1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT 2018 Multistrada

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Wayne58, Apr 9, 2017.

1. dunno if mentioned already, but TPMS is an option on all versions :)

2. OK, but what exactly does the TPMS option consist of? What parts? How are they fitted? How do they work? Anybody know?

3. parts build into the rim & readable from the dash

4. Most modern tpms are fitted to the rear of the valve stem. Older versions used to be held by a strap.
    There will also need to be a receiver module, which I hope they have built into the ecu / dash.

I expect this will be a software enabled setting.
    So best case it's a software setting and a couple of sensors & valve stems.
    Worst case it needs an additional receiver module or pickups too if not built in.

If you have to pay the dealer to fit them, it's the cost to remove and replace each wheel / tyre, then configure it. I would guess at about 1 to 2 hours labour on top of parts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I assume that all neccessary hardware is already present when I look at the TFT screen and knowing its an option on all models
    As you say, I think too its just a matter of installing the valve stems and perhaps setting up the software.

6. Had my 1260PP since mid December and loving it...it really is everything I expected and more compared to my 1200S DVT.
    I haven’t read the owners manual yet but have seen a feature on the dash to calibrate the wheel/tyre sizes (or something like that) I wasn’t aware of a TPMS option and am wondering if it just uses relative wheel speeds to detect possible low tyre pressure? (Like some cars do)

9B16C263-2D79-4185-BACC-B4EAF3A317A0.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  7. Read through the owners manual, no mention of TMPS at all though the two tyre pressure readings are shown on a layout picture of the dash in the Enduro mode.

8. Could you do me a favour and check your owners manual as to the 1260 max load weight.
    I'm wondering if the longer swing arm has reduced the carrying capacity.
    Have you found the geometry changes on the 1260 have slowed the handling noticeably ??,and as far as power characteristics' do you have enough miles on the new one to be able to give us some sort of feed back on the differences

9. See the attached spec pages from the 1260 manual, hope this helps.

I’m still running in but I can say that the 1260 engine feels much stronger in the bottom to mid-range, I cant comment on the top-end yet though am trying my best to get some miles on so I can give it the beans! The 1260 makes itself felt more than the 1200DVT (in my case anyhow) what I mean is there’s more vibration when pulling hard from low rpm, it’s not unpleasant, just feels and sounds different. The power delivery is very linear up to my max of 7-8k rpm. Fuelling seems spot-on, pulls cleanly from any engine speed above 1500rpm. It’s averaging >50mpg so far. Absolutely no regrets in upgrading from the 1200S DVT in my opinion.

C6C6C9D4-FAA1-4C5F-BFE4-DC9B1B3E4F34.jpeg

CF2E3A56-5DA6-45CD-9984-99CD23769840.jpeg

7EFB715A-586A-42AB-9336-3321037F9CB8.jpeg

10. FDDBCB32-F3A1-4D14-B9FD-FF3653E40C5C.jpeg 03A5508E-254A-49AC-B5AC-045B3E9C2881.jpeg CF83F716-6C79-42C6-92CD-BC39A794A6FD.jpeg See the attached spec pages from the 1260 manual, hope this helps.

I’m still running in but I can say that the 1260 engine feels much stronger in the bottom to mid-range, I cant comment on the top-end yet though am trying my best to get some miles on so I can give it the beans! The 1260 makes itself felt more than the 1200DVT (in my case anyhow) what I mean is there’s more vibration when pulling hard from low rpm, it’s not unpleasant, just feels and sounds different. The power delivery is very linear up to my max of 7-8k rpm. Fuelling seems spot-on, pulls cleanly from any engine speed above 1500rpm. It’s averaging >50mpg so far. Absolutely no regrets in upgrading from the 1200S DVT in my opinion.

Changing from Skyhook to Öhlins has probably masked the geometry changes in my case - I’m not comparing apples with apples I’m afraid. All I can say is that the Pikes Peak handles superbly on factory settings for me.

11. Thanks for the prompt reply, max all up weight of 450kg is same as 1200dvt so no problem there.
    Considering the longer stroke crank its not surprising there is a bit more vibration under power, but is there anymore more vibs while cruising ??

12. Once the throttle demand backs off then it feels no different to my old 1200DVT in terms of vibration.

Handling is very different to the Skyhook equipped 1200DVT though I'm sure that can be wholly attributed to the Öhlins - it's a brilliant set-up IMO. Can't believe I've scrubbed the new tyres in right up to the edges on these damp/dirty roads. Can't wait the weather to improve!

13. I cant make my mind up between an 1260S with skyhook or pikes peak without, I know you say you like the handling,which also appeals to me as well, but I do a fair bit of two up riding and touring, would you say the Pikes Peak is a firm ride or not..?

I currently have a 2010 MY with Ohlins SCU, which as been brilliant

Appreciate any feed back you can give me..

14. Exactly the same position here, with a 2010/SCU - if the PP had the semiactive Ohlins, I'd have ordered by now. As it is, I have a dilemma…

15. Same here, and dealer only has a 1260S demo, says they won’t have a pikes peak to test ride, it’s a lot of money to get it wrong..

16. Does anybody know if the panniers from a 16 plate dvt will fit on the new 2018 version?

For that matter wil the topbox as well?

Thanks.

17. On the factory default setting the ride is quite firm compared to my old 1200S DVT. I'm no suspension expert but surely backing off the compression/rebound damping front and rear would 'soften' the ride? That's all the Skyhook can adjust electronically I guess, spring rates are what they are after all...adjusting pre-load doesn't alter the spring-rate, just the sag when the bike is loaded up. Hope an expert can comment on my assumptions!

18. I've fitted the rack & top-box from my 2015 1200S DVT - no problems. Not sure about the panniers though. I did enquire about a pair for my 1260PP and the part numbers are different to those for the 1200 DVT (but I guess that does not necessarily mean they are actually different and that the older ones won't fit) If anyone has a pair of 1200 DVT ones and want to try them on my bike I'm happy to give it a go!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information