1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT 2018 Multistrada

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Wayne58, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Can't even colour code the Hand Guards

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. What a strange way to hold a motorcycle. All phallic like innit, like a big red love rocket :upyeah:

3. If the swing arm and chassis have “grown” a bit it should be even more roomy for pillion. Not that it was lacking on the last upgrade but my missus always likes a couple inches more

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Looking at the pics,all the rear loop looks the same, just the wheel looks further back with respect to it.

5. I've just been reading the review here: http://www.mcnews.com.au/2018-ducati-multistrada-1260-1260-s-1260-s-d-air/5/

Interesting to hear they have implemented a form of electronic linked braking.
    "Thanks to its ABS control processor the Multistrada makes use of an Electronic Combined Braking System that is optimised for the Urban and Touring Riding Modes but has a lower degree of interaction in Sport mode where combined braking is less desirable. Designed to improve rear tyre control during hard braking, the rear-wheel lift detection is fully enabled in Urban and Touring Riding Modes."

Was this on the current DVTs too ?

Given that I usually ride in Touring mode, especially when 2 up, this sounds like a bit of a mixed blessing.
    I always liked the linked braking on the Honda VFR800, but like to know just how much brakes I've applied / have in reserve.

The hill hold assist sounds good too. The 9 seconds release is only if you've not actually applied it by giving a hard pull/press on the front/rear brake.

Nice features from the new phone app too (if it works...)
    "In addition to bike data and rider’s performance, the application records the route travelled, which can be shared with other app subscribers. They can also use the app to create their own network of friends with whom to organise events, rallies and rides, and share everything on social networks."

I can see this being a bit of a laugh :p
    I'm not sure how useful the download of the riding route will be, unless we can get it into basecamp / tyre.

Just need to have a ride on one now :yum

6. The app does that now. You can share them, and thru the app you can see others routes, if they have been shared. I haven’t tried it, but there is a button for it iirc

7. Various magazine articles, closely based on Ducati's press releases, do not make it clear which features of the new 1260 are the same as the current 1200 model and which are different. It would be more informative if they did. No doubt it will be clarified in due course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I believe even the 2014 models had linked brakes in urban and touring mode. It says something to that effect in the manual anyway.

9. I agree Pete. Since I dont have a DVT I'm not quite sure what is new.

Bradders, I didnt know that, so its handy to know now. Not that it was a deciding factor to choose between 18 or 17 anyway :yum
    Rather than seeing other peoples routes (who I dont know) I would like to be able to save and load them into say basecamp.
    I guess I need to download the app and have a play with it :bucktooth:

Tim, I thought the 2014 bikes had the same abs unit that went all the way back to the 2010 models.
    Didnt the abs unit get upgraded with the DVT when they gave the S model better front brakes, cornering abs, etc. ?
    I didnt know that included linked brakes though.

Just wondering how santa is going to getit down our chimney without scratching it :confused::D

