1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 48 Tooth Clutch Replacement Advice Appreciated

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Old Jock, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Quiet clutch mod for not only quietness but longevity, as the plate tangs are no longer bashing the baskets slots, so both last much, much longer.
    Derek got circa 35,000 miles out of a set of friction plates, I believe and the basket was still perfect.
    Lightness from using a reduced stack height, so less preload.
    Smoothness from the lithium grease, which does actually work. Don’t forget that most motorcycle clutches run in oil, so it’s not so very bizarre.
    I have an open clutch which no longer chatters but still jangles quite musically when you pull the lever.
    Nothing against the STM, I’m sure it’s great but just pointing out that the oem clutch can be made to be quiet, smooth, long lasting and light for relatively little money.

#21 Old rider, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Old rider. Can you give more detail how the mod works to stop the plates bashing the drum. Cheers.

3. The plain plate slots have a square bottom or end to them but the friction slots have a rounded bottom or end to them, so if you put a friction plate in first, rather than a plain, that plate jams into the curved bottom end of the slots and prevents the stack from chattering or oscillating, preventing the bashing, noise and wear. Simples

#23 Old rider, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Nice one. Thanks :upyeah:

5. I have this on my 1098, the first time it happened I was out on a long ride and really struggled to change gear, I bleed it from the slave (no difference) and primary which allowed me full use of my clutch again. I then changed the fluid because it was dark but my clutch fluid has darkened again after about 500 miles. I noticed yesterday neutral was a bit hard to find so I have bleed it from the primary and neutral is easy again. I think I may have a seal going in the primary cylinder so I better try and find a sealing kit for it. Has anybody used DOT5.1 yet? Apparently it has a higher boiling point but the same properties as DOT4.

6. Yup being using it for ages, absolutely no problem whatsoever on a 1098S

I have the MPL replacement slave to make the throw lighter and longer, never had any problems with needing to rebleed due to sticky selection though

Do Not Sell My Personal Information