1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 2000 748r - From Disaster To Full Rebuild

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by TelRobinson, Feb 9, 2019.

1. my money is on whenever the belts were last changed the adjuster has been overtightened and the cam timing has not been set or even checked.

2. Seriously though, valve guides almost always need to be replaced when replacing bent valves!

3. Thanks everyone for all of your input so far! Been a great learning curve over the last few days, that’s for sure!

@Android853sp has been kind enough to part with 4 new valves to save me an arm and a leg! And @final_edition has been amazing so far with getting the repair done! I’m about an hour away from being able to drop the engine out of the bike, just realised i now need a deep 3/8” drive socket to reach the engine mount bolts. Are these 14/15mm? Luckily, the swing arm bolt slid right out with no tapping, so that’s one potential head ache out of the way.

Cheers, Tel

• Like Like x 14
  4. Removed my engine bolts a few months ago on my 998 (12mm). Can’t really remember now but I think I used a 15mm long reach socket but had to grind down quite a bit of material.

5. My 748 engine bolts are 14mm on the bolt head and 15mm on the nut its a 1998 and I think they had 10mm bolts not sure whether yours will be 10 or 12 mm bolts, my 3/8 sockets fit ok .
    Steve

#105 Birdie, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  6. As said by a few above yes valve guides will need checking. Seen a few where a piece breaks off. Also if cams won't turn then they are bound in the guide. Anyway if someone else is going to do the rebuild i'm sure they will check everything.

7. I’ll wait and see what happens when it all comes apart. As said, I’m now at the point that I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing from this point on, so I’ll give the whole engine to someone that knows what they’re doing. It’s only been 5 days since it went tits up and I’m already missing riding it!

• Like Like x 2
  8. So, the engine is out and now sitting on the bench with the head at BBS Motorcycles on the recommendation of Andy @final_edition

It's being pulled apart to assess the damage this week, then come the prices!

I had a bit of a flap last week and on the verge of splitting it/selling as a broken bike, but saw sense and thought what it will be like when it's all back in one piece. The whole bike going wrong actually done me a favour, as i've found a number of worn parts that are now on order and being replaced.

And a pic of my little helper, with the added bonus of a bin for @Ducbird

2.jpg

• Like Like x 11
    • Love You Love You x 1
  9. Think of it as investing into the deposit for her first flat.

10. @TelRobinson
    if it works out fortunes to repair, i do have a 2001 748 engine here that I'm hoarding, lowish miles, 12000, and in pretty good condition all round.
    I would part with it as it is for £500.
    it would need new belts.

just food for thought

• Like Like x 2
  11. She loves helping out with it and loves the bike itself. I'm sure she'll be after the bike one day :)

Thanks John! I'm hoping I won't have to take TOO much of a hit, but we will see.

This is an R, so i'm not sure what is interchangeable between the parts. I'll keep you posted mate

• Like Like x 2
  12. Fab :) thank you and what a little cutie (not the bin)

13. So, the engine is away and the head (apart from the 2 chipped valves) have been given a full clean bill of health. After having more of a look, Mike at BBS had some queries about what looks like the rods may have some stress marks, but I’m waiting on the outcome on them at the moment.

With the bike being apart and having a few spare evenings, I’ve gone to town on the cleaning and refreshing of parts and fixings, so it will be a lot healthier when an engine is back in!

19 years of muck and crap have definitely taken their toll. Found that the front sprocket was knackered, so a new one is waiting on the bench to be fitted.

I also managed to get a set of belt covers to replace the ones demolished by the tensioner pulley. Guessing they’re early ones as they’ve got the Cagiva stamps inside.

Stripped the headlights down and cleaned the insides, what a difference! Also redone the satin black border whilst they’re apart.

Anyway, some random pics of it’s current state

372E1345-8FC1-4A3A-B121-08626C723ACB.jpeg

2C788F8D-7F95-4CC3-9776-C7675E896C55.jpeg

56D43641-665E-475D-82D9-F36BA2F18255.jpeg

DD6AE8C3-B96A-43DC-8C0E-908E2AF37449.jpeg

4592CD1B-6041-4EEA-8360-0AC2C63B4943.jpeg

B71BD2EE-B575-4AF8-8427-1E553FC004AA.png

ABC946FC-B627-47BC-85ED-3A196CE7D527.jpeg

4055D7C5-6892-4821-9BA9-92242B93F1D5.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  14. I'd get the heads ported and gas flowed while there off mate.

15. I'm speaking to Andy (Android853sp) about his 853 setup later. So I may pull my R lump out of the engine shop and go straight for that if I can afford to go that way. If it is a valid way to go, i'd be mad to not do it while the bike is apart.

Then i'll either sell the R lump as is, or break it down and sell in parts. Whatever I do, i want it to be the least ball ache possible. Only ridden the bike 140 miles since I've had it lol

16. My 853R was an animal, Built by Chris at CJS. He does very good Ducati headwork. I think my bike is still on his website.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sorry to hijack the thread, do you have any photos of the head work on your 853 Chris?

Thanks for the update Tel. I'm following with interest

• Like Like x 2
  18. :cool::punch:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information