1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1999 996 Biposto Restoration

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by gothicsera, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Yeah, I'm a great believer that less is more!

2. You've picked a worthwhile bike. Just looked at the pics you supplied on your link, dont think much of the carbon clutch cover.
    I got these for my Streetfighter and 1198

2017-08-12 02.JPG 2017-08-12 04.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Me too... :p

Yes, the carbon one is a bit of a mess - like most of the bike at the moment. I'll see if I can find something better... :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. The place i got mine from do a 996 one :)

5. I've had no joy getting the frame/engine/wheel paint codes out of Ducati.

What I have to go on is this: http://www.ducatimotor.it/articoli/setupcolori.htm

Last attempt before I get them colour matched at my local place...

So would I be right in thinking that the frame/engine is Metallic Grey PPG 0011?

Any idea what the correct colour for the Marchesini wheels and the darker grey engine covers is?

6. Grigio Scuro means dark grey. However the senna paint job if memory serves me right is a metallic sheen

7. If you are looking for metallic colour look for Metallizatto as part of description

8. Thanks. Still none the wiser though...

Looking closer, the engine cases, covers, wheels/frame are all different colours (wheels and frame match). Engine is the lightest silver and covers are darkest grey.

It amazes me that there isn't a reference anywhere for what the colours by model are.... It's not even in the owners manual that I have. Too used to working on cars and Japanese bikes.

I'm going to have to just take them and get them matched I reckon.

9. Good project.
    I'm sure I recognize you from Orange Is the New Black :bucktooth:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. This is Italian and Ducati we are talking about what did you expect

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. RS paint have a good reputation for matches.

12. So have Swan Vesta.;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I've been a bit slow on this for a number of reasons. However the engine has now parted ways with the frame. I've since removed the forks and yokes, and just have the last few bits to remove from the frame and wheels before I drop them off for blasting.

In the end I had all of the necessary colours matched at my local paint place as I couldn't find the correct codes.

While the bits are being blasted I'll get the engine cleaned up and painted.

IMAG4252.jpg IMAG4253.jpg IMAG4254.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. My problem with carbon clutch covers is that one spill on rhs risks damage to clutch. My 916 fell over on rhs and the DP carbon cover wasnt good enough to prevent damage to my outer basket. Ever since then Ive retained the OEM steel clutch covers or a decent cnc one.

15. Yep, that's why the carbon one is going in the bin and a CNC one going on in it's place :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. How difficult was it to get the rear swing arm pivot pin out?

17. What plans have you got for the engine? Clean up and rattle cans or a full strip down and repaint of the heads/cases etc? I've not found a paint yet that can overcome the inevitable corrosion unless you can properly etch the aluminium surface first after stripping off all the old crappy OEM paint on the crankcases. It's a lot more work but lasts much longer. Stripped down the wife's Monster 620 engine and the only way to really clean it up was to media blast it. If you can have some blanking plates made up and remove the barrels and heads, I have known people to do this, without risking any particles entering the engine but the prep work is quite a lengthy process if you are not splitting the engine. Chances are if it has been standing that long some of the oil seals may also have hardened, so it's 50 of one and half a dozen of the the other as to which is the best route to take. Good luck with the rest of the build.

18. Even after soaking for days in penetrating fluid it took a lot of effort, a 2lb hammer and a custom made drift... just as well I have a lathe....

• Like Like x 2
  19. I spray a lot of stuff - but I'm not going to strip the engine, it only has 4,600 miles on it and it seems pointless to tear it down and rebuild it at this stage. But time will tell. It's been stood a long time, but it has been running recently and regularly when in storage (or so I'm lead to believe)

I'll be stripping all of the factory paint off, spraying with 2k epoxy primer before base and clear coating in 2k. It won't be a short or easy process, but it should do the job.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information