1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1996 916 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by DesmoEddy, Jan 20, 2016.

1. A new thread coming soon then.

2. Yes, but on a different forum, I think...

3. Short video here

Runs a bit woolly off the bottom until warmed up. With the open pipes and bigger valves I think it needs a little more fuel. Might try a Senna chip to see what effect that has, then think about PCIII or having the Ultimap chip (not currently installed) modified.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Lovely but by 'eck that clutch makes a racket at idle... ;)

5. its supposed to! If It was meant to have a quiet clutch mod it would have one from standard...:Bag::Bag::Bag::Bag:
    im off....

6. I don't know why the cheap GoPro clone makes it sound so loud...it's actually not bad at all, having been assembled from the best set of clutch inner, basket and plates from a wide selection. No wear grooves on the inner or basket, and with the radial Brembo master and rebuilt slave the operation is wonderfully smooth.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Took it for a quick blast up the road and by 'eck, it's lively! Certainly a match for my 996BP, the way it picks up and wheelies off the throttle. MOT booked for Thursday.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Looking good, Ted

9. Dear Mr Coupe,

We still on for the 29th?

Yours,

Ted

10. Yep although i haven't told LJ yet. Just a formality!!

11. Last night I changed belts, oil & filter on the other bike (996) and swapped out a plug lead which had been arcing in preparation for the weekend. Made a crank turning tool to ease the belt job. Tomorrow I will do air & fuel filters, then we're ready.

[​IMG]

12. Nice tool!

13. Funnily enough, that's what Gill said!

14. Bike now complete and due its 2nd MOT since rebuild today (so standard pipes are back on):-

[​IMG]

BUT...and it's a big but....it's still not running properly when warm. Symptoms are a stumble /bogging-down while slowly rolling-on the throttle at low-mid RPM. Makes it almost impossible to ride through town, or any riding which isn't wide-open-throttle. I managed to get an old copy of DucatiDiag working with a USB-to-3-pin Marelli converter cable. TPS values look good, air pressure and coolant temperature sensors good. Crank position sensor has been re-shimmed (and swapped-out). The ambient air pressure sensor was faulty - telling ECU that it was minus 30 degrees, and I thought I'd nailed the problem (bike would be over-fuelling constantly if ECU thought I was riding through Siberia) but I have fitted a new sensor, checked air temp reading against actual (and readings were now correct) and the problem persists. Have tried stock EPROM and "Senna" EPROM (ie. Termi end-cans) and it's just the same.

The problem is completely repeatable - the bike runs fine during warm-up, but once it's showing over 50 degrees on the temperature gauge the roll-on problem manifests itself again. If you roll-on the throttle while in the mid-range (running in a high gear, moderate road speed, with engine at say 3500 - 4000 rpm) the motor bogs down. If you roll-on quickly you can bog-down the motor completely, but if you are reeeaaally slow and careful with opening the throttle you can get past the mid-range and it's fine right at the top-end. But you can't ride like that all the time.

After checking/adjusting/swapping all the sensors I even thought it might be heat-soak from the cans into the ECU and a faulty trace on the circuit board opening up with heat, but I have changed-in a spare ECU and EPROM and the issue persists.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  15. Have you tried pulling a plug to see what the mixture is like?
    What does the temp gauge read in normal running?

16. Sounds like it could be lean at closed throttle. Has the idle mixture been set up with the throttle body bleeds and the mixture trimmer on the ECU?

17. Temp gauge shows about 80 degrees....maybe a touch more in traffic and a touch less on an open road. Plugs look good - mid grey/brown.

Thanks - I'll check this out, and reset TPS voltage with butterfly linkage disconnected. I don't have access to CO equipment, so might take a while to do the mixture.

18. Just to close this thread - I realised that without access to the correct equipment (even using a multimeter and DucatiDiag) I was getting nowhere. A couple of weeks ago I dropped the bike at Cornerspeed, and collected it again yesterday. Only had time for a brief ride today (Mothering Sunday) but the bike feels like new. Throttle response is crisp, bike is very lively indeed - every bit as spritely as the 996 I was riding last year. In the end it was all down to a faulty TPS which was giving spurious values when warm. Just wanted to say a public Thank You to Neil @ Cornerspeed.

• Like Like x 10
Do Not Sell My Personal Information