1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1995 916

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by TNR, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Also, check the tyres for age related deterioration. It can happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yep, filter elements were toast. Will discuss further when I put bike back together.

Tyres are from 2004 and are hard as rock. Sticky Pirellis going on next week...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Did you run the engine to get the oil hot and thin before draining?

4. Hey old rider, the bike's not running as yet, unfortunately.
    Would indeed normally get up to operating temp before doing an oil change.

5. Might need to do another oil change when you get it running then as it’s probably the nastiest, sludgiest stuff still left in there.
    I think I might have been tempted to try and warm up the sump somehow with a hot air gun or even a hairdryer to try and thin it a bit.

6. Was 30°C here yesterday, ambient temp is warm enough!
    But yep, will see if we can get it started and will check condition of new oil. Old stuff was clean, all things considered. Had only done 500 miles since last change in 2005 :D

7. Time to get fuel lines sussed.
    When I took the tank off, like many of you out there I cursed the plastic quick-disconnects. When trying to take the black QD from the fuel plate, it broke off. 20+ years of heat and age is not the best for plastic.
    Tried a range of options to get the remainder out: 1) Screw extractor, 2) Pick, 3) two small screwdrivers banged I'm 180° from each other with a third one torquing horizontally. 4) Take it to the local garage to see if buddy can help.
    Nothing was working.

20180907_122549.jpg

Contemplated burning it out but came to the conclusion fire + fuel filter assembly = creating bigger problems.
    The answer lay in a sharp 6mm chisel. Carved in, but tried not to damage the soft aluminium threads. Success.
    Pulled out my shiny new metal QDs (w/ viton o-rings) from CPC. Here they are compared with the old ones...

20180907_152013.jpg

Only replacing lines in the tank, so slotted male ends into existing external lines, which were in good condition. No oetiker clamps available, so went with the basic options that came in the filter box. Fingers crossed they hold the 100 psi pressure!

20180907_152724.jpg

20180907_152500.jpg

Moved straight on to the tank fittings. Wrapped some plumber's tape on the threads and then got the female QDs in a well.

20180907_160316.jpg

Kept going and fitted new lines onto the actual fuel pump. I had tested the pump by hooking my car battery up to it for a few seconds. It worked, so no need to replace as yet. Feeling good and on a roll, I gave the tricky task of re-installing the fuel pump assembly a go. Put a layer of synthetic grease on both the plate and new o-ring. Had bought M6 x 16 bolts to evenly push in the o-ring without damage....but should have gone with M6 x 20 as I couldn't quite get all three bolts biting.

Back to Home Depot and we'll be good... Have a new battery charging up right now, so will be in line to try and start the bike for the first time tomorrow...

#47 TNR, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Oooh,its just like Christmas.

• Like Like x 1
  9. One day in June, 1995, someone named Sav walked into work and painted my 916 fuel tank. I know this because after he or she was done, they engraved their name and the date on the bottom of the tank.

2018-09-07 19.58.03.jpg

It's these small, personal touches that I'm finding really cool with this machine.

Anyway, back into it this morning. Got the correct size bolts for the fuel plate (M6 x 20), and slowly tightened each bolt sequentially. Glad I bought the grease. Definitely helped the all important O-ring to seal properly.

20180908_094447.jpg

Cleaned and locktighted the drain bolt while I was there.
    Pulled the bike out of the shed and took this shot as it hopefully won't be this stripped down again until winter.

20180908_101445.jpg

Installed the airbox and then the intake runners. They're the earliest produced items I've found on the bike so far- March of '94.

2018-09-08 20.29.25.jpg

Went with the Pipercross MPX038 for the new filters. Cleaned and re-used the original frames.

20180908_111831.jpg

Well-nuts then chose an inopportune moment to wear out. Will get replacements (any good suppliers?), but the runners were pretty much open in the meantime.

20180908_133214.jpg

Tank on next. QD's clicked in, vent tubes pushed on, fuel level sensor plugged in, tank bolt secured.
    5 litres of premium went in after stopping at the local servo. $1.45 for ultra 94 (or in UK RON, 99 octane).

20180908_085558.jpg

Newly charged battery installed. Electrics good to go....
    Then ignition on, fuel pump primed (no leaks)... time to start 'er up for the first time in a long time. Third time lucky and it leapt into life and idled like a champ. After 2 minutes, opened the throttle up. Can confirm termis are still operational :D

#49 TNR, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Awesome stuff dude..
    Where abouts in kiwi are you from?

11. Wellington via Taranaki

12. Cool. West Auckland myself but been in UK for 16 years..
    Nice bike you got there. I have a 748, wicked lil bike...

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Isn't it just the best feeling when it fires up after so long of not having run. Makes you feel good. I did that - success. And boy the sound from the termis when you open it up, coz of course you've got to check the throttle is fully operational. I'm glad I've no neighbours :imp::grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bloody oath! Couldn't quite catch it the first couple of times, then realised pushing the fast idle button at the base of the throttle might help. Started instantly next attempt.

Great feeling.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Good old GM, fantastic guy :)

16. Having put 500 miles on the bike since getting it running, thought I'd post an update. Bear in mind I'd never ridden a ducati, let alone a 916 before this purchase.

First impression riding? Surprisingly comfortable! It has 1 inch bar risers, but after a 2 hour Kawartha Highlands tour I was feeling great. I'm 6 foot, so appreciate the high seat height.

The stability the 916 provides in any bend at any speed is new to me- my last bike, an SV650S, had a front end that pogo-ed it's way thru corners.
    The motor isn't perhaps quite the fire-breathing monster I thought it would be, although that could mainly be due to not spending enough time in the 7K+ rpm zone...
    ---------------------

After the initial start-up, the bike still needed a few things to pass the Ontario version of an MOT: a Safety Standards Certificate (known as a 'safety').
    As far as tires, I ended up going with Pirelli's DR Corsa II. No complaints so far.
    The rear end looked superb with the wheel off... that pipework!

20180912_101722.jpg

One other issue popped up - brake lights too dull. The bike had integrated lights from evoluzione installed in 2002, but 16 years on, an LED upgrade was necessary. Went with motodynamic's clear unit that included sequential signals and a 3 flash brake light to keep those cagers on their toes...

20181005_114309.jpg

Getting chilly here in the north, but with Thanksgiving on Monday, still riding every chance I get. Here she is at Petroglyphs Provincial Park today:

2018-10-05 15.53.19.jpg

#56 TNR, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  17. GREAT topic and project, congrats for the work and thanks for sharing I enjoyed reading through it; enjoy that beauty! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information