1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 2000 748r - From Disaster To Full Rebuild

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by TelRobinson, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Also true, the S and E both had the Testa-Basa engine, and you’re quite correct with the PITA body panels too. Cost saving by using the 998 panels across the line I guess. Personally I prefer the earlier vented panels, although my 2002 has the flat ones.

2. Quite a lot of internal fanciness then... hmmmm, had better put a 748r on the shopping list then! :p

In the meanwhile, it's a gorgeous morning. Perhaps riding the 748 might be a job for the day!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I agree with this, the R is a different engine for the reasons stated above plus the air intake tubes were enlarged and the bike’s frame is different to accommodate the larger airbox. Early ones had Showa suspension front & rear. I was more interested in the differences between the pre 2000 BP and 2000 on S, it seems to me it boils down to frame colour, 5 spoke wheels & TiN coated front suspension. Thanks for the feedback fellas:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2

4. This is how hard you can rev a 748R. Utterly sublime and combined with a good set up, very able to keep up with more modern, bigger stuff. I had an SP which was nothing like the R.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Thanks a lot mate! I’ll keep the thread updated as soon as I have any news, but I’m glad I stuck with it :)

6. Looks superb Paul!

I’ll have a lot more confidence to give it stick now with all of the work it’s had!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Good news tel.

• Like Like x 1
  8. So, just to update - it’s all back up and running and on the road! :)

The bike had a full on rebuild with all bearings, rings, crank journals, valves etc replaced, rods xrayed and shot peened, new clutch plates, new fluids and it’s like riding a new bike! So tight and responsive!

I took it out for a ride a couple of nights ago and got home to a small amount of oil in the bottom of the fairing. On inspection, I found the upper part of the thread on the engine casing had a crappy thread on the oil pressure switch. Seems there’s only 7mm of thread on the pressure switch, but the part Ducati have has 12mm thread. One of many issues found with the bike since the strip down, but now resolved.

Massive thanks to Andy @final_edition for his help and putting me in touch with Mike at BBS Motorcycles. Mike comes very highly recommended and treats your bike like his own.

CAAA758B-618F-45DD-84A5-50672927691F.jpeg

6E815226-D9F0-4DC2-A224-0A8C030BA098.jpeg

86A0B96E-29E4-4E42-909F-679BFCE40AFA.jpeg

0E34C890-1CC8-43A0-A71C-96B3268FA600.jpeg

CDF0E04E-9ED3-49B2-810D-B9F5E2399120.jpeg

• Like Like x 18
  9. RESULT!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pleased you stuck with it after all.
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brilliant news tel , I’m almost glad you didn’t sell it me as is , well for you anyway :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nice one Tel, I’m glad you saw it through. It’s worth it in the end, no ? Great result :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  13. I’m glad people told me to stick with it. It’s been a brilliant learning curve about the bike. It goes like a stabbed rat and is amazing to ride!

I just need to put some more miles on her now :)

• Like Like x 5
  15. Great thread , so pleased for you , I'm learning every day on this forum

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Good to see it back on the road @TelRobinson

Next time you go to The Stables I'll let you buy me a beer!

I saw Mike today and he was asking how you were getting on.

• Like Like x 1
  17. That looks even better on the laptop, now I'm at home :upyeah:

18. This is easily the best, most informative and helpful forum I’ve been part of and everyone has been great!

Give me a shout when you’re free and we’ll meet up for a beer!

I’m going to give Mike a bell next week, got a couple of jobs for him on the bike. Luckily they’re reasonably small!

Cheers Paul! I’m going to get it painted over winter to bring it back to life, as it’s got a couple of dinks in the tank and couple of small chips in the paint. But this summer is time to enjoy it :)

• Like Like x 4
  19. good news

Do Not Sell My Personal Information