1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Sale 1995 Ducati 916, 8259 Miles

Discussion in 'Ducati Bikes For Sale' started by JimmyK9, Aug 26, 2021.

1. New bike forces sale of my cherished pride and joy, a Ducati 916, 8259 miles.
    I've owned the 916 for 19 years, purchased in January 2002.

I last rode it in 2010 but haven't ridden it much because I'm not as supple as I used to be and prefer armchairs.

The bike was a Cat C in it's early life and I bought it in 2002 after it had been restored as a fully working resplendent example sporting 50mm Termignoni exhausts, a new drive chain and a carbon fibre hugger.

The engine oil and filter have been changed recently but it hasn't been ridden anywhere.
    The bike has a Datatool Advance System 3 alarm fitted and has always been tucked away in the side of the garage under a protective cover.

The bike was last started in 2019 / 2020, the engine spins over nicely but will not start at the moment. It would benefit from a new timing belt prior to a restart.

This is an appreciating classic, please pm me if you would like to make an offer.

By the way .................... It's NOT Pink !!

IMG_20210822_130424.jpg

IMG_20210822_134324.jpg

IMG_20210822_134337.jpg

IMG_20210827_111443.jpg

IMG_20210827_111632.jpg

IMG_20210827_111656.jpg

IMG_20210827_111709.jpg

IMG_20210827_111728.jpg

#1 JimmyK9, Aug 26, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Pop a price up, it will make things far easier, especially for a Cat C that doesn't start and needs an almost full on recommission after being sat for 10 years.

3. Obviously I'd like as much as possible to sell the bike. It would need a new timing belt and maybe the fuel system cleaned etc. It's got new 99 octane fuel in it now. It could be just an electrical contact preventing it from firing up. It sounded thunderously great when started recently.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for the reply btw.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The wife just convinced me to put a price up and see how things go. Thanks for the good advice from yourself (maybe wife too ... ).

• Like Like x 3
  6. You might want to have a look at what is available on eBay to "tune" your pricing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Perhaps a incentive's needed with throwing in that wonderful carpet piece.:eek:;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Your not a car dealer by any chance are you?

GLWS

10. Yep, that carpet is a unique masterpiece, with a Hawaiian Flowers Valentino special design befitting Ducati ownership. The bike is free with purchase of quality carpet. POA

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. The ultimate rug sale.:laughing:

12. Thanks for the GL message :upyeah:

13. Having done a couple of recommissions... least you'll get away with will likely be:

Oil
    Oil filter
    Air filter
    Fuel filter
    Belts
    Tyres
    Coolant
    Brake fluid
    Battery

Maybe also:

Chain
    Brake seal kit / pads
    Rocker arms... worth checking the condition of them if recommissioning

And in your case:

Starting issue... could be relay, or something more involved
    Strip and clean milky headlight
    What's with the carbon yoke cover?
    Tank pad is a bit marmite
    There's a thing on top of your idiot light cluster I've not seen before... is it a shift light or an alarm LED?

Looks like it'd be very worth doing, but as it's a Cat C (and fair play for calling that out) a lot of people will want to justify the purchase+recommission on the basis of "investment" you'll lose a lot of people on that basis (and it'd be interesting to know what caused the Cat C write off), those that want to buy a 916 to ride may actually want to buy a 996 or a 998 and enjoy the benefits of evolution.

If it's a Varese bike you might get a few people interested on that basis, some might prefer a monoposto over a biposto.

You might get someone wanting to pay £8,500... but there's maybe £1,500 of decommissioning to factor in and then it'll still be a Cat C biposto... £10k buys you a very nice Tamburini shaped bike (748r, 748SP, 748SPS, 996).

GLWS, hope that this comes over as intended (helpful) rather than picky. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Hi Fire3500, thanks for the comprehensive summary.

In response to a few queries, yes I agree the tank pad is a personal taste thing, I think it looks great personally and the standard "idiot" light cluster has a discrete led for an alarm system attached (with a sticky pad) in full view to onlookers when parked up. In both cases they are easily removed if not required.
    I agree some recommissioning of various items would be desirable but that could be said for any used bike purchase.

The chain is brand new and the engine oil and filter have been changed with quality updates fairly recently.

Carbon yoke cover .... installed by a previous owner

Potential purchase price vs later examples comes down to an individual's budget and if they thought my 916 was a good buy, same for any bike purchase.

Again, thanks for your comprehensive summary, it's a useful check list and fair comment.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Is the chain brand new, or was it fitted almost 20yrs ago as the ad suggests? in which case it's not new..

people have been kind and tiptoed around the facts that a quick look on ebay shows running, riding, MOT'd bikes that aren't cat C/D write offs for £7500-8000, one has to expect a 'cat' bike is worth less.. yours is a non runner that needs potentially significant recommissioning - tyres, pads and fluid, engine service inc belts and valves, fork and shock service etc - assume £1500-2k. some quick maths suggests it's probably worth around £5k.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-9...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

here's a similar (but running) 'cat' 916 bip that sold for £4900 on ebay this month..

16. Thanks for the info, cheers

17. Looks pretty tidy to me. GLWS. What year is it? Has early wheels. Cat C wouldn't put me off, but some purists may gag. Personally, I'd keep it. Its nice. But I'd lose that tank protector. :)

18. Hi Bootsam, it's a 1995, I agree its all together and very tidy. The tank pad doesn't give me headaches, I actually think it looks good.
    I also agree, I might keep it because I know it's in good condition, Ive always looked after it. Its always been in a nice dry garage with soft covers.

Cheers, thx for your comments

• Like Like x 1
  19. 95, wouldn't that make it a Varese bike? They seem to go for more money than later bikes.

20. It might be a Varese bike, I'll have to check, thx for querying the possibility and bringing this to my attention.

Cheers JimmyK9

Do Not Sell My Personal Information