1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 2002-2003 Red Paint Codes

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Alastair_999, Aug 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. hi all. Some help needed. Is my 02-03 999 paint code 473.101. Anyone know for sure? Also is this a 2 stage paint. I’ve found two suppliers offer single stage and tried these, close but not perfect when on my test panel and RSbike paint tells me this is 2 stage and I need to use their base coat - fine but I don’t want to respray again unless I’m sure as maybe only I can tell it’s not a perfect match. Has anyone experience in this. Many thanks from a fussy owner. Ps. God these 999’s are SO AWESOME!!!

2. if you plan on respraying and just want to buy the paint, then take the bike to an automotive paint distributor (who supply car bodyshops) and ask them if they have a spectrophotometer (they might call it a camera) and they can read your paint and match it almost perfect. Yes, its a 2 stage so the colour (base coat) is normally waterborne in the UK though you might find solvent based paint it probably won't be a good brand or even a good color match...not all paint is equal. Try and find Spies Hecker brand, best refinish paint.

3. Thanks for the help. I tried the Spectro thing but unless they mixed it wrong it was way too orange. Not even close. I’m going to pop in to see them and just check they didn’t make an error. But what’s confusing me is These guys at RS say that the red colour is somewhat transparent so you need their base coat first, then the red and then the laquer. So it’s 3 layers to final finish. They say that without the base coat the match isn’t guaranteed. Does that sound right? I’m going to use aerosols, I can get more or less mirror finish with them after a bit of a machine polish but I don’t have any special equipment.

4. Any paint factor will have thst colour on their charts. Spies hecker definitely will.

You prime with a flat grey, there is a white ground coat which goes on before the red.

The red base coat goes on after the ground coat and its the white that shines through and makes the red zing.

Two coats of each and then 2 laquer on top and its done.

• Like Like x 1
  5. yes, their base coat will help you get a brighter and more accurate red if thats how they formulate their colours. With our spectro (i work in paint business ) i got perfect match with our system.
    good luck

6. Ah. Where are you? Perhaps I can come and see you and buy some paint and take the guesswork and expense. I’m down lots of man hours, the paint cost in incidental.

7. Have you got a ‘ brown brothers’
    Paint factors near you. They can mix the ppg formulas and put it in a quality rattle can.
    As someone said, white primer or undercoat followed by red basecoat and then clearcoats.
    You say you don’t have speciallist equipment, hence the rattle cans. In case your not aware, you can get 2k (2 pack) clearcoat rattle cans. Once activated it has a time frame of use. This kind of thing,
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kustom-C...Custom-Paint-Motorcycle-HOK-PPG-/173394055129

#7 Itsamonster, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  8. i dont actually sell, I'm european technical manager for a paint manufacturer...but the other comment from "itsamonster" might help you buy the right paint

9. Many thanks. I’m in London but if they are that good I’ll get across to them. Many thanks for taking the guess work out of this

10. Many thanks for the info. Learning lots on here.

11. Sorry one more question. I normally use 1k clear. Is 2k miles better (harder?). I know I’ll need to buy a special mask for it as it’s a bit nasty. Can you tell me what the difference is without getting mega technical. Thanks

12. Sorry one more question. I normally use 1k clear. Is 2k miles better (harder?). I know I’ll need to buy a special mask for it as it’s a bit nasty. Can you tell me what the difference is without getting mega technical. Thanks

13. The 2k paints you run through a spraygun these days are mostly HS ( high solid), although MS ( medium solid) is still readily available. ( we’re talking about the solid colours and clear here, not the basecoat you’ll use for colour on your project). 2k tends go on in thicker layers and will dry quickly and achieve a better hardness of finish. You add a hardner to the mix which activates the quick curing process. This is also speeded up by adding heat after application.
    Because your not doing it all the time and your only doing small parts, you can use a 3m type of disposable mask ( not a dust mask) and of course have the area well ventilated.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Disposable-Paint-Spray-Respirator-Face-Mask-/252441575270

#13 Itsamonster, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information