1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 1199r :)

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Monners, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Mostly track bike , but I'm keeping the 1199s and maybe going racing so the R should not get so much abuse.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Beautiful bike,do you get any extras with the r like race cans ?,looking forward to you thoughts compared to the 1199s and the bmw.

3. Cool, which race series are you looking at ?

4. Could of grabbed one but doing the work run with my bags was an issue. Enjoy

5. Wow! Gorgeous machine. Oof, don't bust it....

6. IMG_4444.JPG IMG_4471.jpg IMG_4476.jpg IMG_4447.jpg Picked the new R up from Snell Performance yesterday and got in a couple hundred miles over the weekend; mostly trying to dodge thunderstorms on saturday and in the sun today. I'm still on the reduced revs run in procedure but even now the engine feels incredible. I can't wait to have the full revs to play with. The bike is feather light and gives so much confidence that I was knee down through a couple of the fast corners today which is something that has never happened on the road before. I don't even have knee sliders on some of my road leathers as there never seemed any point. It's an angry beast with the lumpy race cams and gets pretty hot when going slow through towns so wouldn't be much fun for the commute but for fast riding its incredible. I've kept hold of the S1000RR for now to use for long road journeys so the R will be doing track duty and a bit of fair weather riding.
    The titanium exhaust has already gone a beautiful purple blue colour.

IMG_4405.JPG

IMG_4424.JPG

IMG_4446.jpg

IMG_4451.JPG

IMG_4475.jpg

IMG_4483.jpg

#26 Monners, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 21
  7. Looks fabulous. Was looking at one at JHP on Saturday just waiting to go out to its new owner. They are just stunning.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wow, congrats. Looks ace :upyeah:

9. That's gorgeous! Very jealous [emoji16] Would love to know how it compares to your old S once you've been able to open her up properly

10. Yeah, I'll post some proper comparison once I get some more miles in. Even with reduced revs it's still serious fun. After about twenty miles I felt it significantly loosen up and after about fifty I started riding fairly hard within the reduced rpm and it already feels very strong after about 180 miles. It might have been unnecessary but I did an early oil change at 100 hundred miles figuring that it would remove the worst of the build metal burrings. You should come join us for a ride one day Sam and have a go.

11. Definitely! I was going to suggest we get out for a spin sometime. Where approximately are you based?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Awesome!!

Glad you're happy mate. Looks stunning.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Awesome.....didnt think some were still available!

Wear well, more pics when its unwrapped!

;)

14. Hi Royalwithcream, I'm glad to see that you have given it a very good clean since I saw it on sat in the workshop. I'll see if i can blag a DIY oil change ;)

15. Haha hello mate, yes I had to give it a wipe down :) good to meet you the other day. Did you go ahead with the bike you were looking at?

16. like wise, good to meet a fellow enthusiast. I pondered over it over the weekend and decided that I don't really need it, and although I really like it... there was no love at first sight moment (like the 1199).

hopefully the roads will dry this afternoon and i can go for a ride :)

#36 R6-Ed, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  17. Fair one, if there's one thing I've realised from recent bike buying it's that it has to get you by the heart strings. We had a good ride out last night. I was a bit worse for wear after an unexpected all nighter in London after work but still managed to get up to 500 miles so I'm very nearly run in now.

Thoughts so far?

The engine is mind blowing even with the reduced revs that I'm running on at the moment. It's super responsive and so quick to spin up, but still with a shed load of low down grunt that you'd expect from a twin. It's feeling really strong and I'm excited to get use of the full revs. The bike is unbelievable light, I really love this aspect of it and can throw around so easily.
    It's definitely not a commuter! The race cams are superbly angry and dont like low speeds so tend to make the bike surge in traffic. The seat gets noticeably hotter than my 1199S presumably for the same reason. I specifically didn't want the more friendly 1299S but if I was looking for a bike to travel on, do a bit of commuting and track days then I would definitely choose the 1299S over the R. Electronic suspension has come of age with the 1299S and the new S1000RR and for road riding I'm definitely sold. When you hit some bumpy road on the 1199S on race settings or the new R with it's stiff traditional suspension it feels like you have a puncture sometimes. With the 1199S you can at least just change modes whilst riding to soften the ride, and then flick back again when back on smooth roads which works well. No one would bother changing settings on normal mechanical suspension unless they knew they were on crap roads all the time, in which case there's no point having a bike like this anyhow.

So I'm most definitely in love with this bike and looking forward to using it properly. We've got track days at Snetterton and Brands Hatch GP coming up but I'm a bit worried about noise limits for those so the next definite date is Anglesey on the 26th August for really stretching it's legs. Hopefully we'll get something else in before that though.

IMG_4579.JPG

IMG_4574.JPG

IMG_4577.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  18. wow, 500 miles in one go... committed and maybe slightly crazy :wink:
    Good to here your enjoying her. Are you going along to Snells Ducati roadshow event this tomorrow (Sat)?

I really must spend some time actually learning and understanding how to set up the suspension. I just get on a ride, but in the last few months I've only just reallised that getting a bike properly set up make all the difference.

19. Best looking sportsbike out there bar none.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Three rideouts so far. I did a hundred miles when we met up then rode up to Oxford for the awesome Thame to Bicester road on the weekend, then this trip London to Hastings last night. As usual I wished I hadn't been out making shapes on London dance floors as I was feeling the pain and never ride well when my legs are weak! (did some good shapes though). I'm off to meet the lady who is already at her Mums in Italy tomorrow so not at the Roadshow.

The suspension thing definitely makes a big difference. I like having the different modes on the 1199s as its easy to change stuff.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information