10. You'll need the dvt to do that, as it links to the bike :)

11. From what I can see the major changes from the 1200 (2015-2017) to 1260 are:
    • Engine: increase in capacity from longer stroke (71.5 mm was 67.9 mm) with new con rods, crankshaft an cylinders. Compression is 13.0:1 compared with 12.5:1 for the 1200. The engine is based on engine in XDiavel with revised layout of water pump and cooling pipework. Quoted power (crank) is now 158 hp / 116.2 kw at 9,500 rpm (the quoted power of the 1200 was downgraded from the original 160 hp stated in 2015 to 152 hp / 112 kw, at the same revs. The maximum torque is also up to 95.5 lb-ft / 129 Nm at 7,500 rpm (1200 was last quoted as 94 lb-ft / 128 Nm, same revs) however the torque of the 1260 engine is said to be 18% more than the 1200 at 5,500 rpm and the 1260 makes 85% of maximum torque at 3,500 rpm. The 1260 press release says the air intake mouth was redesigned and the exhaust piping was redesigned, with new inner layout of the pre-silencer and a new silencer.
    • Frame geometry: 1260 has a longer swingarm (48mm) and increased wheel base of 1,585 mm and increase of 55 mm compared with the 1200 (Enduro is 1,594 mm). The 1260 has rake of 25° (1200 is 24°, Enduro is 25°) and the rake is 111 mm (1200 is 106 mm, Enduro is 110 mm). The 1260 press release says the the frame has large-diameter yet thin tubing.
    • Ducati Quick Shift (DQS) Up & Down: standard on the S and D|Air versions, option of the Standard version. The gear lever linkage has been changed, it now features a shorter stroke for more accurate engagement. The generator cover of the Multistrada 1260 engine has been redesigned to accommodate the new, more advance gear sensor which is a core component of the DQS Up & Down.
    • Aesthetic update: New fairing side panels, more rounded / less slabby (my words). Here are Ducati's words: "The Multistrada 1260 retains the defining traits of the family – clean surfaces, taut lines and contrasting front and rear visual mass – and brings them to an unprecedented level of quality and finish. The new side fairing panels lend the front end a neater, sleeker look." The frame of the 1200, 1200S & D|Air is now pained grey for the 1260, only the 1260 Pikes Peak has a red frame.
    • Wheels: The Multistrada 1260, 1260 S and 1260 S D|Air feature light alloy five Y-spoke wheels, which are 340 grams lighter than those used in the Multistrada 1200. Gold coloured wheels on the 1200S & D|Air in the Ice White and Volcano Grey colours. Black wheels for the Standard and 1200S in Ducati Red. Same rim and tyre sizes as the 1200 models (not Enduro obviously).
    • New Display / Setup Menus: Improvements to navigation include a thoroughly revised interface for the new 5” TFT instrument panel of the Multistrada 1200 S and D|Air. The new TFT panel offers higher resolution (now 186.59 PPI – 800xRGBx480), improved readability in the sun, improved graphic layout for user-friendly navigation through the menus, and selectable settings. In addition, Riding Modes have been assigned different colours so they are easier to identify: Sport mode is associated with red, Touring mode with white in night mode and black in day mode, Urban mode with grey and Enduro with brown. The Multistrada 1260 (Standard) features a high-visibility LCD instrument panel with a revised information layout and simplified menu management. Accessing the menus is made easier by new icons for the left switchgear: an empty dot means a simple press of the button is required; a solid dot means you need to press the button longer.
    Other changes (over the 1200S MY2017) which I spotted from the Ducati press release of the Multistrada 1260:
    • New throttle control: works in conjunction with the Ride By Wire system to control engine power output. This new control system provides smoother throttle response for enhanced riding experience.
    • Engine brake control: now responds differently in each individual gear.
    • Cruise control: recalibrated to give the utmost riding comfort.
    • New Clutch slave cylinder: more compact design, integrated design
    • Suspension: The DSS (Ducati Skyhook Suspension) Evolution system has now been developed even further. This evolved version includes a new Sachs fork with pressurised damper cartridge and low-friction stanchion, a sensor to control the action of the rear damper plus software that also handles data from the Bosch IMU and features new algorithms.
    • Rear grab handle: derived from the Multistrada 1200 Enduro, which can now accommodate the Touratech aluminium side panniers offered as an alternative to the plastic panniers (both optional).
    • Self cancelling indicators: New to the 1260 is the auto-cancel feature for turn indicators triggered by lean angle. Thanks to the Inertial Platform, the turn indicators self-cancel after a turn is completed or after covering a certain distance (which ranges from 200 to 2,000 metres depending on riding speed at the time the indicator button was pressed).
    • New Hands Free system: with enhanced security.
    • Cornering ABS: Bosch-Brembo 9.1ME Cornering ABS system (120 was quoted as 9ME, functionality appears to be the same as the 1200, maybe just new software / calibration.
    • New underseat profiles: for seat height adjustment. They have been resized to be less obvious when installed. Rumour has it that the rider's seat is different as well.
    • New number plate holder: looks longer presumably to get it clear of the rear wheel now the swingarm is nearly two inches longer.
    • LED rear turn indicators: 1200 had bulbs, the only bulbs on the 1200S.
    • New belt covers: feature the DVT logo on a metal support.
    • New colour for engine covers: the generator and clutch covers are now painted in the new “Mercury Grey” colour.
    • The music media player: on the TFT dashboard has been improved for when a smartphone is connected.
    • Upgraded trip master for the Enduro Riding Mode: now can be paused, set to display distance left to travel and activated more quickly.
    • New Ducati Link App: A new feature of the new Ducati Link App is the ability to set several motorcycle parameters, such as the different Riding Modes, directly from the rider’s smartphone. Also included is an “Alert and Info Service” that reminds users of maintenance intervals or alerts them to any abnormal operation, providing information and the ability to contact Dealer directly.A reward system gives prizes to users who reach several different goals based on the use of their motorcycles and different riding experiences.
    Everything else appears to be the same. Any weight difference isn't mentioned in the press release, and from a breif look at the technical specifications the weight hasn't changed between the 1200 and 1260 models.

