1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Kawasaki Zx10r

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by tater, Jan 3, 2019.

1. I've been offered one at slightly silly money and I'm tempted to buy it run it for a year and then flog it on. Online/youtube reviews seem pretty mixed but the one thing that runs through all of them is the gearing being too tall for the road. Is it really that bad? is it something a little jiggery pokery with sprockets can solve for not a lot of money?

Really interested to hear peoples real world experiences.

2. I haven’t ridden the 2012 10r but I wouldn’t be put off by something so trivial, change the sprockets and the jobs done.

If the price is so good and the bike is good then go for it, on the assumption that you can flip it for profit when the time comes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I have a 2014 ZX10 which is basically the same bike as 2012. It is tall geared as standard but I’d say no worse than my 848 (for comparison). That’s either really bad or liveable with depending on your view - however as an IL4 it’s more flexible in revs so in a way easier to ride around.

1st gear is also quite long so it’s coming out of slow corners that you really notice the gearing.

I went up two teeth at the rear (41T) and it’s about right for the road - marked improvement. If it was only track use/ Sunday blasts I’d say -1 at the front too would be perfect (well track would depend on the track but you know what I mean). However I suspect it would start to get pretty buzzy on the motorway and fuel economy would start to suffer.

I do love the bike, absolute missile :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thread moved

5. Cheers for the replies and thanks for moving the thread El. Will have to see if he's serious.

6. I had the 2011. It did something ridiculous like 105 mph in first gear. Down one tooth on the front is the cheapest option for altering the gearing.

7. Quite high pegs as well I think I've read as a constant gripe over the years?

Even if the case it's another easy fix so I'd still consider one. A mate of mine is looking at one now, 2015 model I think

8. True enough. Although if you’re changing as a set it’s pennies in it. I prefer a larger back ring :p

9. What is silly money out of interest?

10. The 2011-2015 model has a set of ‘lower’ holes in the frame for the standard rear sets. I’ve never felt the need to experiment with moving them but am only average height - 5 11.

Overall I find it very comfortable. In fact it’s very hard to knock it at all other than that it’s not a sexy Italian

11. 1A73DEB1-4281-469B-8DAE-A084215049FD.jpeg
    Gratuitous Japanese workhorse pic

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. £5k, its tidy low miler with an Akra pipe on it. Although I think he's getting cold feet.

That looks fantastic in white.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information