1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Forum Germany Trip 09-14 April

Discussion in 'Touring' started by bradders, Dec 23, 2019.

1. I have to do something, as wife has fried coming to stay and I won’t want to hang about...going to check weather closer to time to decide how far to trek. May do wales, then find route to lakes.

2. I’m game @bradders

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hotel cancelled..
    Open to suggestions for plan B but might wait until mid season.

4. Makes sense the way its going.

Some touring in South France for me in August instead :upyeah:

5. Remind me where you’d be coming from @Andy800 ?

One option would be the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District National Parks. I did a similar trip last year and it was excellent. Bloody gorgeous scenery and roads.

6. Derby/Nott’m border. J25 M1

7. Cool. when I did this kind of trip last year I rode up to Nottingham from Exeter via the Fosse Way and stayed overnight, setting off with the rest of the group from there to ride up through the Peak District to the Dales.

@bradders and I could perhaps do something similar? What do you both think? I wonder whether I should find some accommodation in the Dales where we can make a cancel-at-no-cost reservation just so we have the option?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hi All.
    Anyone left on this trip? to Cockham

9. @Dave happy to do something. Not done Yorkshire before. Lakes only in a car.

I thought I may go south to north then wales, cut across to England and wind home.

10. Cancelled also :mask:

Lakes/Peaks/Dales sounds like a good plan B though - never done and can visit family in Derby’s too which would be a bonus.
    Need someone with local knowledge to form a plan then...:thinkingface:

11. I haven’t cancelled yet.

12. I can probably get route details from the guy that organised the trip I did last year.

• Like Like x 1
  13. A yes from me :upyeah:

14. Ok ... I have detailed biking route details from my mate for the following. We could add a day either end to get to and from the Notts area using scenic routes, and even add an extra day in the middle if we wanted to.

Day 1 - From Nottingham via Matlock Bath up through the Peak District and the Yorkshire Dales.
    Day 2 - Day tour round the Lake District including the Wrynose and Hardknott passes and all the major Lakes including the ferry across Windermere.
    Day 3 - More of the Yorkshire Dales including Tan Hill and the highest Inn in England, and the Wensleydale Cheese Factory.

We usually stay in the beautiful but very small village of Dent. If we can't get rooms at either of the pubs there then the next best bet would be Kirkby Lonsdale.

Who's in? How many days would you prefer?

If I can get an indication of numbers then I will investigate and find somewhere suitable to stay with parking and a cancel-at-no-cost reservation option. We'll at least then have this up our sleeves to keep us amused over the Easter Weekend if we aren't all self-isolating by then ;-)

15. Never mind the cheese factory, good fish and chips on the main street!

16. Yes. Would be only fri-Monday for me.

17. Btw, Hardknott pass, keep a little distance between bikes, its a very awkward pass. Not preaching, just seen several small offs on there.

18. That would mean either blasting straight up to the Dales on Day 1 and missing out the nice ride through the Peaks, or blasting straight home on Day 4 and seeing less of the Dales. How about leaving home on the Thursday?

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 08.03.24.png

19. Could meet you somewhere on the Friday later.

20. Ok just to let everyone know I have pulled out as well of the original Cochem trip :(

Do Not Sell My Personal Information