1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 2000 748r - From Disaster To Full Rebuild

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by TelRobinson, Feb 9, 2019.

1. ive emailed chris recently about heads he no longer does full head rebuilds but will do the reshaping work if the heads turn up bare.

2. Talk to louigi moto he's the man when it comes to doing engines.

3. So, just an update to bring us up to date.

I got a call back from Mike at BBS at the end of last week to say that the rods have been xrayed to check for any issues invisible to the eye and both turned out to be fine. So while the rods were away, the decision was taken to have them shot peened while they were away just to add some strength.

Now the rods are back, the other parts for the rebuild have been ordered to get it completed.

In a nut shell

New Horizontal piston - bits of broken valve buried themselves in the piston crown

Crank journals - originals were very nearly work through after 43k

New piston rings for both horizontal and vertical cylinders

4 new belt tension pulleys, studs, bolts and bearings

2 new belts

New Clutch kit to replace the worn plates

Set of new inlet and exhaust valves for horizontal head

All new gaskets and seals to build the bike back up.

Plus some more bits that I’ve probably forgotten off the top of my head.

Really looking forward to getting the engine back now to fit back up.

I’ve replaced nearly every nut, bolt and fixing on the bike since the engine has been away, as well as replaced a load of worn parts too.

I’ll update this with pics as soon as the build up starts, but it’s getting closer and I should be able to actually get some mileage on her this year :)

• Like Like x 12
  4. This is absolutely the worst circumstances to sell it. The fact is you do not really know the extent of the damage and that doubt will massively depress the price anyone with pay. As the Forum says, get the head off, then you will know for sure. Finally, have you any idea how difficult it is to find a genuine, well looked after example?

5. Have you read the posts?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Oh I’ll be keeping it without a doubt now all of the work has been done. Initially I had no idea what was wrong and had thoughts to sell it in bits to recoup some cash, but I’ve had some discussions with some more level headed people who pushed me to stick with it and I’m glad I did :)

Considering there were only 150
    Of the 2000 R’s that came to the UK, I’m glad I did stick with it now

• Like Like x 3
  7. :)

8. So glad you kept the bike, honestly I just love the 748R engine, it's possibly the best road engine I've ever ridden, and I've ridden quite a few bikes now in my 17 years of riding.

I really hope you get it up and running soon and enjoy riding it. One thing is for sure, if you do get it running NEVER sell it as you'll regret it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Living without this would be wrong. IJ5A8166.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. Good to hear that things are coming together.

If you don’t mind, I just want to say that shot peening does not “add strength” per se.
    Shot peening results in a compressive layer over the part which increases the fatigue life - the number of load cycles required to initiate a crack. It does not change the static load capability of the part.

Looking forward to seeing the bike once it is back together.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Living without stars in you eyes? :thinkingface:

IJ5A8166.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. When I got my first 748s I had the chance of an R and everyone told me that the R was too top-endy for a road bike... interested to hear another perspective on this (now they've gone up and I've gone from an S to "I don't need a 748" to an E that's been uprated to S spec :confounded:).

Obviously they're yellow, which is faster... but otherwise, worth changing for?

#152 Fire3500, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I’ve had a 748E and I’ve spent a long time riding an Ohlins model 748r as my mate stored it in my garage and said I could ride it whenever. To me the two engines are night and day different, with the 748r feeling revvy and almost vibration free when moving. It just loved revs and was really useable. The only real issue was the clutch used to get really hot with a covered clutch, even with new basket and plates it would quickly overheat in traffic and get super grabby. I wished I could have bought it from my mate when he sold it but politics prevented it (the wife). I was present when my mate sold it and afraid to say I had tears in my eyes, it was that good. To put some balance on it though it did cost him over a thousand pound for a belt service and sorting the clutch and fuelling out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sounds like the 748r is the heir to the 851 motor then... :)

15. Thanks mate, me too! The bike was superb to ride, so responsive and pulled like a train. That was with all of the worn internals etc, so I imagine it’s going to be even better now it’s rebuilt.

I think the only thing that was niggling at me to look into selling it was the fact I’d only done 140 miles on it since I’ve owned it and it went tits up. Can’t see myself selling it, aside from the engine I’ve put so much work into the bike as a whole.

Oh I know, I was just being loose with the term. Glad the treatment will give it some extra years now. I would’ve been mad to not have it done for the cost! It’s also good to have an engine builder who isn’t flippant and tells you to buy new rods. I’ll definitely use Mike at BBS again, sterling service!

• Like Like x 1
  16. So what if any, is the difference between the MY2000 on 748S and the MY1999 and previous BP or MP, apart from 5 spoke wheels and frame colours?

17. 2000 onward S has over the E:
    • Adjustable rake
    • Quick release fuel connectors under tank
    • Sachs rear shock
    • Showa TiNitride front forks
    • Lighter 5 spoke rims
    • Dzus fasteners
    Late model E has the same engine, I've upgraded to 5 spoke wheels (from 3 spoke), Dzus (from screws), NOS TiN forks (from standard Showa) and shock (from Sachs) and added OEM period-correct monoposto seat unit, Termi's and EPROM chip (and replaced 5 rockers, all fluids, belts etc. as it was laid up since 2013).

My 2001 S had the same engine but all the snazzy bits from the get-go. The earlier non-fancypants 748 base models had a different (98hp), engine than the SP / SPS (104hp) and R (106hp) whereas the 2000-on models seemed to have a common engine (97hp) except the R which had the beefier unit.

I think that covers it...

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Best handling bike I've had to date was my 748r, was truely amazing.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Doesn't the 748E have the ( Testa Basa ) dropped exhaust valve head fitted?
    Steve

PS Just found this.
    Ducati 748E (2000-2003)
    - 2002 - Fairing design change (now without the side vents, like 998 [Slab-sided] )
    - New exhaust system for some E and S models (produced in 2001 for MY2002) - the exhaust diameter is the same size but with headers and link pipe supplied by a different company (Zeuna.) If you wanted to fit anything other than just 45mm termis (45mm to 50mm for example) then you needed to replace the full system.
    - 2001 - Fitted with the Testa-Basa motor (not testastretta!)difference is simply the stepped heads on the exhaust cams side- allowing the same head casting to be used for S4 monster and 748 (exhaust cam is lower in the head to miss the front wheel of the monster). E chassis same as 2000 BIP model but now with grey 3 spoke wheels and grey frame.
    - The BIP was replaced by the E model, actually downgrading the Showa rear shock with a cheaper (Sach's?) unit and also losing the adjustable steering head on the BP, which had both road and track settings.
    - Original Price from new: £8,500 (Standard two-seat model; E = Entry)

#159 Birdie, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  20. there was a crossover period between 'BP' and 'E' models. I had a 2002 bike that was labelled as an 'E' but had vented fairings and the Sachs shock etc.

Anyway back to the original question, the 748R engine is totally different incase anyone is in doubt, totally different cam profiles, titanium conrods and balancing and close ratio gearbox to my understanding. Then there are all the other changes like carbon airbox and shower injectors on the 2001/2 models, Ohlins suspension etc. The engine just feels completely different as far as I'm concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information