1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 2002 748e Not Starting

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Leon Buswell, Apr 18, 2020.

1. I I am needing some advice troubleshooting the reason my 2002 748 won’t start
    Driving home from a run out doing 70 mph bike started to run rough and just died the back wheel didn’t lock up but I did grab a handful straightaway though I didn’t notice but at the time it was running hot

When I got home I took both the belt covers off as that was my first thought thankfully both belts are there
    Fuel pump will prime pushing the start button you just get a clicking noise, Also I’ve pulled both plugs and the engine will still not turn over using the back wheel. Thanks

2. Internal fuel pipes split..?

3. sad to read, what are your oil and water levels at?

4. Have you checked the R&R white plug by the battery? Just wondering if you’re running the battery down enough to affect running.

5. I change the fuel filter and the green O ring gasket about 6 weeks before.

6. The white plug that plugs into the solenoid is Tire wired on

7. Oil and water are fine both changed 6 weeks ago

8. Have you checked the contacts? These often melt and give up the ghost leaving you at best with an uncharged battery.

9. Levels are correct.

10. Battery is reading 12.6/7

11. I’m getting 12ish v down to the starter Motor but can’t hear it spin. Might drop the oil and coolant and take out the starter motor tonight

12. I wouldn't be taking the starter out just yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. any clues looking at spark plugs? was engine generally hot or was it one cylinder running hotter than the other?

14. A failing reg/rec will cause the battery to slowly loose charge, while riding this causes the engine to start to run rough, gradually getting worse until it is painful to continue and stopping, this could be a possibility if the symptoms match, why it now won't turn over on the starter just needs looking at a bit further before jumping in and removing the starter.
    Turning over with the back wheel, try in a higher gear.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Spark plugs running ngk ridium normal condition, a little bit not much carbon on one of them.

16. Ok cool I’ll read up on the reg/rec. I’m in 6th gear and not moving. Jumping from another battery didn’t do anything. Bridge the solenoid with a large screwdriver same outcome.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. How did you get the bike home, if it won't turn over at all with the rear wheel and plugs out, it does look like something major unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Have you taken the plugs out to try and turn the engine over? If it doesn't move I would be looking further into that before trouble shooting electrics.

19. Put it in neutral..?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information