1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 999 non starter

Discussion in 'Test Forum' started by Paulem, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Hi I have been reading all you're comments but I have a weird problem, when I try to start my 2003 999 it just turns over and over but won't fire, I've had the starter out and have given it a good clean also cleaned all the cables and connections, and it has a new battery which is on trickle charge, but after several attempts to start it if I walk away in disgust but then return 5 mins later it starts I,m beginning to think it's the alarm as it's a data tool one and is now over ten years old any help will be greatly appreciated

2. How long since it was last running?
    Can you hear fuel pump prime when you switch on ignition?

3. Hi thanks for the reply, I try and start it most mornings but it was last started 4 days ago, and I can hear it prime then stop.

4. Some times it will turn over and just fire once then it just turns over and doesn't,t fire so that's when I have also walked away left it for 5 mins then it will start, I,ve tried starting it with the choke on and off and even half way on lol, normally you can get the knack of how a bike wants to start but this is just doing my head in.

5. Maybe a relay fault?

6. Thanks I'll try and get a new relay worth a try and see what happens I will let you know

7. Are you using Iridium sparkplugs? If you are, try changing to stock

8. Usually these problems are down to a very simple component, I agree with your suspicions about the alarm, these bikes are much better than early Ducati's, the weak link in the chain IMO is the aftermarket alarm, the immobiliser could be stopping it starting, it could even be a flat battery in the alarm fob, something as simple as that or an in line fuse that's blown.

9. I don,t know what plugs it has I will have to check tomorrow as I have only had the duke for 4 months and it was serviced just before I bought it, but it's been a pain from day one I,d go out on it and it was just like it had a flat battery so I changed the battery and that improved it turning over but still sometimes won't start when it's cold
    thanks for your help

10. Thanks for that it just keeps coming to my mind that it could be the Imobiliser because when I go back to it I don,t do anything different and she will fire within a few turns and then runs fine

11. Check out this thread and look at post by chrisW regarding earth wire. My 05 wouldn't start 1 cold morning, after fitting earth wire it cranks better and charge rate is better. I used heavy(10 core) solid copper household wire.

http://ducatiforum.co.uk/f92/749s-wont-start-12766/

Here's the link in case you wondered wtf I was on about

#11 900streetfighter, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  12. Hi
    thanks for the link when I had my starter off there is no bolt visible as I had to access the bolts through the alternator housing, but what I could do is bolt the wire to one of the long bolts that hold the starter motor together that will be a good earth will try that tomorrow.
    thanks

13. Yes there's a pic put up by chrisW post 17 showing a bolt that's good to connect to.

14. Hi every one thanks for all your help I've now done everything suggested but still won,t start first thing just turns over and over till the battery gets low leave on trickle charge and return 10 mins later and it fires straight up almost like its reset itself and then realises it has to start lol,
    really doing my head in next step she's going on eBay :-(

15. If you have gone as far as you can as a amateur mechanic perhaps it's time to pay someone to sort it out.

16. also take plugs out. see if sparks during cranking. now with back wheel of the ground slip it in to gear turn rear wheel does it spark now? you probably wont be able to turn it as fast as the starter.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information