phase 1
    Forks are away at Brooks being re-built and nitrided
    New Nitron rear shock on order
    I'm planning to fit a 7 inch LEDc headlight with a bikini fairing and a cafe style single seat unit
    Obviosly some pipes, while I wait for some Termi's to come up.

Can anyone help with tail units that fit the 210mm tank width and 248mm max width?
    Also, I'm struggling with where to hide the electrical gubbins around a new headlight arrangement.
    Oh, one other thing... Has anyone moved the oil cooler higher and can give some advice please?

All suggestions gratefully recieved.

Thanks

MD

2. Yes I have a suggestion - pictures :eyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. F7D2CB8A-7759-4D65-937D-2F2D6A6976A2.jpeg F2203257-2FC5-4FE5-8916-6442DCA1A611.png 6AFDDA76-70F6-4D67-909A-456DC5B4E138.jpeg 73D696ED-47BF-4825-958B-97B2A2875676.jpeg Oooops, here you go

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MonkeyDog,
    I recall reading (I have not done it) if you fit the oil cooler higher you will not be able to fit the brace (item 27) if you stay with bikini fairings
    I think you just swap the covers, but hoses might be a little tricky.

upload_2020-4-7_12-24-51.png

upload_2020-4-7_12-31-36.png

Only a personal opinion but I would change the tank to give a flat look and create a flat line across the bike from fairing / tank & seat. The upward slope of the standard tank does not do it for me. I think with the right tank you don't even need the fairing. But that's just me.

upload_2020-4-7_12-38-7.png

upload_2020-4-7_12-43-40.png

https://waltsiegl.com/

Cheers Gaz

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gaz is right..........with the OEM style half fairing, you definitely can't fit the bottom cross brace panel if you raise the oil cooler to the top rocker cover.

However, I had both fairings for my SS and in my opinion, leaving the bottom cross brace panel off didn't cause any problems with the rigidity of the fairing itself, providing the other four side fixings and the nose fixings were sound.

I can't say, though, if it caused any issues with airflow or cooling.

But, raising the oil cooler to that higher position didn't really help that much other than a few less stones hit it.

I extended my front mudguard to lessen the possibility of stones whacking the higher cooler.

Gaz is also right about swapping the rocker covers over and right about the hoses.....they need extending.

It also made it bloody difficult to get at the throttle stop and balance screws.....I made a remote adjuster for the throttle stop screw and had it mounted on the side of the lower frame tube.

IMO, the ideal place for an oil cooler is in the nose of the fairing as per the 600, but that cooler is titchy compared with the 750 and 900 ones.

Also IMO, looking at the last three photos, I have to say I really dislike that nose fairing style......they all look the same, as they do on any other bike they are fitted to.

Someone needs to come up with something better than them..........but don't ask me, it's just my opinion.

AL

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Hi Gaz, do you have a source for the yellow bike and for the red one with tan seat? I can't see them on the waltsiegl site, so I presume not from there?

Starting my own Cafe project..so researching!

Thanks
    Grant

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hi Monkeydog, what are your plans for the wheels - spokes? I'm starting with the 900ie so not the same exactly, but wondering if you had any wisdom to share?

Thx
    Grant

8. Royal
    Sorry just seen your question apologies for not replying. I will have a look on the computer and see if it is in my collection. I usually save a picture or 2 if I come across something nice.
    Cheers Gaz

9. #12 gaz92, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
  10. Thanks Gaz, found them!

Cheers
    Grant

Do Not Sell My Personal Information