1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 1998 748 Wheel Colour

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by stevie862, Nov 14, 2017.

1. hi folks
    looking to powder coat,paint my wheels would like them to be as near as
    poss to original colour(bronze).appreciate any thoughts on best options.
    were wheels painted or powder coat from new.mine have been powder coated
    but don't like the colour.

2. I doubt you will find an exact match in Powder Coat form, I have not found a RAL colour that comes that close when I have checked and most Powder Coaters use the RAL scheme. You could have a custom mix made but that would probably be prohibitive cost wise.

When I repainted a set of 748 wheels quite some time back they appeared to have been painted from new as there was evidence of primer, a basecoat and matt lacquer, on my set at least.

For an exact colour match, you will probably need to go the painting route from what I have gleaned.

3. thanks for the info i thought that might be the case i have spoken to a painter
    and he said he could match colour no problem just thought powder coat
    would be more durable could change colour completely black or gold don't
    know what would look best .thanks again

4. ICI do a colour chip for the original Gold. Powder coating is more durable and will last a lot longer.

I use these people for my powder coating as have a few others on this forum in the past.

http://www.ctc-powder-coating.co.uk/

5. I am edging towards painting as it should give the right colour but i will
    talk to powder coat guy to see what he can do as the wheels will need
    dipped to remove existing powder coat.

6. If you go for powder coating you will need to remove the front wheel bearings as normally powder coaters grit blast the items and don't dip them.

You could get the wheels undercoated in powder coat and then paint them. I did this with a headlamp holder and it worked very well. It saves a lot of preparation work as well.

7. bearings& tyres removed hopefully off to get stripped next weekend will ask about paint over powder coat thanks again for info.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information