1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 First Generation Multistrada 1200 S Touring Refresh

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Android853sp, Jan 13, 2020.

1. As previously posted, I decided to have an engine rebuild when it was found that the bike had low compression in the horizontal cylinder instead of bailing out and buying a new (to me) bike.

I have owned the bike from new and apart from removing the catalytic converter, fitting a Leo Vince exhaust system and having a generic, static ECU remap, the bike is standard.

The bike was dropped off at Moto Rapido last week and today I was able to pick up and inspect the engine components after the engine was fully disassembled.

The good news is, that apart from the horizontal cylinder bore/ring gap being oversize as expected, there are no signs of major wear on any of the components.

In the gearbox, one selector fork has a small polished area and the selector drum has a noticeable witness mark where the gear indicator switch locates which looks as though it might have worn through the anodising.

Heads have cleaned up and show minimal signs if wear although the valve seat/valve contact patch is quite wide and polished. For a stock item, both inlet and exhaust ports look remarkably smooth.

Casualties were limited to one horizontal cylinder head exhaust stud snapped proud of the head (few !) and the horizontal cylinder cam cover will be consigned to the bin as it has been peppered with crap and looks like the surface of the moon. Luckily, the swing arm bolt and the rear shock lower fixing bolt came out without problem.

My goal is to rebuild for reliability and longevity so the work I have currently agreed to is :
    Machine and re-plate both cylinders which will carried out by Langcourt.
    Fit new pistons and rings.
    Fit new con rod small end bushes, big end shells and con rod bolts. The crank pins look unmarked and are well within spec.
    Dynamically balance the crankshaft which will be carried out by Owslebury Crankshaft Services. The same guys balanced my 853 crank to 0.0/0.5gm.
    Replace the Selector drum and the one worn selector fork.
    Replace the main bearings and all the other bearings in the cases.
    Fit new mobile and fixed belt tensioners. (Only because the new generation of belt tensioners are sealed for life unlike the 916/748 ect bearings which can be replaced)
    Super finish all gears including the timing gears.
    Heads overhaul that will include a little bit of port polishing and new valve stem seals. The valve guides and cams show very little signs of wear.
    The only work I’m undecided about is recutting the valve seats and lapping in new valves but I’m open to persuasion.
    After the build is finished, the bike will be run in on the dyno and get a dynamic ecu map to suit the new Arrow exhaust.

Separately, I’m taking the swing arm and centre stand down to Steve Turner to get them blasted, anodised and powder coated. As the swing arm bearings have to be removed for powder coating, they will be replaced as well.

That is where I am at today, photographs and progress to follow, as and when it happens.

Andy

#1 Android853sp, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 15
  2. I've just stripped down my multistrada 2011 1200s after there was a strange rattle which I could not locate and came across a main bearing with one of the balls hard coating come off after going further and further into the engine to locate the source of the intermittent rattle / noise. I would replace the mains if I was down that far even if they cost around £160 the pair. My Multi has done 38000 miles only other concern was a worn bottom timing wheel shaft bearing . Expensive job but cheaper than an engine breaking and the mains do have some bad history. Brilliant bikes but they do take some looking after!

• Like Like x 1
  3. So, a few pictures. A detail of the horizontal head exhaust manifold in all its corroded glory.
    View attachment 184180
    Followed by a detail of the vertical head exhaust manifold.
    View attachment 184192
    Next is an attempt to show the groove worn on the selector drum by the gear selector indicator shaft.
    20200128_135328.jpg
    The next are the worst bits of corrosion on the cases.
    20200128_135229.jpg
    20200128_135239.jpg
    20200128_135346.jpg
    Heads cleaned up nicely.
    20200128_135204.jpg
    20200128_135209.jpg
    Pistons cleaned up too
    20200128_135249.jpg
    Gear cluster looks okay too
    20200128_135400.jpg
    Both barrels and new pistons have gone to Langcourt who should turn the parts around in about a week. Also decided to get the cases vapour blasted and 'finish coated' although I have yet to discuss with the vapour blasters just what the finish coating should be. I think they offer Cerakote. Andy

#3 Android853sp, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Second go !
    20200128_135500.jpg
    20200128_135509.jpg
    Andy

• Like Like x 3
  5. Looking good Andy. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Following with interest. I love my multi first gen....

7. A bit of Steve Turner magic collected today.
    20200206_143638.jpg 20200206_143916.jpg 20200206_143934.jpg 20200206_143803.jpg 20200206_143704.jpg
    Andy

• Like Like x 3
  8. A bit more progress.
    A bit of port polishing
    20200215_092821.jpg 20200215_093044.jpg
    and a bit of super finishing
    20200215_093224.jpg
    Andy

• Like Like x 7
  9. Slow progress, still waiting on the crank being balanced as OCS are up to their necks in work. Gear cluster assembled and heads fully built.
    Gear cluster
    20200311_115125.jpg
    Heads
    20200311_115141.jpg
    Newly plated barrel
    20200311_115352.jpg
    Andy

#9 Android853sp, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Looking phenomenal!

11. I have an admission. Whilst discussing which parts to renew for longevity, it was suggested fitting new valve guides would be prudent. Digging in to the price of parts the guides are unbelievably pricey, like £140 ish each but even more unbelievable is the price of a new head. Complete with guides and valve stem seals it’s quite a bit cheaper than the price of 4 guides. Anyway, I threw caution to the wind and bought new heads and valves which well and truly blew the initial budget but hey, you can’t take it with you and yes I know but I can’t help myself :D Andy

• Like Like x 2
  12. That's pretty cool! You could always refurbish the old heads as a fun project. Get the Dremel out and do a bit of gas flow work on them...

13. Anyone done a turbo Mutley? Watching this thread made me think I should have kept my 11 plate Mutley and done a refresh too:rolleyes:

14. This must be costing an arm and a leg Andy especially with the labour charges:thinkingface:

Also, that’s just bizarre, a complete head is less than the cost of 4 valve guides. Bizarre.

15. Won’t know until the final bill but approximately £10K less than the ex-demo 1260 I was looking at ........ bargain :D Andy

• Like Like x 1
  16. Well at least it’ll be like a brand new bike once finished:upyeah:

17. Was shown how the super finishing of all the gears and spindles have made the action silky smooth today, there has been a lot of love and attention paid to the build which I greatly appreciate. Joe in the workshop spent best part of 2 days reprofiling the inlet and exhaust ports and then another day building the heads and doing the shimming. Andy

• Like Like x 3
  18. Huge debt of gratitude owed to Moto Rapido this week. Earlier in the week, a manufacturing error was found in the crankshaft assembly whilst it was being balanced. It looks like a bolt was cross threaded during the original assembly of the parts and the guys thought it would be unwise to re-use it in the build. On my behalf, Moto Rapido approached Ducati and have amazingly secured a brand new replacement which is being supplied free of charge as a goodwill gesture. Much, much respect to Moto Rapido who have most definitely gone the full nine yards. Thank you guys. Andy

• Like Like x 17
  19. That’s a right Royal thumbs up to both parties there:upyeah:

20. Yes you are right, thank you Ducati as well. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information