1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1999 996 Biposto Restoration

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by gothicsera, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Well the fact that it's been run will have helped. It doesn't look too bad from your photos and is arguably a lot easier to clean up than an air cooled engine which is that much more intricate and also exposed compared to water cooled ones, cossetted from the weather by fairings.

2. 10/10 so far, you don't think you've made much progress? I've had my 998 for three years and all I've managed is a change of the oil and a couple of new tyres. One day I'll live really dangerously and change the belts!

• Like Like x 2
  3. I realise I've been quite lax in keeping this up to date!

The strip down went well and most of the parts went off to the blasters and were re-sprayed. Engine cleaned up and sprayed too. Just have the clutch and alternator/waterpump covers to paint, which I will do when the bike is back on it's wheels - number of reasons for doing that!

Anyway, it's going back together quite nicely. Still cleaning bits up as I go, and a lot of new parts going on too including new timing belts, chain and sprockets, braided hoses, silicone coolant hoses, new fluids, plugs, filters. Tyres are going on the rims this week and then it will be back on it's wheels again.

I've been painting more small bits today - so been rocking a fetching new trendy look...

23621630_2070616753159779_6464026043913201670_n.jpg

23472390_2067015236853264_4825439203665778903_n.jpg

23473230_2067015273519927_2976862959091198823_n.jpg

23319297_2067398336814954_7653027149583031227_n.jpg

23319484_2067398410148280_6943592544596158030_n.jpg

IMAG4574.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  4. Congrats on the work so far. Looks like it won’t be long before we see another minty mint Tamburini back on the road! :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. a custom made drift you say ... Hmmmm..can I borrow or buy it?

6. Although I faffed around and made a tool. A bit of 20mm diameter ground bar will do the job... I've got a few bits kicking around and I can send you a bit if you want...?

7. I'm pretty sure that even though I renewed my pivot during my rebuild a few years ago, ( had to cut the swing arm off in the end!)that I may have fucked up a lil while back.
    I intended to remove and re grease it to prevent a repeat of the last situation but it was stuck fast.
    think in my ham fisted attempt I may have bent or burred the shaft.
    was thinking of getting a 19 x 400mm long drift made with the end threaded to suit to ensure a sound fit.
    it moved a lil but is now stuck .. Drama...

8. a pic of mine after it's rebuild...
    just cos I love posting pics of my bike! Tbh this was after a lil off last year but still a good pic!
    IMG-20161227-WA0012.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. Op where did you buy those belts from? great job on the rebuild!

10. Thanks

They are California Cycle Works ones, there's several UK sellers of them. Also changed the bearings in the tensioner and idler pulleys while I was in there :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Surprised that they seem to be made in china? you changed the bearings only and not the complete assemblies?

12. Yes, apparently so. But then so are most of the Gates belts these days...

And yes, I just changed the bearings. New SKF ones.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sorry for the thread high jack Sera but I am amazed longer standing members on here do not know the story of CCW timing belts. They have been discussed on here many times including the outdated belief that China manufacturing is behind Western Standards. Most luxury car makers now source entire wiring harness and electronics from China and the Far East and even manufacture cars there - also the worlds leading helicopter brand manufacture helicopters there now! You can buy crap from anywhere it's true, but you also get world class from anywhere too. In my experience the Chinese worker mentality for doing things right (at least in OEM associated companies) is way above our own now unfortunately.

Great build Sera BTW :):upyeah: you are putting many of us to shame with your progress!

Here's an extract from our Ebay ad regarding the belts:

The ‘Exact Fit’™ story…

Launched and specified by Chris Kelly in 2009, owner of California Cycleworks (an internationally renowned Ducati Technician / Racer from the USA).

A chance meeting with an ex Director of Gates lead to a project to manufacture the highest specification timing belts for our Ducati’s. Designed and manufactured without the constraints of large business accountants & price pressures.

Specified by Chris Kelly of CCW with specific attention to engineering detail. This includes greater dimensional repeatability / less stretch / tighter shore hardness tolerance / loop joining method / material selection / construction & coating.

Manufactured by ‘the’ global leader OEM timing belt factory in the far-east with the latest Western European Equipment & Materials and manufactured under the latest OEM Automotive Manufacturing Standards. The CCW manufacturing partner supplies most of global brand OEM companies to various specifications including CCW’s highest spec.

Please note: a common misconception is that Ducati OEM belts are reinforced with Kevlar – they are not as this is not the ideal material for our application!

A little known fact is that Ducati now source timing belts from the Far East (2016) but not to the stringent specifications as Exact Fit ™ Belts.

Originally launched as a premium brand timing belt: as a real alternative to OEM Ducati Belts in 2009 – due to the specification some of the Exact Fit™ belts were more expensive than the OEM Ducati belts. It is only since VAG group took over Ducati and the OEM prices started to climb that Exact Fit timing belts became much more cost effective due to Chris being true to his customer base. So now in Europe we can be seen as a cheaper alternative but:

we are’the’ premium brand!

Quickly established in the USA as the leading brand and used by Ducati main dealers – we have no known belt failures in all the years since launch!!! There are even Main Dealers in the States that only fit OEM if the customer specifically asks and Exact Fit™ belts are their default fitment.

Here in the UK and the rest of the world some Ducati Technicians still advise (and only use) OEM belts: they do not know the full story and are advising away from the highest specification belts available! We welcome their contact to discuss…

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Indeed, the red cord that is inside the belt rubber and often claimed to be kevlar is glassfibre (Kevlar is yellow BTW).

• Like Like x 2
  15. Great job so far Sera, look forward to more updates.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Did you get some paint overspray on your hair?

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Her colour matchers are a little dubious :eek:

18. No...it is quite colourful at the moment though :)

IMG_20171109_155227_125.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  19. Tidy up, geeze :rolleyes:

20. I spend too long in the garage to worry about tidying the house ;):p

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information