1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 R1

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by big thumpa, Dec 2, 2014.

1. But I think it starts to beg the question - which has been asked many times before...."doesn't that take away the process of learning the skill..."

Ive read recently (PB I think) that lots of the TT racers have the option of electronics but have them all switched off..

2. I'm coming around to the idea a bit lately. The racers turn everything as it is too intrusive and doesn't react quick enough so they are faster without it. For the average rider this isn't the case and good electronics allow you to learn to slide the bike but still have some safety for if it goes wrong. I've always rode with everything switched to race mode on the Panigale which is the minimum settings and I got my first Panigale three or four months after getting my licence so I have pretty much learnt to ride on it. It has saved me from disaster at least once on track at Silverstone last year, but otherwise it has not done anything much until recently as I'm getting more on the limits of the bike and tyres. At Donnington I was riding pretty quick on a trashed rear tyre that was sliding around a lot and the traction light was coming on all the time. It was a nice lesson in the limits of traction which I would not have been as comfortable exploring without. I think that's the good side of the modern electronics, it lets you play with stuff that you would otherwise be very wary of, especially on an expensive machine like the Panigale.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yep - I do agree - however I would say that everyone's different....I fully accept that eventually in some shape way or form ill end up with something with an electronics package but, for me I felt a little disconnected on the s1000r that I test rode....that was one of the reasons that I went for the z1ooo, saying that if I had the funds for an r1 I would definitely buy one and live/learn to use the bells and whistles...in the defence of my zed I do like the fact that I can feel what its doing if say for example im right over I can feel when Im getting close to the edge of the tyre...

4. I'm a little hesitant with the 1299 for the same reason. On the one hand the active electronic suspension would clear up the areas that the 1199 is hard to live with on poor quality roads and I think make it a nicer bike to own when riding on the road, but on the other hand the raw experience of the 1199 on track is awesome. The fact that the active stuff is not on the R version says a lot to me, that said, all the reviews have been 100% praising the 1299 on track as well so I guess it's not really an issue for the average punter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Good electronics do not allow you to learn how to slide it. They teach you how to smash the throttle and what happens when it goes wrong and electronics don't work

They are not fail safe. Ask Kope. He had the best kit but still highsided ;)

• Like Like x 1

6. good post.

:upyeah:

I myself think the 1199 will be cult status due to the fact its so "raw" over the 1299. Re which is a better bike is of personal opinion, but you cant take away from the fact when the 1199 came out is what like that evil little ***ker from the gremlins, "spike". All gnarly and tenacious :cool:

Really enjoyed the vid you put up. Aint been to any UK track yet, but would love to. Lines look great. ( The guy on the other pan at 3:30 time frame should have waited imo ).

• Like Like x 1
  7. I am not a big watcher of BSB but after watching the recording from last weekend it looks like the R1M could be at the top of the race pile to me?

8. well I have been out and about on it briefly having got it back from the race team as it wont be used this season due to the rider being injured, missed TT (bike was not ready anyway) will miss the Ulster. So I have it on the road for the rest of the summer before handing it over to the boffins to prep for next season. Pre season will be around March likely to be in Spain.

Anyway she now has Ohlins TTX rear and Ohlins forks/internals etc...plus a nice looking and very nice sounding MTC exhaust(yep it looks and sounds better than I ever imagined). The suspension is set up for the team rider who happens to weigh a good 3 stone than me..so its incredibly hard over bumpy roads so much so that I am frequently off the seat. I need that adjusting !!

Far from cheap finish and looks are a bit marmite, I happen to really like it and judging by joe public that i have come across so far they like it.

Its got a great sound to it and the power delivery is smooth and instant, helped along by a very slick quick shifter. I am smitten, its the red one (best colour)and by god its rapid.

I have had the 1098s up for sale for a couple of weeks as I don't need 2 super-bikes and...this will be controversial ...I actually want to keep the R1.

All the electronics have their nay sayers BUT I have to say that I prefer having the option of them ON/OFF rather than having nothing at all. As pointed out by Bradders, these are not crash proof bikes just because black magic happens in little hidden boxes. If you push hard enough it will still bite you on the ass.

Having had trickery on my Hyper SP I probably wouldn't go to a bike without it now (yes some of you shaking your heads and groaning about rider ability being masked by gimmicks) I do use a 07 GSXR for the track and thats great fun..in a safe environment, I have had 2 crashes at my last 2 race meets its unlikely any black magic gadgets would have saved me in the 1st one(front break failed) and who knows on the 2nd one I had a low slide when the front tucked pushing too hard!!

For the roads and the unpredictable morons texting/applying make up, inconsistent road surfaces and potholes, the British weather..rain/sun/rain, I will take the rider aids every time. I like being able to choose if I want the lower power/softer throttle when the rain comes down or the reverse when the sun is out!!

I haven't taken the 1299 or even 899 out and to be honest I am not really bothered, I actually think I was turning in to a complete bore banging on about Ducati character, sound, badge...snobbery!!

I still love Ducatis' and will be back to them but not in a hurry. I have gone to the dark side and its pretty refreshing!

The R1 is a potent bit of kit and I never thought I would fall for a Jap bike ever again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Cheers for the write up. I havn't managed to get out on one but from following my yamaha mechanic mate on one the other week I can certainly see the appeal. I'm too in love with Italian red for now but perhaps some time I'll get back on a Yam.

10. To my mind electronics allow you to ride over and above the available grip. In the old days you would just slow up if things got out of shape but electronics will in effect tailor the power delivery/braking force (for abs) to suit the conditions. On the track it makes for better lap times I guess but the cream still rises.

On the road Abs and TC has got to be a good thing for all year riders but really an expensive gimmick for the Sunday blast. If I had the choice of new bikes at £4k less or a few gadgets I don't really need for my Mr Average riding level, I take the discount. But technology sells bikes and so we are likely to get more not less.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information