1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30 Years Since Lockerbie (almost)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Robarano, Dec 4, 2018.

1. I thought this was an interesting piece with pictures today in the Mail. It'll be 30 years since Lockerbie on 21st December this year, it certainly doesn't feel like 30 years.

I bought a bike from there about 10 years ago and naturally, out of morbid curiosity, got talking to the guy I bought it from about the disaster. To hear somebody who was there tell you some of the things that he saw (body parts in the streets etc) was quite an eye opener. I dropped the conversation pretty quickly as it was still a very emotive issue for him and I assume the people of the town. :(

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...aphs-tiny-Scottish-town-changed-30-years.html

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Remember it well my brothers girlfriends cousin was on it

Some places will always sound that bell of a dark disaster Aberfan, Hungerford etc.

Must sill lie close to the surface if in living memory

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. How awful. One of my best friends at the time was due to fly on it with his GF. They missed the flight because they was late getting to the airport.

4. I had to drive to Scotland the day after, and from the A74, houses without roofs/smoke rising could clearly be seen. An awful act of inhumanity.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I was part of Repair and Salvage Squadron (RSS) in the RAF at the time. Our whole squadron mobilised from RAF Abingdon to go up there.
    The younger members of our squadron were sitting in fields guarding bodies with little or no cold weather gear, while their families were getting ready for Christmas with the money that their housing benefit paid. Each was paired up with a police officer who was paid four times as much and had warm clothing issued to him.
    Bad memories.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information