1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40 Years To The Month…

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Expat Jack, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Yes, the Ducati day.
    Have been living abroad and running with slicks/warmers for several years, but with the time off the bike and unknown powerpoint availability due toMSV application of social distancing etc, I am considering buying some decent street rubber. Over 10 yrs since I rode Donington too. At the moment I feel more ponderous about the whole thing than actually looking forward to it.

I'm sure that will change once I hear all the bikes running in the paddock that morning.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Totally get this. I started worrying about August last night on my way home. I am just going to ride within myself and the bikes capabilities. That way I will enjoy the day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Street rubber is capable mate. Just remember that the UK tracks don't have the grip of the euro tracks, and race rubber has shed loads more grip. Takes approx two laps to get any real heat in to the tyres as well.

You'll be fine bud

• Like Like x 1
  4. Did you use the tyres that came on the bike mate and if so what were they and what did you think to them?

5. Ask him if he rode home on them too :astonished:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Yes mate, bog stock. They are Bridgestone RS11's (not the R11 dot road legal track tyre) these are the road ones.

They're pretty good, typical bridgestone front end really (pretty damn good). I hustled them a bit on the friday chasing @Graeme and they did slide a fair bit, but they were very predictable and totally usable. I tested them thoroughly in the wet as well and they were faultless. I've now done 600 miles on these tyres and 400 of that was track and they're totally fine.

Sylvain Guintoli did a 1:37 around Donington on RS11's !!

I'll possibly put the R11's on next, we'll see

04625C76-3484-40A6-B9C8-82B6656A0361.jpeg 04B0A9A7-13BC-438D-B2EA-2DF0A592BC83.jpeg DEB21ECA-B410-4ED6-A581-CA77EE354E55.jpeg

#26 Advikaz, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  7. I was thinking you’d be more inclined to commission something pastoral in the style of Gainsborough, or perhaps something more impressionistic like Rain, Steam and Speed by JMW Turner?

upload_2020-6-29_13-46-37.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Same as I have fitted. I think I'll still put the VO2's on for next week though. I spoke to Bob about using the R11's but he said the VO2's are slightly better and they wear better being a slick.

I watched the SG video. Pretty impressive.

• Agree Agree x 1

9. Yeah the R11 is a real step above the Rs11's i have. V02's are very very good!

10. What a great write up EJ, sounds like you had a brilliant day. On the basis there’s only one track here in Ireland I may have to make a trip to the UK :thinkingface:.

Now, a question on something you didn’t address, what were the others like on the day ? Gung ho, wannabe racers bullying your mobile chicane out of the way? Knobs with the biggest bestest stuff bragging about this that and the other but then can’t ride, or was everyone very civil, courteous and gentlemanly ?

11. Good question Paul.
    Most were there for fun and were courteous. I never got bullied, and I certainly did not bully anyone. Some in novice were on slicks with warmers, several 1000’s which worried me as we lined up. But I soon found that I did not need to be concerned about them, just myself.
    With the bigger bikes I did find it frustrating at times as i tended to be ok on corners then they pulled away so passing safely exercised the grey matter (which once I accepted the power differential was good fun BTW). There were others on lesser bikes than mine who were quicker than me too, so it’s the same for everyone.
    Couple of very slow guys which was fine unless they slowed early at the end of a straight with several bikes behind them - bloody good brakes on the Triumph o_O Bunching was when it got.... interesting and I had to resist the temptation to overtake on the brakes several times - treat others as you would like to be treated.
    I watched the inters and fast guys. Some people are spending a lot of money on track days but there were people in lesser bikes who were faster in all groups. Two ladies in the Novice group who were both pretty competent to my eyes - one was having tuition.
    If you do want to try it (why not?) send Adam a PM and he will no doubt sort you out and keep you safe. You can always hire a bike if you don’t want to use yours.
    Keeps you young:cool:

• Like Like x 4
  12. Great thread and brilliant write up @Expat Jack looks like you really had fun.
    Makes me think I might have to do something like that myself next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. By and large it’s not like that at all. Twattish riding that gets your attention is unusual. The majority of riders are spot on. But as with all walks of life, you get the odd twat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Thank you, it was good fun and felt like an achievement. Seriously think about instruction if it’s your first time for a while. I can’t stress enough how helpful Adam was to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Nice to see some positive TD news :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Just got the pics through from Axel Dowle Photographic [email protected]

First pic has neil Hodgson in the background I think.

AR6A3443.JPG AR6A4497.JPG AR6A93641.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Mega

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information