1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2v Superbike Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by andrewinuk, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Like the bike stand! :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. ha ha yeah the stand has been excellent, you have so helped out with that!!

with the issues i've had with the swingarm, the stand has meant that i can actually move forward. so indeed, big thumbs up on the stand :)

3. Glad you could use it.

4. Evo engine is 6kg lighter than DS. That is the reason I put an evo in mine

5. OMG 6KG! that is a lot....... to be honest if i was starting from scratch again, i'd possibly go with different forks and an evo engine but it won't be a "bad" bike with the DS engine. at the moment i just need to focus on getting through the build and getting riding as this has overshot by a year already. i am finding it especially hard at the moment to ignore putting an ST3 top end on the bike with an electric water pump, but that is another level of complexity that can wait till a later phase :)

6. The Kevlar fuel tank at over a grand is my big sticking point. Same price as the Evo engine and no other benefit than 4kg weight saving. To buy or not to buy hmmm

7. it is a slippery slope...........

8. Blimey - hope its not all in the flywheel? There's 8 kgs to come off me before I worry about more off the bike. I shouldn't have stopped smoking :)

9. Thinking its just the cases that save the weight, but happy to be corrected as it will reduce my regrets in not having evo cases :)

10. At last! Engine cases machined and into the frame........ it all fits! Next step, plan out the airbox, fuel tank and seat...... hoping to make the Donnington Ducati track day so I need to get a move on!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  11. :upyeah: beauty, who did the work on the stem?

12. Nice when they be rollin' :Artist:

• Like Like x 1
  13. The stem was done by Jim Cray, doyen of all things BMW twin.... he does some machining and welding for my BMW R100R with a KTM front end on it.

Basically I asked him to cut the top off one GSXR stem and add a longer bit of a second GSXR stem i bought.... in hindsight, i probably could have got away with the standard suzuki length by using a shorter stack of lock nuts under the top triple....

... and here is the BMW in its various modes :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. What's your plan for the electrical installation?

15. I think it is the cases.....

16. as there is a slim chance i can get this road registered one day...... i'm going to use a Moto Gadget mUnit as the basis, but keep the whole thing pretty simple to start..... so just the 1100ds charging and ignition wiring with a start button and a rear brake light. i have three Ultrabatt multiMighty's that i'll use.... though i might be able to get away with just using two.... i do love lithium batteries :)

i'd have ditched the starter but i have had no luck with push starting bikes with high compression :-/

17. .....you're not helping........ ;-)

18. Super cool project. I wish I had the skills and facilities to do stuff like this.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ha ha i wish i had some skills, you are too kind :) ..... and the facilities are a constant frustration...... a corridor in Access Self Storage is not ideal and if it weren't for Ray and the guys at Rosso Corse in Bethnal Green for emergency support, i'd be stuffed!!

but enough moaning from me, i need to build an airbox!!

20. I do like the M-unit, though a bit overkill for a track bike, but I see the logic if you are going to road register. Have you considered start rollers? If not, a compromise would be keep the starter motor, but use an external battery for starting via an Andersen connector. What ignition are you going to use, Ignitech or something else?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information