1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT 2018 Multistrada

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Wayne58, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Yeah We must be due a meet up, maybe Loomies one day, sort of the middle, on a dry day ofc, was out Sat and Sunday last weekend :) We better also discuss 2018 DVT for a few minutes don't want to get off too topic :) again

2. With installed capital costs of offshore wind seemingly around £1M/MW (albeit very variable) and forward contract tariffs (auctioned - so includes cost+margin) of £57.50/MWh in 2022/23 (and with current costs already below £58/MWh - 5.8p/KWh), then raw payback time (excluding opex) for a 3MW offshore turbine is <5 years. Onshore is of course much cheaper to install in most places, but partially offset by lower load factors. But those figures will explain why wind energy has moved beyond the point at which subsidies are needed to incentivise it and are, indeed, being cut (one sensible thing that Britgov did was to allocate a fixed pot of money to subsidies, tied to production cost, so that the lower the cost of production, the more companies could apply for a grant, albeit at a lower value/MWh). Which is self-limiting and makes complete sense. I wouldn't call any part of that a scam.

3. Hmm....Technomad and Madprof ?? Strange that you 2 seem to be the big believers with those names eh :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Now, back to Multistradas. I'm deeply disappointed that the 2018 PP only has manual suspension and the pointless Termi end can. Given that I ride two-up a lot and over very mixed surfaces, that would be enough to push me at the 1260s. However, I wonder how long Ducati will withstand pressure to discount in what appears to be a plummeting market?

I think that sitting back and waiting a while might be wise. And yes, I so nearly called my local KTM dealer yesterday about the 1290GT, but I think that the 1260S could be a complete stonker (Scots: a Good Thing), having ridden that engine in the XDiavel. Whether that makes it worth a 60% premium over a now-discounted 1290GT is another matter however.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Might that be down to 'believing' on the back of verifiable data and an understanding of both technology and market? I know that evidence-based decision-making is incredibly unfashionable at the moment, but it does have its uses…

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Crap Crap x 1
  6. A reasonably spec'ed "S" is going to be the best part of 20k....Madness when so many other great bikes exist at near half that ? (PS, when are they gonna lob 5k off the Superduke "R" ? I'd be all over that)

7. Lets not start talking about Solid State Battery Design :p
    I saw a Kawasaki Z900 got to say was quite impressed and less than £8k
    I am glad I do not need to change for a while, in this weather I seem to aim straight towards the GS atm, (Note to self must put charger on the DVT) I would only change if I got a fantastic deal on a new DVT and good trade in for my old one.
    But then so far we have no real world reports on the new one, it might be the best thing since sliced bread.

• Like Like x 1
  8. In the XDiavel, the 1260 engine is just fantastic - no torque holes, just a seamless wave of torque to catapult you out of bends without raising a hair. The one I rode only had 300 miles on't clock, so I wasn't thrashing it so couldn't really comment on top-end. if it manages the trick of keeping the Ducati ballistic top-end with all that low-down grunt, it'll be magnificent. But £20kish is going to be a bit rich, though if it came with a top-box mounted wind turbine, it would be worth it… ;-)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  9. tbh I would jump at an X Diavel as a weekend bike (2nd) especially in the summer but it is so over priced, and I just cannot warrant having up to 40k of bikes in the garage for pleasure.

10. If your back's anything like mine, that would be an XDiavel with the rear-mounted footpegs: after 30 miles at decent road speeds, it took my back three weeks to recover from the stock riding position. Lovely looking machine though, and hilariously quick.

11. I agree, the price is a little strong (well ok, a lot strong).
    I was pretty much set on buying a new bike next year, and had convinced myself the 1260 would be the way to go.
    Trouble is, I'm struggling convincing myself ~18k on a bike is a good decision.

