1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 996 Help

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ians16, Aug 8, 2019.

1. You're right Harry, Ian has got as far as engaging starter so full starting mode has been enabled including ignition and visible spark making this a real mystery so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. cambelt jumped I bet.

3. Have you checked to see if the belts are still aligned?

4. See post #1

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mmm mystery then, it should work, everything is in place, can you try some easy start instead of fuel by taking out the fuel pump fuse and crank

6. if you take out the fuel pump fuse it won't crank :thinkingface: Easystart definitely worth trying, I questioned fuel at #12.

7. Ok just pull the wire off the pump instead then, mine still cranks with my fuse pulled but mine is a different model.:upyeah:

8. Valve gaps on rockers??

9. I know you said that the throttle bodies were wet but have you seen the injectors spraying?
    It is possible to turn the tank around and reconnect hoses and cables, and turn the engine over while watching the spray pattern.
    It may be that the hose has blown off from the pump inside the tank .

10. have you looked at the videos? spraying plus loads of fuel.

11. Cant play the videos on my stupid phone, but If you say the injectors are spraying then that has kicked that idea into touch.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hi all, i borrowed a compression tester but unfortunately it wont screw far enough into the socket to open the valve. I did the 'poor mans' knuckle in the hole and whilst i can't check how strong, theres definitely positive (and vacuum) pressure in the spark plug socket. Looking a bit closer at the belt markings/notches, the two top gears line up to the markings but the marks on the belt don't so as suggested, i think the belts may have slipped. Engine timing is something i've never played with before - if i remove all the covers does each cog have a location mark to the frame to check for slippage? The belts seem in good condition and were only changed around 10 months ago and it only gets the odd weekend mileage...

As said before, i appreciate each and every reply, great community, thank you :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Oh i should have said, i've also tried holts easy start and wynns intake spray so probably rules dodgy fuel out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Sounds like belts then, look on you tube, plenty of stuff about markings there:upyeah:

15. there's something staring you (and us) in the face Ian - all of the ingredients appear to be there so one must be an imposter. Looking forward to your compression figures.

16. The marks on the belts won't necessarily line up unless you keep turning the engine for hours, if the crank and cam timing marks all line up correctly then all's fine.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. just had another thought its not the fuel pipe in the tank is it?? they split and lose fuel pressure but you still get some though to the injectors.

18. I agree with Steve, the belts ‘slipping’ or jumping a few teeth is a red herring. The marks on the belt will only line up with the marks on the cigs at install and then once every few thousand revolutions. Besides which, if they’d jumped teeth your valve timings would be out and you’d definitely know about that.

19. If it is I believe it is possible to turn the key to prime the pump with the fuel cap open and hear the splashing of spilling fuel - I may be wrong though

20. Whilst the fuel cap’s open you could chuck in a lighted match and see if you get combustion then? :p At least you’ll know whether it’s petrol or diesel in there.

Sorry, this is a serious thread and that doesn’t really help does it :worried:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information