1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40 Years Since Thatcher

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by richgilb, May 6, 2019.

1. yer multistrada, you wazzock

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. My, so far limited, research into how great Thatcher was has led me to.

She was voted in because people wanted change.

She fixed the union problems in industries by shutting down the industries.
    She was very good at coming up with things so that people voted for her again (council houses etc).

What am I missing ?

3. After losing much support from, and popularity with, the Public due to her domestic policies, she, in concert with Ronald Reagan, led the Argentinian Junta to believe that the UK could not and would not defend the Falkland Islands if a foreign power attacked.

Allegedly.

Best Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the Conservative Party ever.

Allegedly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I had that grouped under things that won her the vote. Sorry I should have been more specific.

She must have done something right for some people to say she was such a great PM ?

5. Well, people who do not subscribe to wild conspiracy theories believe that Thatch did right by the Falkland Islanders.

6. Maggie produced economic policies that reversed the recession and the high unemployment numbers.
    People were ready for it after labours winter of discontent.
    Her philosophy and policies lead to privatisation, deregulation, more flexibility and most importantly castrated the unions.
    You have to recall the 70's under labour, then Maggie's popularity would make sense to you.

7. Don’t know about conspiracy theories - seems it was a vote winner though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Well, there’s the EU rebate....https://www.ft.com/content/8844cf0c-3aaa-11e9-b72b-2c7f526ca5d0

9. Try google search for ‘Thatcher EU rebate’. It gives a couple of FT results which open from there, but not as Linky.

10. I don’t remember the 70’s that well, I would have been 5-15 and didn’t take much notice of politics if I’m honest.
    Please bear with me and I’m happy to be corrected.
    How did she reverse unemployment numbers ? I thought a lot of industries collapsed during her time (not saying it was necessarily her that caused it).
    Was it Thatcher who introduced compulsory further education (thought that was Labour) to reduce the number of unemployed youngsters ?
    The benefits / downfalls of Privatisation are perhaps yet another discussion to be had. I’d say in general a bad thing.

A small request can we stick to calling her Thatcher or Mrs Thatcher is you prefer that. My youngest daughter is named Maggie, I keep reading stuff and thinking ‘My daughter did what!’

11. Fair enough, Homer.

12. Ok. Thanks.

Well that’s one good thing then.

13. Took me a bit to get that one. :)

I do sometimes enjoy telling people my daughter is named after Mrs Thatcher or Maggie Simpson.
    The Thatcher approach gets some interesting responses.

14. I remember you saying previously.

• Like Like x 1
  15. British and Argies servicemen lifes lost needlessly for a little rock in the Atlantic for nothing other than greed that's no conspiracy that's the truth. The land belongs to the Lord not the Landlords.

16. Her popularity was confined only to own her party, who eventually stabbed her in the back. Worst PM in my lifetime imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. My mind is literally open on the issue.

I am certain though that the loss of life could have been avoided if Reagan had "discouraged" the Argentinian adventurous spirit in this regard.

18. Sorry to hear that you died before May became PM. My condolences.

• Love You Love You x 1
  19. Agressive warmongering bitch that's what she was.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information