1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 2000 748r - From Disaster To Full Rebuild

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by TelRobinson, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Just waiting to see if it’s worth getting them xrayed, then go from there. At the cost of new ones, I definitely won’t be replacing them with Ti jobbies

2. the 853 is tempting...id probably go 998 from a 999:)

3. ;)

4. He’s not overly sure if they are stress marks yet, or wether they are perfectly fine. But being Ti, it’s probably best to be overly cautious lol

I was looking at 999’s, but we’ll see

• Like Like x 1
  5. Frame, tank, wheels, brakes, there is lots to sell from it.

6. could always rebuild and BOOM off it goes again.....it is a difficult one i grant you..

7. Oh there’s loads to sell on it!

Without a doubt!

8. So, just getting in to more cleaning on the bike and took the ECU off, turned it over and the label on the bottom says ‘DUCATI 916 BIPOSTO EU’. Considering it’s a 748R, is this unusual to be using a 916 ECU? Any reasons for it being used over the ‘R’ ECU?

9. The 1.6M ‘ECU’ was used across a number of models. The EPROM inside the 1.6M ECU is what makes it unique to the 748R. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  10. Aha! Makes sense! Cheers Andy (again)

11. Could’ve answered my own question if I’d have looked :p

37589C5F-6F75-481E-8B74-C363B2BEAB2D.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  12. We all have to start somewhere :upyeah: Andy

• Love You Love You x 1
  13. Heres the page with some info on my old bike, there's also info and pics of a few other 748R/853Rs headwork
    http://www.projects.cjsracing.co.uk/Chrisiball 748R 133BHP.htm

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bike looks superb Chris!

15. And so the cleaning carries on.....

Last night I took the chain guide off of the swing arm because the upper and lower parts looked horrific! Degreased and cleaned them up as best I could, but ended up putting in a call to Moto Rapido this morning and ordered both parts for 28 quid delivered!
    Also got a load of well nuts coming to replace the remaining old ones on the bike, new airbox bolts, rubbers for the gear change and rear brake levers, ECU rubber mounts and some spark plugs.

All little bits that deteriorate over time, but will make a load of difference when they are replaced.

I'm running out of stuff to clean and take apart now, so hoping to get some engine news soon! :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Who did you get the wellnuts from Tel? I’ve got to replace all the ones on my 748. Thanks

17. I got them from Craig at Moto Rapido (01962 873981). His knowledge on parts for our bikes is second to none and service is always great! I’ve gone to him for all of my parts and I know a lot of others do as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information