1260 Pike Peak: In addition to the S version, the new Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak is equipped with the Ducati Performance by Termignoni approved exhaust system (slip on), carbon fibre windscreen and additional Plexiglas windscreen, Öhlins top range suspensions, carbon fibre front mudguard, carbon fibre air intake covers, carbon Hands-Free cover. The Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak comes equipped with new forged aluminium wheels, which are lighter than those of the Multistrada 1260 S. In addition, the bike is fitted with the Öhlins fork and Öhlins TTX36 shock, which can both be adjusted mechanically.

The other change is the price (from the Ducati Aylesbury website):
    • 1260 Standard, Ducati Red only - £14,295
    • 1260S
      • Ducati Red - £17,195
      • Iceberg White & Volcano Grey - £17,395
    • 1260 Pike Peak - £20,795
    • Add Touring Pack (factory Fitted) - £949
      • Plastic Panniers, Main Stand & Heated Grips
    • Warranty Extensions, only available when purchasing a new bike
      • 12 Months (3 years total) - £349
      • 24 Months (4 years total) - £649
    It's said that Multistrada 1260 models should start appearing in UK dealers in December, so could be available for customer delivery a lot earlier than the 1200 DVT models when released in 2015.

Please let me know if I've got it wrong or missed something. Additions in blue text & notes below:
    --

I won't be buying a 1260 any time soon - I traded in my 1200S MY2015 a couple of months ago for a 1200S MY2017. I convinced myself to wait for the 2019 version of the 1260 so as not to suffer any new model problems and to have a full range of third party accessories available. But I do like the sound of all that extra torque. Hope I can resist after I've had a test ride, at least for a year.

#311 steveb123, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Sounds like quite a lot of evolutionary changes there. Enough to consider changing IMHO.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Good work Steveb :upyeah:

I agree bradders, making it difficult to go for a 17 unless it's significantly cheaper to the extent of being a bargain too good to miss. :yum
    I feel an 18 S coming on :blush:

• Like Like x 1
  14. The new app parts are s bit follow on from VAG product. Sounds like you may want to set the permissions up carefully: what will the dealer do with the data it receives? And what data will they really get...

15. I'll get myself a test ride but will probably wait a year before changing, I still ride my bikes too much and the milage usually drops my trade in value.
    PS When I bought my last bike I just got the heated grips and Aux lights from the accessory catalogue and got the dealer to fit them free rather than buy 'packages' and end up with stuff I didn't want.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. SteveB123....

Thanks for taking the time to write that lot up...

Has helped me understand all the forthcoming reasons to want a new one but having been bitten by my Pani a while back, I too will wait for 2nd revision.

Cheers.!!

17. I had the Volcano Grey Multi on a European trip in June '17. I love taking photos of my bike in cool places, passes, lakes. The dark colour would not come alive through my lens in any light. Weird to say it but the Grey just doesn't look impressive in photos...

18. Interesting that the 1260 Pikes Peak is the only model to have a red frame, with other models reverting back to grey frames.
    I wonder if Ducati would have sold more 2015/16/17 PP models if the standard and S models had grey frames? It certainly made my decision to buy an ‘S’ a whole lot easier as I’ve always been a sucker for the PP colour scheme. It made the replica process a simple job.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The 2" longer wheelbase sounds not great to me. Unless they're messing with the head angle/trail, that'll make for a slower handling bike. Upside will be more stable loaded, but less like a sport bike.

20. They have: iirc, an degree steeper on the head angle

Do Not Sell My Personal Information