1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Forum Germany Trip 09-14 April

Discussion in 'Touring' started by bradders, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Don't hold your breath.
    Unless someone sneezes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(19)30328-5/fulltext

Some context, though if my risk factor was more than being 54 years old, I might think twice..
    Lets see how silly the situation gets. High coronavirus cases some parts Germany (Cochem seems to be in the middle of them!) North France and Mullhouse area and East side Vosges...etc.
    Another fornight and its going to be nearly impossible to avoid.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Bear in mind two are already on the continent and the other is from the tough north. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cochem does attract lots of old walkers and type

5. Also cruise boats...:mask::mask::mask::mask::mask:

6. I might head down towards Nice!

7. Cant work out if the whole thing is being overplayed or not.

8. It is. Been in UK a month. 60m people. Less that 200 cases (who all pretty much has been to Italy or China). 2 rip, both who were well aged and had other underlying health issues. In the same period, UK has probably had 500 people die from seasonal flu.

#128 bradders, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. We are heading up to in-laws in Brittany two weeks time.
    My last job in UK would involve 20 plus surveys a week. All at different customers/locations. Plus an hour visit to an office.

Wuhan I would avoid but not convinced the trip is a greater risk than day to day living tbh. Just not going to go around licking surfaces or Mcdonalds touch screens!

10. 200 confirmed cases, i.e. people who have had the test and shown positive for the virus.
    The iceberg below the water is people who:
    - are infected but not yet shown symptoms, or
    - are infected but symptoms are mild so they ignore it and carry on, or
    - are infected but no test was available so no confirmation, or
    - have already died but death was attributed to something else so no confirmation.

You can choose the believe that all of the iceberg is above water, if you like. Lots of folk in Italy, Iran, and S Korea believed exactly that - until last week, when they sadly found otherwise.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Or, you can take the evidence that 200 from 60m are confirmed infected. How many would go to the doctor with a mild flu or heavy chesty cold? You’d hope not many....
    I work with plenty of ‘what about’ people. It’s simply hysteria at this stage.
    And MSM love it!

12. No need to cancel now ... I'll leave it as late as possible and see what the situation is then. I recommend everyone to check the terms and conditions of their bookings.

My Eurotunnel booking can be changed for a later date at a cost of just £4. My booking at the Hotel Karl Noss & Gästehaus Friedrichs can be cancelled with no penalty up to 14 days before arrival - so that would be 3 weeks time on 24th March. https://switch.seekda.com/switch/reservation/email/guest/EN/DE_000005/DSR062VYZT5SI?pin=096003

If Cochem doesn't look like a goer at that point then I'll be looking at an alternative "Staycation" in the UK as a Plan B for the same 6 days from Wed 8th - Monday 13th April. Scotland is bit far from me in Exeter (2 days there and 2 days back on nice roads or a horrible long single day trudge on the motorway) but something like Wales or the Lakes/Dales/Peaks might be an idea. What do you all think?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Whatever we chose to do I want to make a definite choice before the hotel cancellation cut of time comes around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Agreed. When is that for you @Andy800 ?

15. That’s why I did mine. It was yesterday deadline.

16. Same as you, 14 days before so 25th March
    @Jbiker and I are sharing so Ideally should make a collective choice. Currently I'd be happy pulling the plug and looking at reconvening later in the year when this Corona nonsense has hopefully passed and the weather is statistically more favourable. Cancelling now means no cost of accommodation, I'll get my holiday back at work, all I'll lose is a tunnel outbound journey as I never booked the return trip.
    @Dave did you mention a trip in July :)
    @bradders I think you've made the right choice

#136 Andy800, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  17. Agreed. I have cancelled the Noss Hotel, at nil cost. I too booked one way tunnel only at £44, so will lose that (or maybe use it after all, who knows?).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Easter tour of Wales is an attractive possible option. Brecon/Pembroke/Snowdonia - what's not to like? Pencil it in at this stage, I think.

19. Actually I have just pushed my Euro Tunnel booking back from 8 April to 26 June, which cost NIL. I have no idea if I'll be going anywhere on 26 June, so it's just a contingency.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Going to do the same, pick a date sometime when it should be warm

Do Not Sell My Personal Information