1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 Multistrada 1200 Keyless Ignition Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Topbox, May 25, 2020.

1. Gentlemen and ladies

The keyless ignition has stopped working on my 2014 multistrada.

2 weeks ago a warning came on of low battery in the fob. I changed the battery and all was well. However, today 100 miles into a a 220 ride the keyless ignition stopped working. There was no warning of low fob battery. The PIN code still worked and that got me home.

When I got home I changed the fob battery again, still no ignition.

Ideas, suggestions and diagnosis most welcome to help me sort this.

Thanks in advance.

TB

P.S. I've never seen the Peak District so full.

2. Leaving the remote battery out for 20 mins worked with my original '16 Enduro until I got the key update. Don't know if there's an update for yours?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Would it have to have the fault cleared from when it showed up the low fob battery icon ??

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Are any lights coming in the dash or is there 100% nothing happening at all?

#4 michel couque, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Hi Michael thanks for your post.

There is nothing happening. Try as I might to press the handle bar switch as "differently" as possible nothing happens, the dash remains blank as it does when switched off.

TB

6. ok I have had same problem and it seems to stem from bad contacts within the keyfob. I am using a bit of paper to make sure the battery is held more securely and has been well behaved since. It was a major PITA as I would rendezvous with friends 40 miles from home, and after our greetings the bloody bike played up as stated a few times,of course everyone took the piss as it’s a Ducati.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Thanks, Thats interesting. I'll try it.

TB

8. @michel couque good call. I spun the battery round half a dozen times and it started working again. Still a mystery tho why it should suddenly stop working.

Thanks again.

TB

10. Hi, know this is a old conversation but I thought I might share something I found on my 2013 1200 multistrada, started having the common problems with the keyless ignition, no low battery warnings, just not registering the key unless placed on the front of the screen or under the dash, changed the battery, no difference, all set for a trip to the dealers but decided to spend a little bit of time to see if I could get to the bottom of this common problem. Worked out that the reciever must be ok as the ignition worked if either the red key or the black fob were placed on the screen, must be the fob, took the fob apart again, tested the battery 3.27v, started looking at the circuit board for any signs of a dry joint, all looked good, at this point I realised that the negative side battery terminal on the circuit board is flush with the board, the diameter of this terminal pad is smaller than the negative side of the battery so the battery could not make a good contact with the terminal pad. It couldn't be something so simple could it ? I folded up a very small piece of tin-foil into approximately a 5mm pad 3 layers thick, placed very carefully in the middle of the negative side of the battery and slid the battery back into it's slot on the board, being very, very careful not to let the foil come in contact with the positive section of the battery, clipped the fob back together and trotted of back to the garage. Didn't even take the fob out of my pocket, tried the red button, hey presto dash lit up perfectly, kept trying it moving the fob further away each time, perfect, probably around 2 metres radius of the bike just as it shoud. To say I was pleased would be a under statement. I'm not saying that this will solve every one's problems but it solve some.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
  11. Are the relays 10 years old? If so you might consider replacing them.

Relays do not last for ever. Eventually they start to fail, often partially or intermittently. This can cause various odd issues.

12. Just a quick update, been out on the multistrada a couple of times since I had a play with the key-fob, everything perfect, fob in pocket, flick the red button and away she goes.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information