1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 2014 899 Panigale Trouble Displaying Neutral

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by JRosc, May 22, 2022.

1. Anyone else had this trouble? Had this bike for 3 weeks or so from private sale, everything else is perfect but recently started to get no neutral indication sometimes. It just shows first gear. This happens probably every other ride, sometimes it works properly, sometimes it freaks out and rapidly switches between neutral and 1st indication, sometimes just full on 1st. The functionally of the neutral seems to be intact, there is not really any problems with how it actually works.

2. Could be a sign that the gear position sensor is on its way out. They do fail from time to time…

3. Most probably gear indicator sensor is faulty. Very common fault but no big deal to sort. I've gone through 2 in 5 years. Sometimes they can be reset by a main agent but both of mine needed replacing then reset using laptop and correct software.

4. As the others have said, gear position sensor. When mine failed it was just a straight swap without a gear learn required.

5. Hmm, exactly the same problem that I had today with my Hypermotard. I'll have to look into the recalibration method before replacement.

6. Did you reset it yourself using jpdiag or similar? On mine it shows as a potentiometer in the wiring diagram so I'm not surprised it needs 'setting'.

7. No. I don't have the correct software to do this so I took mine to Glen at Moto V as he has all the correct equipment on hand and he reset it for me by running it up through the gears on a paddock stand. Only took around 5 mins and has been perfect ever since.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Hi, it's the gear position sensor, there are 3 versions of it, I just changed it now with my mechanic, it's about 140 ish odd, and get the 3rd version, the 1st two are faulty, I had them both, 3rd one is a charm... it was also a recall for that

hope this helps,
    Paul

• Like Like x 1
  9. Paul - can you tell me the part number?

10. hi Keith,

I can but i'm at work now, I can let you know when I get home, I still got the faulty part

this is how it looks like but if i'm not mistaken when he looked for the part at ducati parts he bought the 3rd latest version

gear sensor.jpg

11. Thanks - that's the same part number as the Hyper one. I'd really appreciate it if you could measure the hex/spanner size so I can start making up a tool to undo it. Going to test it on the bike first to check whether it's just out of 'calibration' or actually faulty as it's going to be a pain to get out. Dealer says they need to plug in to their diagnostics to 'calibrate' a new one but they don't understand or can't explain why, and they don't understand the questions I'm asking about it :rolleyes:

Slightly cheaper from Ducati Coventry I think - £101.86
    Cheers

12. I found this gear-position sensor set up procedure from Ducati (through US Duc forum). Purely manual, so no need for fancy workshop equipment! I'll try it this weekend if I can & let all know...
    Title:
    Gear Learning Procedure Update Models: 899 Panigale; 1199 Panigale; Diavel; Multistrada 1200; Hypermotard 939 Hypermotard 939 SP; Hyperstrada 939; Monster 1200 R (all versions/Model Year) Tips & Tricks Bulletin SRV-TTB-16-003

Attached Files:

13. @JRosc, did you get the problem sorted?

14. Hey for some reason completely missed this thread. I'm still having this problem, didn't really fix itself, but it did become less frequent that I'm getting this issue. I will ask the guys at Ducati dealership to look into it, as my 12k service has just come up :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. ....and... the process didn't work :( nothing doing, didn't even get past step 1. Bugger

16. It's been 2 months since I replaced the Hyper's gear-position sensor and haven't had the chance to ride it until today. I'm happy to report that it worked fine without the need for calibration :upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
  17. I still haven't done anything about neutral, but now noticed that when in 3rd gear low rpm 2nd gear flashes up occasionally on the gear indicator. Not sure if this was happening before and I just didn't notice. Also curious, could there be some bad interaction between rapid bike autotuner and switching between riding modes like sport -> wet. If the bike is learning the tuning on sport mode, would that have any negative effects on the wet mode? Feels like sometimes the bike is "chugging" in the wet mode, but might be due to high TCS setting.
    The reason for wet mode is I find it more comfortable to ride when I'm in the city

18. My neutral plays up occasionally but I’ve found that parking it up in gear after a ride out stops it happening (most of the time).

Do Not Sell My Personal Information