I find the new bike quite bland looking. I really wish they had kept the red frame.
    Buying a bike that I see as being bland is not sitting well at the moment.
    I really need to ride one to convince myself I cant do without it :yum

Btw, Technomad, I have also driven the Tesla X. A nice car but cant help wondering just how practical the rear doors will be when its pissing it down, or worse still, snowing. Also we couldnt make it work with dogs in the back as he simply climbed straight over the rear seat, nothing to keep him in the boot. Plus the price is rather eye watering, even for a company purchase.

12. Oh dear lord, don't get the techno twins going again!! They are a bargain and the best thing since time began apparently :upyeah::cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Sorry Wayne, I can't help meself :p:laughing:

Bargain is relative, eh. Your R8 is a bargain compared to an Aston, its still a feckin huge lump of cash to some though :yum
    Same is true for the new multi. I dont intend to sell my 2012 ohlins bike, so its definitely a luxury which I can affort, just not sure I want to :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yes, was being sarcastic, the Tesla is an extortionate rip off imo. :cool:
    You're gonna have a 1200 multi and a 1260?

PS. R8 sold :upyeah:

15. Agreed entirely on the red frame: that in Volcano Grey looked fabulous on the '17 bike and would have been a no-brainer for me on the '18 (those ST4s genes…). All grey looks just frumpy in the pics.

I'm guessing you drove one of the earlier Model Xs? They've now done the sensible thing and the five-seater has a backrest that folds flat and will take a dog guard. Like most cars do. I drove an early one too and flagged that as an issue - that and the incredibly slow, touchy Falcon Wing doors.

The one they lent me last month had the updated door firmware and they worked really, really well: also excellent for loading and off-loading aged parents - better than anything else we've driven. We took the mums out for lunch in it and they felt like royalty, as we rocked up to the front of the restaurant, pressed the button and they stepped out like Cinders to the ball, to an appreciative crowd… :-D

As for price, the Jag and Audi will be in the £60-70K range and the Porker probably £90k+ when it arrives, so the MX doesn't look too out of order in that company, other than the P100D, which is a foolish price. I'd hold out for a Model Y but, by the time that hits the UK, all the incentives will probably have faded away (and we'll all be living new lives in the off-world colonies anyway).

• Like Like x 2
  16. Wayne, I know you were being sarky, this thread has had me laughing a number of times at the banter from you guys :)
    I hope you replaced the R8 with something suitably expensive ;)
    Yep, don't want to sell my 1200. I regret selling my senna grey st4s and not gonna make the same mistake with this. I have a bunch of bikes and the wife already knows I'm a lost cause :blush:
    She has given approval for the 1260 if I need to, which is handy :cool:

Richard, I drove the X in about august. They did tell me there was a bench rear seat (didn't have one at the time though), but it's just not appealing enough to get Sally to swap her evoque for it. I work opposite the dealers and rather than grow on me, they look rather boring to me now.
    On an entirely different track, I saw a ford transit MS-RT at a bike event at the weekend and quite fancy one of them now :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 2
  17. I'm simply suffering from a lack of garage space: it's the old coach house, so marginal anyway, and is currently stuffed with bicycles and Ducatis (yes, including my old grey ST4s) - something would have to give if I were to add to the stable. Unless I can persuade G that the 749R would make a good art installation for the music room…

18. You need to build another barn :grinning:

19. I saw the 1260 over in Milan a few weeks back. My personal opinion of the selection:
    1260 Standard - My first Ducati (can't afford one but hey? I'm worth it) 1 or or 2 up
    1260 S - The Mutistrada with all the toys and electronics (why change a good thing, subtle upgrades) 2up or 1 up
    1260 PP - The kick ass sports bike of the range, trim the fat - reduce the weight of electronic suspension, Red or Dead Frame! 1up Because its mine and if your very lucky i may give you a backer but not regularly because its my bike to ride it like i stole it (within the speed limits) 1 up

Just wanted the bring the thread back to the topic with my own personal view as of today!!!
    Anybody know of any dates when dealers are hoping to get their paws on Demo bikes? I'll travel to throw my leg over and bring her for a rip

20. Dealer is still saying they will see them this side of christmas, so within the next 3 and a bit weeks.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information