1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 996s Refresh

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by sam996S, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Hello everyone

My 996S suffered (by my hand I hate to say) from years of neglect. It sat outside quietly corroding through 4 UK winters. In 2016 I thought she deserved better and decided to give her a clean. That's when it happened.

A wash and polish has turned into a full strip down of the bike and engine. What was a few hours work is now entering year 2.

First picture is of what she looked like pre-neglect. 2nd picture is after a hit and run and then 4 years of sitting outside under cover completely unloved.

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Frame and wheels powder coated

IMG_0065.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  3. nice colour is that gun metal grey??

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Engine was in a state. Now in the process of stripping and painting.

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Work was done by Steve Turner (TPCS Magnesium and Alloy Refurbishing and he calls that colour metallic grey. I wanted to stay factory, but quite happy with this result.

• Like Like x 2
  6. yeah ive had work done by them before nice colour that mate looking forward to seeing it back together.

7. Painted the engine casings, heads and various bolt on parts today. Used Por 15 engine enamel in Aluminium. Oh and about 80 hours of wire bushing, paint stripping, masking and prepping the metal for paint. IMG_0123.jpg IMG_0124.jpg IMG_0127.jpg IMG_0128.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  8. Nice work!

9. Come on Sam, you must have done a bit more by now. Good work so far.
    Steve

10. Let's see...

1. Had all bolts and fixings refreshed.
    2. Ordered and fitted all engine casing bearings. Decided against replacing the big end bearings myself, mine having titanium rods the torquing process requires more than a standard torque wrench.
    3. Had valve guides checked, all in spec
    4. Have new rings and top end gasket and seal kit ready to install
    5. Just waiting on new shims for the various shafts so I can finally reassemble the engine.
    6. Light grind on the valves and leak down test to be completed.

Once those shims arrive it will move again much faster.

IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0061.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  11. Engine is coming together. Valves were lapped, heads and ports polished. Checked all the clearances and need to get a few shims before I can do the final assembly. Engine so far has had all new bearings, rings, gaskets and seals.
    It is getting close to going back into the frame and the long, long awaited final checks before attempting to start this beast after a few years of rest.

IMG_0205.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  12. Well I haven’t posted for a while. Progress was slow over summer. But with a hard stop deadline approaching I had to pull my finger out.

Engine was completed. Valve clearances done. And back into the frame she went.

Then the very, very expensive process of replacing tired and discarded parts began.

I was quite nervous to put fuel in her. Half expecting an almighty bang or crunching sound. But instead I was rewarded with the bike roaring to life. After the first press of the starter and all.

She was running very rich and I spotted a few coolant leaks thanks largely to some cheap (and apparently useless jubilee clips I used).

Today I did a throttle body sync and adjusted the CO mix to lean it out. Which worked a treat. But I fear I am now too lean.

Fairings go off for some minor repairs and a respray this week. Then all the new shiny stuff goes on the bike and we are off to the MOT office - where she hasn’t been for 5 years.

I’ll try now to post some pics

• Like Like x 4
  13. Top thread @sam996S. Great attention to detail. Engine casings look ace :upyeah: Looking forward to seeing it progress further

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Im no expert but those belts look a little loose to me!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yes belts were loose. I tightened them up using the 45 degree twist technique.

Here is a video (can’t seem to embed it here)

• Like Like x 2
  16. I'd be more worried about the tank on backwards :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Little known fact. Ducatis are faster with the tank on backwards and no fuel cap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. nice work so far dude!!! We need a shit load more pics though...
    I rebuilt my 748 a few years back and it to started out as a minor refresh and turned into a many thousand pound thing taking 2 years..
    so rewarding though and I wish I had the money/ time to do another...

19. You sure that's a real ducati? I couldn't see any bins?. Like the work put in sir, not a bad sound either.

20. Then it will be pics you shall get. I’ll see what can be done in that department tomorrow - as I’m now waiting for parts to arrive and have little else to do. :)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information