1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 2016 Ducati 1299 (base) Review

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by burndownthediscos, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Don't get what you mean? I was paying for petrol on all the loan bikes I was given whilst Ducati worked on the stuck throttle on my 899 that nearly killed me. Is that freeloading?

#21 burndownthediscos, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  2. it was in reply to my comment, :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Ah ok me just being thick

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. How do you get to test ride so many bikes? I had one test ride of an 899 and it cost me £20 for about 20 minutes, plus I think there was a massive excess on the policy for it.

Before that I had a free long test ride of a s1000r and I didn't even buy the bike from them.

5. Throttle stuck open on my 899. They were loaning me bikes to use whilst it was being investigated.

To be fair I would rather not have had it happen at all and no loan bikes.

6. A stonking review. Strueth - Ducati must love you! They've easily got their money's worth of free PR. They should be queuing up to loan you bikes!

I am totally happy with my 999 - which is just as well, as I can't afford a new bike. But your review is the first I have read which really makes me feel I am missing out. Of course, with the current Swiss legislation, if I had a 1299, it wouldn't be for long. I would be put in jail and the bike confiscated and crushed, no doubt.
    There is indeed something about just having far, far more than enough. I imagine the 1299 can rip your arms off - and that is surely worth paying for, even if having done it you keep a nervous eye on your letter box for a couple of weeks.

Well done!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. You don't have the same issues with your 999? :)

I'd be on the naughty step if plod were out in their horsebox around me...

It's all relative really though is it not? Ever noticed end of season that you think your bike feels slower.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. I do actually have these issues with the 999, it's just that I imagine they'd be even worse if I had a bike with an extra 50 horses...
    TBH, the new (well, it's a couple of years old now) Swiss legislation, which has to be the most draconian and ridiculous in the world, is curtailing my biking.
    I have ridden much the same way for 30 years: quite fast, respectful of other road users and inhabitants, and very much illegally as regards speed limits on the open road. I reckon that is how very many of us ride; not all of us, but maybe most of us - on sports bikes at any rate. I've never involved anyone in an accident, I've not been hospitalised - though I have fallen off many times (although not in the past 15 years or so through any fault of mine).
    But now I feel that I'm no longer able to just mind my own business: the law wants to mind it for me and punish me. And it's not just Switzerland. The last two fines I got were in France, where once again I was in the middle of nowhere, and annoying no one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. I'm riding the 1299 again this week and seeing how it performs specifically commuting. THe noise is great for sleepy drivers when filtering and the extra oomph is good for quickly getting round vehicles when pootling along.

I'm hoping for it to piss down some day to get an idea what it's like riding through traffic in the wet.

10. Tempted to buy one?

11. In a word yes!

It just depends what Ducati offer for the whole 899 rigmarole. I have a figure im happy to pay for it. Should know by the weekend.

Had it in wet mode all day today due to the rain and even on supercorsas its fine. The TC light flickered between gear shifts but that's probably as it was so sensitive.

Auto blipper makes wet riding a doddle as the bike is stable as anything when shifting down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. This bike is all kinds of brilliant. Hoping to have a constructive chat with the dealers tomorrow!

DSC02803.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. Had mine since April , traded in my 1199 , 1st season on it has been utterly brilliant 6,000 miles on now , very very pleased all round

14. The only negatives so far other than the price and shite mirrors.

Struggle to get more than 120 from a tank commuting.

Two wet days this week and whilst it performed brilliantly it looks a bit sorry for itself. This probably isn't helped by the fact it looks so beautiful when clean.

15. Admit it though, the new front looks a bit like the 'less attractive twin' doesn't it ;-) I'm of course kidding! Good luck today, hopefully they can put something together for u that also involves free Alrapovics. I can't imagine that's going to make your morning commute a quiet one though

16. It was really windy yesterday and I'm certain the wider front made the 1299 feel a bit more wobbly then the 899 ever did in similar conditions.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Mpg gets better with more miles , in my opinion mirrors are better , they have a shorter arm resulting in a stronger fix and less shake

18. Sick with ya 899 then pal

19. Wish I could but its away back to Ducati faulty and not coming back.

1299 is superb in every way. It was only in gale force winds noticed that.

20. What you getting out of a tank when not out on blasts just rising casually.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information