1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 1995 (varese) Mono California

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Mike378, Jun 1, 2019.

1. I brought this bike second hand in 1998 and shipped it back to Manchester (UK) in 2001 and later registered it here. Although the 916 Varese are more or less mechanically just a 'normal' 916, I recently found out that this bike has some historical significance to collectors and have seen asking prices ranging from £5k to over £16k depending on mileage, condition and originality.

Because of the historical and financial value it's kind of put me off riding it like it should be ridden and I'm looking to sell it and possibly buy another less significant 916 or 749. The bike is good condition and unmolested apart from servicing, it has 22k miles and unfortunately has later (96) Ducati sides and nose fairing but with the correct decals. My main concerns is getting the right buyer and the fact it's a California model (lower power?) along with not having the original side and nose fairing.

So what's the best way to safely sell this particular bike for it to also reach the attention of the US/California Ducati collectors market, would anyone recommend a particular classic motorcycle auction house, Fleabay, Classic bike site etc.
    Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.

2. It doesn’t sound particularly special, up on the miles and not original, low power, if it’s worth nearer 5k than 16k just run it if you like it? Enjoy your bike , I don’t know anything about values but to get another nice 916 you might need more than you will get from selling yours...just ride the wheels off it enjoy while you can.

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. Post some pics up Mike.
    Oh, and welcome to the Forum as well:)

ps. It’s customary to introduce oneself in the Newbies section complete with photos of one’s bike(s) complete with rubbish bins in the background. I’m just trying to save you from the wrath of El T and Duc/Davebird:)

pps. As said above, just ride it. It’s a 916 made in a temporary factory, that’s all.

#3 West Cork Paul, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. You'd only get top dollar if it was original. Yours isn't.
    Mecum Auctions run auctions for modern classics like an early 916 if you do want to sell. They may be able to do an appraisal?

The sports bike market is struggling in North America at the moment with depressed prices, so I'd hang on to the bike for another 5 years as any varese bike will be like hens teeth by that time.
    EDIT: I see you're not the US, disregard mecum!

5. Thanks for the replies,
    It's a tough one,
    It's not good to know the US market is struggling but it saves me the time and trouble of looking to sell it there, thanks.

Looking at the prices in Car and Classic I can understand why collectors are coveting the Varese 916. The 916 is already the most collectable mass produced Ducati and with only 2663 Varese bikes made, and less than 10% of those California models, there can't be that many around 25 years later.

That's my dilemma, if it's worth £8k I'd rather sell it and put all my fancy parts (mag wheels and C/F air box, ducts, mudguard etc) back on a newer £5k 748. But as said if it's worth about £6k I may better off keeping it as there's a good chance it'll hold it's value better than the GBP over the next few years.
    Below is a picture of this bike before putting the stock parts back on.
    Ducati.JPG
    And returned to stock.
    DSCF2080.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  6. Looks nice fella

7. Thanks, It's the only bike to hit me emotionally on three different levels, the first when I walk up to it because it looks like a work of art from every angle, then when I push the starter and the noise from the exhaust, air intake and clutch stirs the blood, and third just riding the damn thing, I'm constantly gob smacked at how fast and effortlessly it will carve a difficult set of fast corners.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Keeper

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Both options work me:motorcycleduc::upyeah:,especially with that wacky carpet;):upyeah:

10. Ride it. Thats why it was built.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Absolutely, looks great and won’t be a pension supplier just run it without worry that it’s a unrecoverable disaster waiting to happen

12. Looks nicer in the 'stock' photo IMO.

Are you sure those fairings in the stock photo aren't the original ones? They sure look like them. Or are they what should be on but you don't have them, just the ones on the 'as is' photo. Either way, use it & ride it it's not going to devalue it now.

13. Unfortunately as far as I was told the replacement fairings are off a 96 SPS which differ from the 94 916 fairings, there's apparently quite a number of 'tells' for the Varese 916's which were fitted with -
    1. P8 programmable ECU, off the 888 bike
    2. Pankl Con Rods.
    3. Cagiva Logo on various parts
    4. Petrol Tank was 5mm longer and more contoured (see photos the 94 tank is on the right ) and rubbed on the steering damper.
    5. Fairing and Screen secured with clips (that I still have) instead of M4 Torx screws and Well nuts.
    6. A 'V' instead of a 'B' in the VIN number showing the bike was built in Varese not Bolognia.
    EDIT -
    7. Sticker under the Seat Unit with VIN number showing incorrect tyre sizes.
    8. Blue anodised fittings on the oil cooler pipes.
    9. Chain Guard shorter in length.

I'm still not sure if I should ride this beautiful bike into the ground, or sell it to a collector to preserve. I think my best bet is advertise it for a fixed price and see what interest is shown before I rack up the mileage.
    20190603_135516.jpg 20190603_135805.jpg

#15 Mike378, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Ride it and enjoy it while you can! :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. First time that i hear about that difference in the fuel tank from a ’94 strada.

Henk!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. A Ducati mechanic told me about longer tank when I mentioned the steering damper rubbing on the tank (this can also happen on later bikes if the damper mounts are worn) though I don't know exactly when the shape of the tank was changed.
    But I only saw the difference between 916 tanks when I damaged the original tank and replaced it with a tank marked underneath 'Controllo Finale 11/3/98. The 94' tank is about 30mm wider at the top, front 'fin' part of the tank, and narrower by about 20mm between the legs, it not only looks better than the later tanks, you can also grip it better with your legs on bumpy roads.
    You can see the difference in the width of the two tanks and the ignition recess shape here -
    20190603_173039.jpg
    The photo below shows the difference in the width and shape of the 'fins' on the front of the petrol tank referenced from the crease in the tank.
    20190603_170417.jpg

So I ended up getting my old tank repaired by Andy at Motorcycle Dent Repair in Yorkshire, it wasn't cheap but he pushes the dents out instead of using filler and paint so you get to keep the integrity of the tank with original paint and decals.
    Below are the before repair and after repair pictures -
    DSCF1707.JPG
    DSCF1731.JPG
    Amazing workmanship!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. Sorry Henk I meant to 'quote' your post on my reply above, so you'd know I'd responded to your comment.

18. Can I ask how much the repair was, as I have a tank that needs sorting?..

Do Not Sell My Personal Information